Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi fellow Geordies, been a browser on these forums for a good while now but was only a few days ago I noticed the Newcastle retail thread! Been a long time coming.

With regards the Eldon Square extension, I do not know exactly who is moving in to the indoor upper mall beyond the names already given here - but there seems to be very little talk here about who is moving in to the units on the outside, near The Gate, or the ones facing onto Clayton Street.

I know facing on to Clayton Street there are 5 retail units, 3 being larger ones - 2 of which are already taken by Tesco and Poundland (The old one is moving), and then there are two Kiosk units A & B (one around 1200 sq ft, and one of about 450 sq ft)

Anyone know more about these two Kiosks?? I do know that a new franchise Baguette Express have just started an expansion into the North East, and they say they are in negotiations on a premises in the Eldon Square Shopping Centre, and it seems these kind of kiosks are what they go for (a colleague of mines knows the franchisor, hence the info). They have just opened a shop in Byker & St Marys Place within the past few weeks too

Other than food retailers, I can't really envisage anything else popping open in these two Kiosks - any ideas??

Apparently the extension is pushing up the demand for the units on the old side of Clayton Street, and although I never venture into that area myself, I can see the footfall increasing dramatically with the arrival of Tesco & Poundland - who are known for being footfall generators in the high street

·
Registered
166 Posts
There was an article in the Journal on the 9th October (Can't find it on the website anywhere, but North Tyneside Council rejected planning permission for a Nando's and a Krispy Kremes at the Silverlink fearing it would drive custom away from the nearby towns of Wallsend and North Shields

There's not one Krispy Kremes North of Manchester and NTC piss the opportunity up the wall.

(sure i have posted this before but it's beter in the correct thread now)
They knocked KK back?!??!!!:nuts:

I would die and go to heaven if they opened an outlet anywhere in the NE!!

Call it sad, but I give ANYONE I know who is going to Manchester / London / Bham money EVERYTIME to get me a dozen KKs!! :lol:

Lets all write to them and tell them to take one of the two kiosks facing onto Clayton Street in the ES extension!!! Plan and a half!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah, Fazaz's friend is one of them, so it will be back on the market again soon enough.:lol:

Only jokeing Fezaz.
LOL - I actually know EXACTLY which two retailers are moving into KU A & KU B on Clayton Street now, as I was speaking with this friend of mine yesterday

To cut a long story short - he was originally in negotiations on Kiosk B, but the space was a little small - and while trying to negotiating some remote storage, another prospective tenant expressed an interest in B, so CSC offered the larger Kiosk A (knowing he needed more space) to my friend, and offered B to the other tenant - making both parties happy :)

And just to let you know, Kiosk A (my mate) will be a food outlet ran by a brand who have a pretty decent covenant and are pretty up and coming - and NO its not SUBWAY :lol:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Being from Glasgow originally before moving down to Newcastle recently for studies, I think Newcastle has the potential to be more like up there (retail wise - no Scottish jokes people!:lol:)

As mentioned here already, I am not talking the likes of Prada of Gucci either - but more along the lines of what Glasgow at least has

on Buchanan St for example, we have a few of the shops mentioned here - such as Diesel, Urban Outfitter & Ted Baker, and also Puma, Lacoste, G-Star, Boss etc - and then in the more up market part we have Armani, Ralph Lauren, Cruise (they sell Gucci, Prada, Y3, D&G, Louis Vuitton and so on). We even last month got a 30,000 square foot standalone Hamleys open - the first standalone in the UK outside of London!

Even Edinburgh recently got Multrees walk, which has attracted Armani, G-Star, Mulberry, Harvey Nics, Louis Vuitton - and that is a big big coup for Edin, which is generally pretty crap for retail!! With these big names now in, Urban Outfitters have also just opened a store there, so Just goes to show these brands will come if a decent development is built to accommodate them

I think Newcastle has a cracking potential for retail - and I'm not as clued up on the area as you guys - but surely there must be areas which have the potential to be developed to such a standard that it attracts these names?

·
Registered
166 Posts
lol - sorry guys - that is why i did say i dont know the area as well as you guys

You get what Im saying though.

Edinburgh = poor retail. However it gets Harvey Nics, and all the other big names followed.

Glasgow has always been top notch for retail, over-saturated if anything (there seems to be 4 or 5 of each store in town, even the likes of G-star & Superdry have outlets galore!) so perhaps unfair to compare to that - but Edinburgh is a very very good example I feel

IMO, Newcastle city centre is a great area - but it just lacks big names

·
Registered
166 Posts
Baguette Express (currently on St Marys Place) taking kiosk unit.

Newsagent (currently next to bus depot) taking another kiosk
Well it didn't come from me, so may as well get it out in the open now!:lol:

My mate is the franchisor for Baguette Express in the North East, and he is planning a huge roll out over the next few years. They currently have franchised shops in Sunderland, Byker and St Marys Place, and this Eldon Square one will be his own company ran flagship store.

They are also currently in negotiations for stores in areas such as Jesmond, Chilli Road etc.

They started in Scotland little over 3 years ago from nothing, and have expanded 900% in the past 24 months to about 70 stores in the UK now - with the next few years focus being on growing in England

Pop in to one of the above mentioned stores if you get a chance - they certainly are different from your bog standard run of the mill sandwich shop in that they use 100% chicken breast fillet, 100% sliced meats etc - nothing processed, and everything you see in their display from the coleslaw to the cheese savory is made in store every morning

They have a unique concept in the sense of their simple two step menu - you chose AS MANY fillings as you want, and choose whether you want it on a baguette, panini, baked potato, salad box, wrap, toastie, sandwich or roll - and you pay the same price no matter how many fillings you pick (there is no limit whatsoever)

Their cheapest item is a roll (£1.80), and most expensive being a panini (£2.70)

And yes, Newsagent next door too

·
Registered
166 Posts
Need your help guys! Anyone know of any good shops selling childrens nursery items eg picture frames, curtains, decorative items etc. I know there is the usual like Mamas & Papas but I'm after somewhere a little different. Doesn't even need to be in Newcastle really would be willing to travel to York/Edinburgh etc ,although local is best of course!
Tried the Pram Centre in Glasgow??

http://www.pramcentreonline.co.uk/shop/index.php

Online shopping too, and one of the more popular choices up in Glasgow - a good alternative to the bank breaking Mamas & Papas

·
Registered
166 Posts
Shakeaway are opening at Eldon Square in March, they will be opening in the former Lovejuice unit.

http://www.shakeaway.com/subsites/uk/shops.htm
Hmmm, I just wonder how long they will last

All to often I have seen food / drink based franchises (or company owned) focus too much on getting INSIDE the shopping Centers, where I believe the rents and service charges are far too high for them to make any money. They also restrict their trade until 5 o clock - and the question really is - how many milkshakes can you sell until 5 o clock?

I believe it led to the demise of O'Briens & BB Muffins, and also heard that the Nichols across from this unit led to the end of North East Bakeries (Miligans) last month

When will they learn that they are no McDs or Pizza Hut???

There is a reason that SUBWAY the majority of the time find busy locations and then sit just off them in side streets - as they believe in diverting footfall from the busy area to their shop - where they are sitting nice and comfy on a reasonable rent, probably far less than if they were on the main area only 25/30m away, and they have the option to stay open past 5pm rather than being dictated their opening times by the shopping centre

What are others thoughts on this? It is something I have always felt

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just to add to the above...

The Nichols in Eldon Square which shut down was on a stepped scale rent - 60k in year one, 80k in year two and then 120k in year three. Take year 3, of the 10 year lease, add rates and service charges on top - and you need to be taking AT LEAST circa 4G a week JUST to cover the property costs before a penny even goes through your till! Add the industry standard 30/40% food costs, 20% labour costs - see where I'm going? :bash:

IMO, that is one seriously optimistic business plan......

·
Registered
166 Posts
In reply to some of the above....

I've been working closely with my mate who is the Franchisor for Baguette Express, and have been acting like his agent on the ground here, as he is new to the area. As a result, I have seen all his plans etc for the Kiosk A which he is opening up as a flagship Baguette Express in the North East

The mall is all accessed via the current main floor of the mall - and some of the larger tenants have a downstairs floor, which backs on to the Tesco, Poundland & Baguette Expess units which have frontages onto Clayton Street. I know certainly Arcadia & New Look have a downstairs, as well as Debenhams

Hollister is 100% confirmed, seen this in writing from CSC - and I believe the whole development opens on the same day bar some of the small kiosks, such as Baguette Express & the Newsagent, who will follow in the coming weeks or months

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's a relief that there are other people who get excited about this kind of thing :)

I think my other half despairs every time I say "Someone's moving into the old whatever" or "scaffolding has gone up outside so-and-sos"...
Nothing to be ashamed of if you ask me - I for one have for god knows how long been very interested in the retail market, started off in Glasgow but now that Im down in NE, its moved on to Newcastle as well

I used to get people thinking I knew far too much about everything, and was always the one to break the news to my friends & family about this and that store or chain moving in here or there, and the rental etc - they never seemed interested though, lol

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just get the feeling that the shop wont be a success here. hope im wrong though!!!
Their shops everywhere in the world seem to draw footfall like there is no tomorrow - mainly people who just stand around playing with the gadgets and watching the little demos etc which Apple Stores are famous for

They also do iTunes Live, and bring big bands in to do live free concerts in store etc, and this draws thousands of people too

Certainly the Apple shop on Buchanan St in Glasgow is always jam packed, with exactly what I said above - people who just wander in to have a wee look around the nice contemporary store - hit a few buttons on the hundreds of demo machines lying around, then walk back out again - and do the same next time they are walking by!:lol:

I for one am an Apple fan to the bone - I have had my MacBook about 2 years and it has crashed on me as many times as my Windows does in a week (literally - no joke)! Before I gave them a shot, I was very anti-apple - but I was converted within days of giving the MacBook a chance

·
Registered
166 Posts
Baguette Express is going in to Kiosk A, the bigger of the two kiosks. Kiosk A is about 1300 square foot, and B is only 400 square foot

Kiosk B is going to be a news agent from what I know

My friend owns 2 BE franchises in Glasgow City Centre, and is also the Franchisor in the North East. He is planning a big roll out in the next few years. They are big in Scotland, where they give Greggs & Subway a run for their money, and grew from a little 7 store family ran chain in Edinburgh in 2003 to a 75+ store Scotland wide franchise now. They have grown 900% in the past 24 months, with the focus now being firmly on the expansion in England, with stores starting to pop open here now. There are a few in London & Manchester opened recently, and Sunderland, Byker & St Marys Place are all open, with this Eldon Square one due to open around Easter

I believe he also has people signed up and looking for premises in Jesmond, Chilli Road and Durham

Certainly is billed as "the one to watch" now in the world of franchising, especially with the ship for the likes of SUBWAY setting sail a long long time ago. They run a one tier pricing structure (£2.50 I think), whereby you pick whether you want a 11" baguette, 11" panini, potato, salad or wrap, and regardless of how many fillings you get - you pay the same price, with no limit on the number of fillings whatsoever for that price. Comes in handy when I pop in, as they do about 10 different types of chicken alone, never-mind the rest of the fillings! (Cajun, Tika, Chinese, Mayo, Coronation, BBQ, Sweet Chilli, Mexican, Roast and Firecracker chicken all on the menu)

They do rolls, sandwiches and toasties too for around £2 a pop, and have a very tasty 99p breakfast menu before 11am

I would recommend you guys check out one of their stores, you will be impressed!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I got a baguette from their recently - although I'm not a fan of the food from most franchises (to get a certain consistency you always seem to get a reduction in quality), it was actually pretty good. I'm not a big fan of chicken, which is always a problem in sandwich shops, but I still had a really tasty sandwich, in a fresh baguetter for just over £2. Can't knock it I must say, so good luck to them.

Having said that, I'd still send your friend around to Frankie and Tony's, Dene's Deli and/or Sketch's on Chillingham Rd. Thinking about it, we really are spoilt for choice for sandwiches in Newcastle...
BE bake their baguettes every hour or so fresh on-site, and use only 100% meats, nothing processed. All 10 or so types of their chicken are made from pure chicken fillet, their ham is 100% ham, as is their turkey, beef and the likes. Cheese is 100%, rather than 50/50 which majority of places use, and no added water in their fillings.

Every item you see in their counter from coleslaw to cheese savoury to every type of chicken is made IN STORE every morning, so they buy nothing in ready made

Being from Scotland originally myself, I can tell you first hand how many people up there comment on how every BE feels more like a local deli / sandwich shop - yet is part of a big franchise, which everyone seems to like

Certainly can not beat a coronation chicken (they don't put raisins in it), with cheddar cheese and jaleapeno panini, or a cajun chicken with morarella and sweet chilli sauce baguette - yum yum

Hope I get commission from every sale my mate gets off the back of this forum!!! :lol:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sounds immense BUT unfortunately not Halal so no can do for me :eek:hno:

Still Tuna Mayo with Sweetcorn FTW
Aha....you are mistaken my dear friend!

I am Muslim myself, as is my friend who is the Franchisor - and BE use 100% certified halal chicken in EVERY one of their outlets in the UK!!

All stores have the Arabic halal logo in the window usually (if the franchisee wants it), and certificates are available for inspection if you ask the franchisee

The St Marys shop store is always full of Asians, they have taken a lot of trade from the Arabic Culture Cafe place a few doors down.

They have a few 100% fully halal stores in the pipeline too, as I know he has mentioned opening a fully halal one in Gatesahead and on Westgate Road - not sure if there is anyone signed up for them yet

·
Registered
166 Posts
what is the arabic culture cafe? never heard of it. i wish there were more arabic cafes in newcastle, Edinburgh has loads of them, where they prepare the wraps properly, and you get to choose fuul, hummus, babaganoush etc.
On St Marys Place, few doors down from the BE - up the stairs, not sure what the place is called, but its a laid back Arabic cafe place with nice sofas and stuff

·
Registered
166 Posts
Walked down Clayton Street today; a bit strange without the market stalls there. Poundland and Tesco preparing to open - still looks a bit underwhelming, unfortunately
Party won't be started until the Baguette Express opens there - thats what people are waiting for secretly! :lol::lol::lol:

Speaking to my mate today, he says this will be trading by around Easter, directly next door to Poundland

Anyone any news on who is going in between Tesco & Poundland?

IIRC, that was the only premises in the whole development still to let a few months ago

Pics look fantastic - someone get me a T-shirt!! I was meant to attend the opening, but can't make it anymore :(

1 - 20 of 80 Posts