Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Urban Myth
420 Posts
Was in town today for the Chinese New Year celebrations which I took some great photos of. As I had my camera kit on me, I ventured over to Debenhams and Tesco's and took these shots:-

·
Urban Myth
420 Posts
Different stock I think, the first in the UK to have such I am lead to believe.
It's the 'layout' of the store that is taken from New York. Yes, the first one in the UK.

This is explained in the vid link I posed before, the 'ringmaster' announces what's special about the Topshop. Also, he says that Hollister only employ models! :nuts:

http://qik.com/video/4955980

There are some more vids when you click the menu button.

·
Urban Myth
420 Posts
I don't think Eldon Square is the first.
"As New Yorkers get behind British fashions in the shape of Topshop, Liverpool ONE can
proudly announce that they will be the site of Topshop’s first Manhattan concept store in the
UK. The revamped Topshop in Keys Court in Liverpool ONE will be double its original store
size to 60,000 sq ft, offering customers the more exciting high-fashion ranges previously only
available to their Oxford Circus customer base surrounding their flagship London store."

http://www.liverpool-one.com/Vicinitee.Assets/Documents/Press Releases 1/Top Shop.pdf

Well I think the compare would look a right fool, if he got his facts wrong in front of that massive crowd, if he was told to announce that Eldon Square Top Shop was the first in the UK to be based on the New York Layout... by Topshop....

Listen to the annoucement in the vid! This was on opening day yesterday!

·
Urban Myth
420 Posts
I honestly didn't notice any particularly new/different clothes in Topman. It was certainly more spacious than the previous store and had a more modern design but that was about it.
I think most of the New York style improvements would be noticeable in the womens wear sections on mall level and 1st floor. Not perhaps so much in Topman located in the basement. I was in there yesterday, and I must say a ridiculous amount of stairs to climb back up to mall level without an up-escalator.
It felt like 10 flights of stairs!

·
Urban Myth
420 Posts
I've been in every day this week, on my lunch breaks. I've noticed that in just about all of the shops in the menswear sections, there is just a handful of blokes there and most of the shop assistants are just standing around... I didn't see much till action.

Same with Debenhams, I was buying a few Rocha john Rocha items :), but it wasn't busy at the tills... and not many blokes looking at the menswear...

Quite looking forward to next though! :D

·
Urban Myth
420 Posts
Burn down the Black Garter I say (during trading hours :eek:hno: just kidding)! I really do think the people in those pubs are the sad face of an uncultured, grimy, unhealthy Newcastle that is dying out slowly but surely.
Yeah its full of scum basically. :crazy2:

I'll vote for you toonlad! :lol:

·
Urban Myth
420 Posts
Article in Property Week as dated 01/04/2010

I got this article from Property Week, not sure if it has been posted before.
Pick out the bones from this!

There's a jackpot of information in this article, it will have you debating for ages!

Discuss!
How Eldon Square has changed Newcastle’s retail map
By Hardeep Sandher

1. Eldon Square: ready for upgrade Nobody can deny that St Andrew’s Way (pictured), Capital Shopping Centre’s (CSC) extension to Eldon Square, which opened this month, is worth every penny of the £75m spent on it. This month a refurbishment of the original Eldon Square mall begins, to bring it up to the same standard as its offshoot. Meanwhile, CSC and its agent, Sanderson Weatherall, are advanced with six lettings in the old mall. Martin Breeden, asset management director at CSC, says six units were vacated through tenants leaving or relocating to St Andrew’s Way. All are now let or under offer. The 55,000 sq ft in three ex-Arcadia units has been let to Next, which will upsize from its Northumberland Street store. Footlocker is also moving from Northumberland Street into the 2,063 sq ft former Republic. And 20One is to take 6,045 sq ft, while the 2,500 sq ft former Barratts and 4,500 sq ft former River Island are under offer to Kurt Geiger and Clinton Cards respectively. Zone A rents remain at about £300 (see graph, below).

·
Urban Myth
420 Posts
Noticed today that priceless shoes is having a closing down sale, which is close by to the empty footlocker store on Northumberland Street.

The Currys.digital is closed, builders are already in hammering away... it's becoming a shared store with PC World - opening in August.

Perhaps we could have new retailers? (and hopefuly not any phone store, or another card shop).

·
Urban Myth
420 Posts
Took this photo this afternoon... I was wondering...

Wouldn't it make more sense if Currys took over the old Snooker club upstairs and converted that into PC world, and have stairs or an esculator to reach it... is it still going to be a Cotswolds store upstairs?

By the way they have removed all the wooden boardings surrounding the Peacocks store, still looks the same to me...

·
Urban Myth
420 Posts
But can anyone remember who traded from those premises BEFORE the Post Office moved in their counter services from "over the road" on Heaton Road?
The post office was previously in the now closed Safeways supermarket, next to the Byker Metro, before opening on Shields Road.

Can't remember who was there before the Post Office though...

·
Urban Myth
420 Posts
Actually, the "Gurah Fashions" shop comes to mind for some reason... which was a fashion shop owned by some Asian people. Anyone confirm? I may be going back too far in time...

·
Urban Myth
420 Posts
nom nom nom

I love Baguette Express! dumps all over Subway (horrible plasticy, non-fresh, salt-laiden sandwiches).

I always go to the one at St Mary's place.

You can taste the freshness of the just baked baguette and the real fresh fillings! The staff know me by sight now! I've just about had everything on the menu - Panini's, Jacket potatoes, soups, etc. All delicious and fresh!

I also went into the ESS one yesterday and recognised one of the staff members that works at the St Mary's place (a tall chubby lad in baseball cap) he must be mentoring the new staff there.

I've also recently discovered a REAL Itallian pizza slice shop!!! yes! the same as the ones you get in Rome!!! The chef is an Itallian as well! I was speaking to him, and he said he moved into the Grainger Market from Jesmond. The shop he had was starting to be renovated, and he subsequently made a decision to quit Jesmond and move into the City Centre!

I've already scoffed 3 massive slices, all freshly cooked! Check it out it - it deserves your custom! Going back next week to get 2 more!

http://twitter.com/pizzanewcastle

Food certainly is good and their shop designs are pretty funky and fresh, hence I had been telling everyone on the forum that it was not a run of the mill lunch place when I mentioned a few months back that someone I knew was opening one there

They had a queue out the door and half way across the road for most of their official public opening today and the staff from other food places nearby were all standing looking :lol:

Their strawberry millions milkshake **droooooool**:nuts:

·
Urban Myth
420 Posts
Greg, way too old for Hollister!, I think the age range is under 21, or so it seems (or is that the staff?).

They probably thought you were sombody's Dad! Lol! :lol:

Do what I do!, go to Debenhams menswear. It's more generalistic but still stylish enough to stay in touch. Rocha John Rocha, Jasper Conran, Jeff Banks etc.. all good stuff. In fact my favourite at the minute for clothes. That is until the mega Next store opens up next year!

After that, its Greenwoods I'm afraid! :lol:

went out in the toon on Sat afternoon and did a bit of browsing. Really hate that Hollister format now; you can barely move inside it and you can barely see anything in that ridiculous lighting. Am 36 tomorrow so maybe I'm getting too old for some stores :(

·
Urban Myth
420 Posts
There's a Starbucks coffee counter inside Northumbria University, in the Northumberland Building Cafe. I think there is another one inside City Campus East. Do they count as another 2 Starbucks?

1 - 20 of 99 Posts