Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1099 Posts

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
^^Welcome, within 24 hours of our Sub-Forum we have our first new member who has always looked, but not posted because we didn't have one. Proveing our selves already.

Great news about Apple.

Some pretty impressive list there.

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
I've just been talking to a security gaurd for ES, and he says Apple is a defo (which we all gatherd), and that only 2 units are available, that is one in the main mall (up stairs), and one facing Grainger town on the ground level.

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
I'm just woundering why Mothercare don't have a store in Newcastle, nor do the ELC. I know Mothercare used to (not sure where though), I'm not sure on the ELC though, but again these are shops that are basic citey centre shops that we don't have, and just having them would be great to fill in some gaps.

I mean it's taken us all this time to get a Debenhams, I agree that we should try to get more of the up end chains, and one off stores here, but we also need to get the basic retailers back aswell. ES and Northumberland St are still in the UK's top 10 shopping destinations, and I think Newcastle is either in the top 10 or not far away, but I feel even if we get the basic stores, it could push us up to one of the UK's shopping capitals, which we are in a prime position for.

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
I wonder if there will be more money spent on the rest of Elson Square once ES South opens?I only ask as to me it looks like it will be very light and airy (similar to Red Mall in MC) the rest of ES had always seemed to me to be dark but thats just my personal opinion, I personally hate that area next to the entrance on Northumberland Street, there never seems to be a good flow of people and for such a prominent location there seems to be a high (ish)n turnover of stores around there.
I think the rest of ES will get a revamp gradually, already the area around topshop, you can see they have removed parts of the ceiling, which will be replaced by a newer style, and all the shops that have become vacant and then re-let seem to have been given the full glass frontage, which we are expecting to see in ES South.

By the way, what is the official name for ES South?, I've heard it before but I've not rememberd.

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
I should really like a Borders Books to counteract the Waterstones-Blackwell duopoly but I doubt it would ever happen - they seem to prefer big-shed out-of-town shops, and if they can't make Oxford Street pay they're not going to open here.

Sad too to see Steedman's gone: now the only second hand bookshops are charity shops.
Yes, I too prefer Borders to Waterstones or even WHSmith. Unfortunatly they do tend to aim for out of town retail parks, hence it being in Silverlink. Though I do know of one in Glaagow City Centre. Though the Glasgow one was opend before they decided to aim at retail parks.

They would be a good choice for the former Zavvi/Virgin store though, if Barclays gets knocked back, anyone know of the decision date on that?

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
Is there anyway that they could punch holes in the roof of the older parts of Eldon Square and put in a glass roof. They did this at the Bridges in Sunderland when they built the extention, which makes it feel so much more airy than Eldon Square. I've seen a few other older shopping centres in the UK where they've done this (Preston mall for example) and having natural light coming in makes it a much more pleasent experience.

The new Arndale Centre in Manchester is superb by the way. If the older bits of Eldon Square could be knocked down & replaced like they did down there I would be very happy. Particularly the Blacket Street stretch. The Arndale entrance onto Exchange Square in Manchester looks superb too (with it's giant Next). Something like this would really improve the centre as well as Eldon Square and the Monument.
Yeah, hopefully the IRA decide not to blow up ES, even if it did mean Newcastle getting a giant Next store, which is what happend in Manchester.

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but KFC on Northumberland St has now closed, so hopefully not long untill it's occupied again. I'm guessing things are going well with NBS's plans for the site.

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
There is one at Cowgate, and two at the Metrocentre/Metro Retail Park, and one is about to open at Killingworth Shopping Centre.

My guess is that they are pulling out of City Centres (perhaps) and concentrating on 'out of town' sites, with drive-thru facilities . . .
Yeah, I agree with that statement. Although KFC isn't really something I would be botherd about if it moved out of Newcastle altogether, the same generally applies to McDonalds and Burger King.

Though I'm sure I heard that KFC wanted to keep the Northumberland St store open, but the lease holders thought they could get more from elsewhere.

Can you confirm that Lebowski?

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
While i'm on the subject of banks, I couldn't help but notice that Abbey and Allience&Liecester on Northumberland St are very close together, and that next year they and Bradford&Bingley are merging into one bank, Santander. So will their be rules enforced wich will mean that 1 or 2 of the branches will have to close?

I mean, just down the St, at the top of Pilgrim St you also have one of Bradford&Bingleys largest branches, and the Abbey branch on Northumberland St is also fairly large. So I'm assuming that the current Allience&Liecester one would be the one chosen to go if they had to do that.

Then again on 2nd thoughts, maybe they don't, in North Shields you have 2 large Lyods TSB branches only parted by 2 shops, thanks to the merger of the 2 banks.

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
zara moved because there was not enough storage.
NBS taking KFC unit.
American retailer moving into new eldon square development (probs americal apparel)
urban outfitters were going to go into Monument Mall, mall managers turned down opportunity.
jamie olivers restaurant chain were to go into old eldon square, but has been put on hold.
hood street will not get boss, ralph or d&g. we dont have footfall or retailer requirements.
tommi hilfiger, armani exchange, new era (caps), bose looking for space.
footlocker relocating off northumberland street, probs into eldon square opposite USC.
If you don;t mind me asking, where does your info come from?

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
Could the American retailer possibly be Hollister we know that they are rapidly expanding their stores in the U.K.

http://www.hollisterco.com/
It could well be, apprently they are opening up in Milton Keynes, Bristol, Liverpool (Liverpool One), Belfast, Aberdeen, Cardiff, and 4-5 other stores, which the location of has not yet been disclosed.

Anyway, does anyone else notice that 4 of the locations I mentioned all got an Apple store around about the same as when we will get ours?

Not that them opening would effect many of us in anyway, since they aim at 14-18 year olds. Maybe them opening up inside a Gilly Hicks would be a better idea, who seem to aim at more of the young adult age group.

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
I don't care about KFC leaving Northumberland St, we still have one in the Bigg market. I am though disapointed that it is to be replaced by a NBS. Although I would like to see NBS and Northern Rock expand, I feel as though the size of that store is right for retail with it's prime location.

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
Me too, I don't usually go for burger joints but the Zinger burger was the one I liked.

Out of interest Dublin had no city centre KFCs too so I was often found walking to Rathmines for one (a kind of Heaton/Gosforth suburb) when I got peckish... I think there was one in a food hall type place somewhere too mind.

Which brings me to the question, is the food mall type place in Monument Mall still open? I've not been up there in a decade!
Yes, it just always seems to be dead, and expensive aswell, last time I went there, I paid over £17 for 2 Scampi&Chips, with a butterd bun and a drink of coke.

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
yes the lack of independent shops in Newcastle is very striking compared to many other UK centres. I think it is slightly tied in with our low rates of entrepreneurship - most people on tyneside would never consider starting their own business, sadly.
I would, I would love to, but I just don't have the money,:eek:hno: and no bank in their right mind would give me money to start up a business in this climate.

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
^^

More good news their then. A 10 year lease aswell, so it shows that they are in it for the long haul I surpose, would of been easy for them to take a 5 year lease or something similar with ES.

Am I right in thinking that they don't have many of their own stores, but do have alot of stands inside department stores?

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
Form a group, offer to do the work ourselves for NCC and the owners of the shops around there?

Make detailed plans, offer a good business and retail site to the "posh" retailers.

Like Jon said, getting TJ Hughes to relocate is the challenge, I'm sure more "posh" retailers would be prepared to locate there if they were moved on.

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
You cant have high end of the market retailers next door to TJ Hughes. It just doesnt happen. With the development in Eldon Square all new retailers will want to be in there or round about on Northumberland Street. Even the availablity of units in Balckett Street will attract new business before grainger. I am thinking more and more that whole block needs to move away from retail. I clearly isnt working.
Then what do you put in it's place?

Grey St already has banks, offices, and trendy bars.

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
I feel if nothing is done then Grainger/Market Street could become the new Clayton Street!
Yeah, which is a shame, because Clayton Street actually has some very nice buildings.

Now lets get this right.

Newcastle should focus on a higher end retail area, it needs it, their is no stores like it from Leeds to Edinburgh, one hell of a gap, so it does need it.

So it needs it.

I can't be in ES, which has poundland, and retailers the the type we are trying to attract wouldn't want to be located next to.

It can't be Northumberland St, for the same reason, plus their is currently few fee spaces.

EPS isn't going to get off for another 20 years.

Grey St is mostly full.

Blackett St doesn't have many free spaces, only one when Schuh relocate.

So Grainger town is the only realistic alternative. Plenty of good buildings, plenty of vacant buildings. The only downside is T J Hughes. Now thats where the problem is, somehow we have to get rid of them. Then I feel it would be possible to attract the higher end retailers.

1 - 20 of 1099 Posts