Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
zara moved because there was not enough storage.
NBS taking KFC unit.
American retailer moving into new eldon square development (probs americal apparel)
urban outfitters were going to go into Monument Mall, mall managers turned down opportunity.
jamie olivers restaurant chain were to go into old eldon square, but has been put on hold.
hood street will not get boss, ralph or d&g. we dont have footfall or retailer requirements.
tommi hilfiger, armani exchange, new era (caps), bose looking for space.
footlocker relocating off northumberland street, probs into eldon square opposite USC.

·
Registered
158 Posts
remember retailers are businesses.

to site somewhere on northumberland street you are looking at £500,000 per annum break even point along on a rent and rates basis. this is before staff and other associated costs.

the 'prime' retail area of our city centre is so strict that few retailers want to move outside of this zone. anywhere passed the tucci unit and they wont even look at it.

all saints is leaving, envy are looking to relocated, that whole street will become 80% vacant from costa up towards tiso very soon.

newcastle also suffers greatly from too many small store footplates and the like of zara want big front to back retail like the new developments within eldon square. all saints have just taken around 8,500sqft in the new development which is approximately 3 times the size of the schuh unit on blackett street!

subway have just agreed to take half of the millets store so now we will have subway at the top (ridley), middle (grainger st) and lower (grey st) points of town.

·
Registered
158 Posts
habitat arent coming. there isnt a floorplate available. the new eldon development is 95% let and only smaller units for leisure are pretty much available.

zara are looking but not heard of them taking anything in newcastle.

urban outfitters claim it isnt in the scheme i.e. eldon or on northumberland street? so where is there a 12,000sqft plate in the city centre? either that or they are bluffing on there location.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I never understood why PC world left its prime location on the Silverlink to be stuck away in that tiny little store along next to B&Q.

I bet they dont make half the money they used to. I certainly never visit it anymore whereas I used to go in there every time when it was on the Silverlink.

Was it the rent that made them move? I hardly think money is a problem for them or were they forced out for the crappy M&S?
depends whos perspective you were looking from. maybe the silverlink developer who moved them and then sold the investment!

·
Registered
158 Posts
the simple fact is, we dont have the rental value in either the office or retail sectors to justify spectacular developments.

manchester and the like have the values to do so, though alot of it is vacant, it was built in the period when cash was flowing and the rental values at the time justified the lending in the banks perspective.

look out for what happens at the very end of northumberland street, at the old bank, near the roundabout. ;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
krispy kreme is run by a sole franchisee company in the uk. they are aiming to get as north as newcastle, but at the moment its a no. they have a partnership agreement with TESCOs in the UK so they are also pretty limited on that front. Yes Acorn Rd jesmond has been proposed.

I would be very interested to see the article from the journal if anyone has it?

regarding Pilgrim Street (apologies on Northumberland Street) i dont think it will be retail or leisure. all i can say is that street needs a strong office user.

also the metrocentre is due to be anchored by another department store where the cinema used to be. talks are ongoing but it will be interesting, john lewis, selfridges???

·
Registered
158 Posts
Question: Monument Mall

If for example the Monument Mall was to be redeveloped and you had an open shell i.e. footprint and externals stay the same but the internal are to be completely redeveloped, what and who would you like to see in there?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I noticed today that Footlocker has a to let sign outside of it, and it actually says shop aswell, so it is not for upstairs, so does Priceless shoes 2 doors down. Anything you know about Lebowski?

looking to take the jack jones unit in eldon square opposite USC.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Baguette Express (currently on St Marys Place) taking kiosk unit.

Newsagent (currently next to bus depot) taking another kiosk

·
Registered
158 Posts
slaters menswear (near central station) are taking space above next on northumberland street but i have not heard they are taking the full unit?

From what i have heard the Zaavi unit has a deal done with peacocks. Remember Schuh are coming out on Blackett Street as well.

·
Registered
158 Posts
the woolies is in a serious state of disrepair. the roof is supposedly leaking for example.

i cannot obviously name the retailer, however it is not a opertator who acts in the interests of private company.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Excellent news! Anything but the Barclays Bank that was threatened is fine by me :)
I think you are completelty wrong with that statement. I would much prefer and think it is a better for city centres generally (newcastle size) to have one single super branch rather than 3-4 smaller branches spread throughout the city centre.

The banks are able to pay higher rents and usually take 1000sqft-2500sqft units which would could be used better as fashion, homewares or independent stores.

I would assume Barclays would of merged there Grainger Street, Pilgrim Street, Northumberland Street, Percy Street and Market Street operations into one.

These units are a good size in decent pitches.

and you were upset?:dunno:

·
Registered
158 Posts
disagree. banks through lots of incentives to assign or sublet there leases.

plus the freeholders always have the security of the banks as a guarantoor should the new tenant fail to maintain rental payments or cease trading.

half the reasons why units in the city centre are empty is because it is sometimes not worth the legal expenses, agents fees and time to get a new start business in there to find they fold within 6 months. whereas with a tenant taking the lease liability on from a bank the rental will always be guaranteed until expiry.

plus sometimes units becoming vacant can lease to new development. there unit near the gallowgate, that building has lots of voids. the owner may or could have redeveloped without nasty L&T notices and costs to conincide with the recent gallowgate and eldon square developments.

instead we find a shocking retailer taking one of the prime pitches and best units in the city centre. where else is now available for a 3-4 storey quality retailer such as urban outfitters, zara etc you all pine for!

·
Registered
158 Posts
next will stay in that unit. why would they sign a new 15year lease at £1million per annum? plus Slaters menswear have agreed to take the upper floors so the ground floor would only be available.

I would be banking on that 3-4 storey grainger street unit. its more than likely just to bring the floors into line for CSC and NCC who own Eldon Square. I think that block is Aviva owned and they would need to have tenants already signed up to realise the cost of those works. Plus the leases in place on those units have many years until expiry, alot of compensation and legal work would be needed to remove them. what does that planning actually say about the ground floor? has there been any proposed plans etc? NOPE!

1 - 20 of 125 Posts