Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 360 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Something is seriously wrong with the letting agents for Monumant Mall.
There has to be some truth in this - certainly, I've noted before that the sense of neglect extends to the Monument Mall website too (http://www.monumentmall.info/). Back in August the mall map was still showing Virgin, Boots and Benetton; now, for at least a couple of weeks, the URL has been mistakenly forwarding to the Three Spires shopping centre in Lichfield instead.

If that's the quality of the Mall's own promotion then there's hardly any wonder that it's got lots of voids.

Hello, by the way - I've been lurking for a while, but thought it was time to sign up :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Zavvi is still sat there- other former Zavvi stores across the UK have been grabbed up and new stores are open.
The old Zavvi in Watford is a Clas Ohlson (Swedish retailer - a bit of a Wilkinson / Lakeland / Maplin hybrid, I understand), and the one in Liverpool is about to become one.

I keep campaigning in my blog for Clas Ohlson to take over the Newcastle Zavvi, given that it's an ideal size in a great location. No luck as yet though!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Maybe you could send them an email, explain why that store would be a good store for them to have, give them contact numbers etc. Maybe you could get in touch with BigLebowski on here who is involved in retail lettings, to help you propose this to them.

Shiggy also is involved in retail lettings aswell.
Hmm, useful thoughts! Thanks bigchrisfgb. I've been in contact previously with Clas Ohlson's PR company, but not with them directly.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Its on the left hand side too, where connections and the bodybuilder shop is!
It's a relief that there are other people who get excited about this kind of thing :)

I think my other half despairs every time I say "Someone's moving into the old whatever" or "scaffolding has gone up outside so-and-sos"...

·
Registered
602 Posts
I can't recall seeing reference to this anywhere else (apologies if I've missed it), but has anyone else spotted the planning application relating to 139-153 Grainger Street (2009/1844/01/LBC)?

I've gone through all the documents accompanying the application, and it seems to involve the creation of a three-storey unit for a tenant that has already been signed up, to occupy one of the ground-floor units in the Vodafone / Kurt Geiger stretch and both floors of what is currently the Green Market at High Friars. Access from Eldon Square mall to what is currently the Green Market will be blocked up.

I've blogged about it at http://www.soultsretailview.co.uk/2...t-secured-to-replace-newcastles-green-market/, but thought it was worth flagging up here. Could this be the Urban Outfitters store that was speculated about before Christmas?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I've just been doing some research, and I came across this document which shows a list of retailers wanting space in Newcastle. It shows the date from the time of their first point of interest, I'm not sure when it was publsihed but it is interesting to look at some of the retailer on there, some of which now have found units, and some who want additional units.

Here: http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/wwwfileroot/regen/plantrans/Representationanddemand.pdf

The list starts from page 16.
I just found that too - was struck by all the typos, and the author getting Beales and Beatties mixed up :)

Did you Google "urban outfitters" newcastle to find it by any chance?!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Zara's sister brands Mango and Bershka are more high-end 'niche', both represented in MC.
This is probably going a bit off-topic now, but I noted that the MetroCentre Bershka had closed when I was there a week or two ago. Not sure how long it's been gone.

The sign in the window directed people to their 'nearest store' at Westfield in Derby. Useful!

·
Registered
602 Posts
retailer looked at the woolworths unit last week. not a high end fashion retailer.

so dont get excited.
I wouldn't have expected it to be really - if the presence of TJ Hughes is deemed offputting to high-end retailers, then some of the stores in Clayton Street surely are!

Hoping it was Clas Ohlson, but I suspect the Woolies site may be a bit downmarket / out of the way for them too. Indeed, as I've said before (http://www.soultsretailview.co.uk/2...rmer-woolies-around-the-uk-part-3-north-east/) I struggle a bit to think who it *would* suit. Maybe a combined Ethel Austin / Au Naturale? (quite a few old Woolies are now that)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sorry, sorry, sorry! I meant to type Au Naturale - which is now owned by the same people as Ethel Austin - rather than Internacionale. Getting my ales muddled.

Yes, quite clearly opening a second Internacionale would be daft :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
We talk about BM or Home Bargain opening in the old woolies- but to be honest that would be great- my biggest worry is that the store that has looked at woolies and could not be moving onto Grainger Street might very well be a B&M or the like- so much for Bond Street of the North!!
I mean not to be a snob and these shops are fine and I like Wilko's- but do we really need such beautiful buildings on Grainger Street full of such shit? I guess time will tell- the next 6 months will tell us a lot really.
As discount retailers go, I find Home Bargain stores quite smart - particularly when they have a less garish fascia than usual, like this one in Tamworth:

I don't really get B&M Bargains though - the assortment (sounding like a John Lewis person now) seems pretty random, and I can't really get past the gruesome logo and colour scheme! It hardly enhances the high street from a visual point of view (see pic of new Whitley Bay store below).

·
Registered
602 Posts
The unit in St George's Way that's now the Serendipity card shop was originally supposed to be a Julian Graves, which would have been good - I always enjoy popping into the Julian Graves store in Morpeth, or when I go back to my parents in Tamworth.

Unfortunately I suspect the JG takeover by Holland & Barrett scuppered it, given that H&B already has two Newcastle city centre stores - one of which might logically be converted to Julian Graves.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Is that so?, I always assumed it was going to be a Birthdays which signed up to have a store there but went bust before that part of ES opened.
There was indeed going to be a Birthdays too - possibly in the unit next to Oil & Vinegar, if I recall correctly.

The Julian Graves appeared on the letting plan, and even had its logo on the hoardings for a time.

1 - 20 of 360 Posts