SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
He tried that with many freeholders to HoF and the big set ups like Intu have pushed back and told him to do one.
Yeah, he made a statement along the lines of 'he tried to be flexible but the landlords didn't want to save the jobs' which is utterly ridiculous. I imagine he would have known before purchasing the company exactly what the rents are.

Landlords should be a little flexible but it can't be expected that they will provide premises for free or little profit.

As you say I'm sure Intu will either attract a tenant or divide the unit, modernise it and get other tenants.

I don't use HoF very often but the last time I was in it felt dark, was very light on customers and resembled a jumble sale in some areas. Plus, as is usual in such massive shops staff were clustered around having a natter (not wishing any ill to the staff of course and I wouldn't want to see job losses).

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Game in Newcastle has closed down suddenly. They were still taking pre orders last week with no indication anything was closing. Announced Friday that it was closing Sunday for the last time. That means Newcastle is now without a games shop and only Tesco, WhSmith and HMV stocking games with a very reduced range in each.
Adidas store is also closing / has closed according to the Chron. On the Game front online stores are much, much cheaper and send new games to you for the day of release and for PC digital (rather than physical) games are the norm (and some console gamers do this too).

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Also, hasn't the massively expanded Christmas market only just opened this weekend? It could have increased their footfall.
cities.
I think they're just clutching at straws. They were always in the Chron moaning about the Council when they were in the Grainger Market proper. Seems more likely that they just have 100%+ more competition now. Supermarkets sell craft beer (and some 'psuedo' craft beer), Fenwicks has a massive craft beer section, I think there is even a store in Stack now too.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Intu seems to be in the poo and if the rents are horrific with Intu diffing in their heels, who knows.
Intu have to dig their heels in on rent otherwise what's the point of being in business? Why trade if you're not making a profit?

A lot of businesses these days want their cake and to eat it too on renting, e.g. don't want the risk of investing the capital to own a building and paying for maintenance (depending on the lease) and refurbishment, but they don't want to pay for that risk transference either.

To be fair, Intu will probably eventually go out of business or reduce in size just due to the retail environment in the UK.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Is the HLB closed to pedestrians?

This area really should get more love. If Gateshead were mixed use then people moving to Newcastle City Centre would help give it plenty of passing trade. And maybe vice versa.

The traffic management makes Gateshead diabolical for anybody outside a metal shell. Converting this horrific constraint into an opportunity I think is key to unlocking the potential of the Town Centre.
No, HLB is open to pedestrians and cyclists. I think NP meant about it being closed to cars and only one way from Newcastle into Gateshead.

You're right that the problem with that little area is that it's effectively cut off by the way the road layout is structured.

Real shame that Block & Bottle had to move which is Heaton's gain I suppose.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Suspect the Metrocentre is a perfectly viable business so long as you don't pay to much to own it, and that Intu paid far too much.
It was a lot and won't have helped. I do think Intu's overall reported debt of £4.6bn (!!) is a major factor too.

I wonder if Intu offered a better deal on the Eldon Square Debenhams because that would have a much bigger impact on ES than losing the Metrocentre branch will.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Intu looks likely to go into administration. Forbesy saying there is 'absolutely no reason' for Eldon Square to close: 'Absolutely no reason' for Eldon Square to close down

Well, there is a big reason for it to close if there are very few shops or restaurants in it, demand for physical retail drops massively, or there is a second 'rona outbreak and it becomes commercially unviable.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
@No Opinion - absolutely, must be a worrying time for retail workers and no ill will towards them.

It seems the Council are sticking their heads in the sand to some extent and don’t recognise that change is inevitable and not everything will continue as before. These changes would have happened anyway but the virus has accelerated them.

Also agree about the impact of the centre on the city. It would surely be more sustainable to have smaller retail loops and / or more mixed use areas as set out in your proposal above.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
4.) If parts of ESSC do no harm, and could work economically, then don't demolish for the sake of it. If the Food Quarter by Monument could and should work, and doesn't need to be physically part of ESSC
The food bit 'should' work but from day 1 it was mostly inhabited by chains, a lot of which have either already gone bust or are likely to go bust. If it had some interesting independents or small chains it would be a different matter.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The problem with the ES food court is as you say the mid market is dying and PLCs tend to want to deal with PLCs so their tendency will be to work with chains rather than independents [or rather the 'deal', guarantees etc will de facto exlude micro businesses].
They’ll probably have no choice but to deal with smaller businesses now if they want to keep the place busy. Maybe even some initial rent-free periods.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
@No Opinion - There definitely needs to be much more emphasis on true mixed use developments with retail at ground (and maybe first) floor and then offices and residential above.

Unless the government starts taxing online retail heavily we won’t be going back to physical retail being the main channel.

JL leaving Eldon Square would also leave a massive void in the centre.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts