SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Simply Cheescake taking over part of former premises of Moderno Furniture, 616 / 620 Durham Rd, Low Fell, Gateshead, - information & pictures 30/07/20

The above is post #11334 from 25/02/20

When passing on Thursday 30/07/20 approx 1000 took these pictures from other side of road of part of the former premises of Moderno Furniture, 616 / 620 Durham Rd, Low Fell, Gateshead

View attachment 356666

View attachment 356669

After a Google search came across this information from https://www.facebook.com/simplycheesecake.co.uk/

Simply Cheesecake, Unit 10, Team Valley Shopping Precinct, NE11 0EN who from reading posts on that site are in process of refurbishing/repainting the above premises ahead of a move

EXTRACT

Freshly made to order cheesecakes for any occasion.The First and best in North East.Est 2013.Chilled,Baked,Gluten Free,Weddings,Birthdays,Corporate events.

KEN
amazing cheese cake place. She has a stall at the quayside market. And did try another retail space in Newcastle just next to blue velvet / of mountain place.
But it only lasted 6 months.

all the products are made in the team valleylocation. So not sure if she would totally move all operations or have it as another outlet.

·
Registered
95 Posts
So.....

My experience in lockdown has been that Aldi has been the best managed and stocked store by far [albeit with a narrower range of products]. Even when things were toughest I rarely if ever had to queue and could get pretty much everything I needed. Always a fan but where in the past it would be a toss up with Lidl and then Sainsburys for more 'interesting' stuff Aldi has definitely become my league winner with Sainsburys passing Lidl :).

However today in Aldi Walker Rd I'd estimate 20%+ of the punters were unmasked and glided effortlessly past security who seemed terribly interested in his shoes. I may well have offered some general healthcare advice to a couple in relatively immoderate terms.

Aldo in retail.
aldi varies from location to location it seems
Metro center one is terrible a lot of the time. Low stock and a mess. While the forest hall one is always well stocked and tidy.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I bought a belt in Fenwick's last week had to goto 3 till points to find a member of staff. Finally found a group of 4 staff all standing casually chatting at Ralph section. Can't say I've ever had trouble paying for something online.
Similar experience last year trying to buy a Christmas tree last year.

When I found a member of staff she told me the Christmas tree staff finish at 5pm. And only till staff were on.

Could understand apart from it was the 20% discount weekend and the store was rammed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I suspect the new next will home and beauty, with social distancing.

The home unit next to toys r us is tiny. especially with Social distancing. And the new unit has good external access via the multi story for collections etc

The Costa has also closed in it.

In other metro center news the post office is meant to be getting refurbished with new owners.

·
Registered
95 Posts
True, but perfect location for their customer base. Opposite end and urban outfitters so although lower footfall, it’ll be more targeted to their market
Opposite the .end as well. Both of which have sell limited run trainees these days.

Intu don’t like queues these days so expect photos when the next limited run trainers come out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The old debenhams in metro centre is well on the way getting fitted out as the new Next

metro centre is a shell of itself. Covid hasn’t really helped it. But the previous owners never helped it either.

The busy stores were busy. Zara / Lego / Apple but the others seem to be quiet. Even Greggs which normally has queue out the door.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Gstar raw or what ever it’s called has closed down in metro center.
Sky are also opening a retail unit in old next unit next to house of fraiser. .

looks like the next home and beauty is onlyground floor. Basically debenhams old beauty units and debenhams home behind.

wonder if top units will form part of this or sit mothballed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
hamleys is ready to open opposite boots in the metro centre. Fully fitted out. Just needs external signage.

Argos is now getting stripped out, and the windows and shutters covered so you can’t see inside So either a refurb or closed for good.

·
Registered
95 Posts
We had quite a few discussions about the large Hamleys store on Northumberland Street, here on the Forum . . .

Hamleys Toy Store, Northumberland Street - Trading in the former "Callers" building, in 1987 and 1988
Ghost Signs: Obsolete and no longer in use - Newcastle...
Ghost Signs: Obsolete and no longer in use - Newcastle...

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=122441589&postcount=1858

Never did manage to find a decent photo of it though !!
not that it helps but I can picuture it in my head.

still surprised it never lasted longer than a few years.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts