Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Yes as we have all said before Grainger Town development was in the long term a disappointment. As I have said now that the new pavements and furniture arent as shiny and new as they once were coupled with the huge number of empty properties the area- specifically on the Market Street/ Grainger St junction is looking rather forlorn. With the huge risks in retail these recessionary days trying to attract new retailers to that part of the city will be almost impossible due to no anchor store. The only ones that would be attracted would be the low cost cheap stores- almost a Clayton St extension really. With many new units becoming available in Eldon Sq (due to relocations not in the St Andrews Way as it all full really apart from one place) any new retailers will head to there with anchor stores such as Fenwicks, John Lewis, Debenhams and Marks and Spencer. I know I would.

East Pilgrim Street will never develop into a retail desination as the masterplan has been developed (at great tax payers money I must stress). There may be some small development where the Odeon is but other than that it is not feasible IMO. Hotel, Office, Leisure and Student Accom or even apartments would be more realistic and of course a bus station so we can get ridof the buses away from Blackett Street. I mean two new department stores- who in Gods name would be in them? I assume they are betting money on a High end Harvey Nicks but who else? There isnt any what with H of Fraser just a few miles away in the Metro Centre.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I am over the moon about Apple though. For me personally we need a Urban Outfitters in the city centre, and of course a Zara. I am intrigued as to who the large double unit in St Andrews new mall will be- it says In Negotiations but there has been no hint as to who it will be.
Big Lebowski- who do you reckon- looking at the size of the unit- who could be looking at it?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Yes the only unit left is the one right next to the entrance to the new mall near thorntons. Top Shop is also right next to the new mall and will provide some tenant a large floor space with entrances in the mall and also onto the corner of Percy/ Newgate/ Blackett junction so I would have expected this to be signed up- obviouly the weird design of the floors means it would mean considerable money to get it into the 21t century. Personally I think Urban Outfitters would fit into there more than the talked about large unit 'undernegotiation' near debenhams.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
New high-end fashion store has opened on Hood Street, Kiara Boutique.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/lifestyle-news/fashion-news-tips/2009/10/05/kiara-boutique-opens-in-newcastle-61634-24839485/

I feel this should be where high-end fashion is in Newcastle, with Vivienne Westwood already there, it could attract further stores such as Dolce & Gabbana (already have stores in London, Leeds and Manchester), or a Ralph Lauren. This coupled with a new Departmnt store in the old Odeon and redevelopment of Commercial Union House could be the city's Met Quarter.
Again I go back to the fact that none of the above would open in Newcastle without a strong large anchor store with a cluster of similar minded retailer around them- Newcastle is much more a risk for retailers compared to Mancheter or Leeds. Kiara is an independent local retailer and Vivienne always opens in bizarre- ot of the way locations. The recent opening of Oxfam on Hood Street would also deter many high end retailer- I couldnt see D&G next door could you?
The best hope as I say is a Met Quarter/ Victoria Quarter where odeon is now- sorry guys it would have to be knocked down. The block could house a anchor and a string of high end retailers- hopefully not an inside mall, but something similar to Edinburgh near Harvey Nicks. This could them mean that the anchor could face onto the new development and also the new large public square by Laing/Library.
I also think that when Waygood opens on High Bridge this street could become much more lively and hopefully regain its vibe.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Newcastle is currently 14th retail desination in the UK- which IMO is below what it should be- it should be in the top 10 with mot other regional centres. The CACI retail footprint analysis puts most other regional centres in the top 10-
1- London
2- Birmingham
3- Glasgow
4- Manchester
5- Leeds
6- Liverpool
7- Nottingham
8- Bluewater
9- Reading (!!!!)
10- Trafford Centre

We come down at 14th. We might increase with the opening of ES but I doubt we will break into the top 10 without retail investment. We will more than likely see the likes of Bristol and Leicester over taking us. I think Metro Centre is somewhere like 19th in the table- Sunderland 111th!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Habitat would fit in perfectly where Pier used to be- with it being next to Lakeland it would ideal. Maybe not enought footfall though

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
We do lack certain basics- a Zara is an example. Mothercare is in the Metro Centre as it ELC- which as we have said before many will class those being in Newcastle anyway

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
The store that is missing that really surprises me is Gap and BabyGap I know there used to be a presence at MC and even The Bridges in Sunderland but not in Newcastle. Its not as if its selling high end fashion way out of reach of us Geordies!Its pretty standard fodder and only a little more expensive than H&M. Will be interesting to see what goes in the old Topshop/Topman site its a strange unit to fill tbh, I cant really see anyone like Urban Outfitters locating there as the row of shops in front of it leading down to Monument entrance is a real skid row!
I diagree with you there about the Top Shop unit being next to skid row- yes further down that part of the mall is a bit down to heel but it will also be right next door to the new St Andrews Mall- and Balckett Bridge has good stores.
GAP has no presence in the NE apart from an outlet store- Gap are struggling in the UK- their particular US fashion does not travel well, particular outside of London.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Yeah Mothercare were in that position until only a few years ago. I'm sure when i started uni in 2003 it was still Mothercare but from what i can tell, they've moved into Out of Town Retail Parks.

With regard to Gap, they'll never open in Newcastle for the forseeable future if they have relatively recently closed the MetroCentre store. Although, we may get something like Banana Republic (Gap's higher end brand, although don't know if they're expanding in the UK atm) or an Urban Outfitters in the old Arcadia spot when the relocate into their new stores in the new mall.

Also geordiejon, yeah i didn't mean it would happen, but an aspiration for the city. Imagine it like our Bond Street with flags and canopies. Yeah Oxfam, the bookies, and Newcastle Building Society would have to move but it could be a great street. Also you could keep the old Odeon, Commercial Union House is huge with quite a large frontage (remember its more than the jut out over the road) and have an anchor high end Department Store, although the more time goes on i don't really think we need one. We've got Fenwicks and with a little improvement (basically the ground floor behind the Northumberland Street frontage) could be on par with the high end players. Sometimes i think we disregard it and relagate it to the likes of Debenhams (an appalling department store), when if you look properly especially in the high end men's and womens with the Armani, Hugo Boss, Max Mara, Ralph Lauren; Newcastle is pretty well served. Plus we've also got Cruise full of expensive brands Prada, Gucci and to me seems to survive pretty well. To be honest i would rather they just moved to the Commercial Union site, would be ideal.
Yes I have always thought Fenwick is a great department store and they have spent a lot of money on large parts of the store- however I have always been intrigued as to why the part on the main entrance into the store- a persons first impression- is so crap. I mean the cosmetics part is cool- bright and modern and large- and now we have Pret and Yo Sushi to your right and the new mens department is great but the main entrance still has the old green carpets on the floor selling tights, fluffy slippers, cards and old peoples clothes. It hardly makes you think the store is high end.

TBH Fenwick is not high end despite what people on here say- the brands it sells whether clothes, or furniture or whatever is not as high end a those sold in Harvey Nichols or Selfridges. The store also, depsite looking good apart from the main entrance is not a swanky. So the city could easily handle a Harvey Nicks store IMO.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
zara moved because there was not enough storage.
NBS taking KFC unit.
American retailer moving into new eldon square development (probs americal apparel)
urban outfitters were going to go into Monument Mall, mall managers turned down opportunity.
jamie olivers restaurant chain were to go into old eldon square, but has been put on hold.
hood street will not get boss, ralph or d&g. we dont have footfall or retailer requirements.
tommi hilfiger, armani exchange, new era (caps), bose looking for space.
footlocker relocating off northumberland street, probs into eldon square opposite USC.
- am surprised KFC is closing on Northumberland Street- it always seemed busy
- I would put money on an american retailer being Urban Outfitters or Hollister- American Apperel stores arent usually that big (or the ones I have seen anyway- Liverpool One as an example) and I doubt they would have wanted double units. I could be wrong though.
- Tommi Hilfiger armania exchange- they migth be looking- as they probably are all over the UK- but they will not find what they are looking for in Newcatsle or the Metro Centre- that is areas of the city with high end retailers concentrated
Yes noticed Footlocker is moving as is the cheap shoe store a few down- a few new pitches for northumberland street- i just prey to god they dont get snapped up by- phone shops/ coffee shops/ banks and Building societies

Monument Mall turning down Urban Outfitters is about as likley as the Queen becoming a muslim. The above mentioned retailer may well have looked at the Zavvi store and decided against it. The fact they are keen for barclays to take their main units shows desperation- it will totally kill off the mall IMO.

I do hope that the availablity of eldon square units due to relocation will see the arrival of new retailers the city is lacking- Zara- Mango etc- I am rather optimistic about this.

As for the emoty ones in Grainger Town- I am less optimistic- does the Council have any concerns about one of their most prominent and important regen project? And is there any work going on to promote the area?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I hope we don't get more Liverpool One type situations- taking public streets away from the citizens of the city. Liverpool One is good- although I found the St Johns Street part simply a 3 storied shopping mall with out a roof- even has escalators. But lets not foget we have already suffered of a Liverpool One situation in the 1970's when Eldon Square took away loads of streets, and seperated areas that were previoulsy linked.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I'm all for more public spaces, but it requires something to be done about the rapidly declining standard of the public. If that's the likes of the Boys-In-BID moving on the feral underclass that would otherwise blight such spaces, so be it.
Those spaces have got to be around the monument- its seems every charver and their dog sits around it and around the entrance of eldon square by there. It is rather initmating TBH. I wish they would just knock that part of Eldon Square down. reopne the link with Clyton and Eldon Square and open new large retail units along blcakett street and put the final part into the successful regen of the old square- so badly blighted by 1970's madness.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Yes we lack independent stores- but then again we struggle for many main high street stores too. High rents generally put businesses off and you see a lot of independent stores opening in Jesmond or Gosforth. Our best ones I can thin of are probably Electric Sheep on Pink Lane and End and End Hunting and Skirt on High Bridge. They are just clothes when you come to hoemware I start scratching my head really.

Noticed today that the unit next door to Costa on Northumberland Street is no longer under offer but is now up to let again.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Yes it would appear to be a large store- again making it a definite they will be closing their Market Street store espeically as they also have a concession in Fenwicks as well. They do have two in Liverpool- but I guess they just want a prescence in Met Quarter along with the other top end retailers-but as we have said Grainger Street certainly aint the Met Quarter.

Chris- All Saints generally have their own stores- it shas been in the past year that they have started to open small concessions in departments stores (very small in House of Fraser not too bad in Fenwicks).

I am not really surprised at a big store in opening in Newcastle- their clothes are particalualry trendy and young and rather expensive and with a rapidly growing number of middle class students at Newcastle Uni with a plenty of daddys money they will lap it up. As mentioned before Urban Outfitters- which also fist into the same boat as All Saints would be a massive hit in Newcastle city centre.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I am at a loss as to what you can do with the Market Street/ Garinger Street area- it was fine when they had the whole block to play with- but unfortunetly they came up with a crap idea- they thought they mixing up different spectrum of the retail market would work- unfortunetly the bargain side has won- and we are stuckw ith TJ Hughes in the middle of the whole area. Obviously the recession gave the bargain side of the market a huge help. Now we are stuck with numeorus empty units that were your more upper side of the market. My worries are that they have struggled to get the Kookai and XMAS shop tenants during the better economic times they will never fill it now. It is also a crying shame that all of the upper floors on this block are still empty- such as waste. Now Millets has closed down and come Feb we will see at least two new empty units- and IMO how long do you think Envy and T M Lewin and Reiss will stay put- especially with new units becoming available in Eldon Square due to relocation. I also would not put money on the Barclays Bank staying if they open the former Zavvi store.

If you could get rid of TJ Hughes we could start again- maybe they could relocate to the old Co-op building? Just an idea.
Would the units be availble for more leisure units i.e restaurants (obviously not bars due to NCC hatred of new bars).

And has anyone noticed- the XMAS box is not open yet? The past few years they are open by now selling crap halloween stuff and fireworks- but their is no sign of it. Maybe they too wouldnt even open there.

As I have asked before- if you read this- does the council worried abotu Grainger town and do they have any ideas what to do?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
You cant have high end of the market retailers next door to TJ Hughes. It just doesnt happen. With the development in Eldon Square all new retailers will want to be in there or round about on Northumberland Street. Even the availablity of units in Balckett Street will attract new business before grainger. I am thinking more and more that whole block needs to move away from retail. I clearly isnt working.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I really do not know' as said I am at a loss. Probably stores a bit like TJ Hughes. I just think we will see a long time before we see the area filled up- if aything it will deteriote more before we see any improvements.

In terms of restaurants there is still an awful of restraunters that are not present in Newcastle- such as Gourmet Burger Kitchen - which usually are found in buildings very similar to those in Grainger Town.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I have also thought of the using the block into a hotel? They ahve the upper floors but I am not sure what the back of the building looks like- I assume any bedrooms would look out onto the loading bay of TJ Hughes- which would be pleasant. Its is certainly central- some kind of boutique type of hotel could work.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
If you could get rid of TJ Hughes we could start again- maybe they could relocate to the old Co-op building? Just an idea.

This makes sense to me!
Just what I thought of. But then what? the more upmarket stores werent that interested in TJ Hughes unit so why would they want to now.

I think this location is one of the best stretches in Newcastle- if we end up with all the units prettymuch empty from the bathroom/kitchen ship all to TJ hughes (Which is a likelihood) and more empty than occupied on the opposite side of the road then surely NCC needs to intervene and do something?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
i don't really go down Clayton but from what i gather it is your cheap shops- which is fine- we need cheaper shops somewhere- and although a niceish street it certainly aint Grey Street- so leave it as it is. I just couldnt face £ stretcher opening up on the former Kookai shop of soemthing and that is what I think might happen.

1 - 20 of 267 Posts