SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1075 Posts

·
14,545 Posts
You'd have to be mad to let Idols into a new development.

The only problem with closing Idols is that the clientele will end up moving elsewhere and it's hard to predict where that'll be...
It also completely messes up retail wherever they are with the rough totty handing out flyers etc. They could buy Linekers and take it even further downmarket [hope not, too close to me for comfort].

·
14,545 Posts
There was also a newsagents that I can remember as well as the sarnie shop - I'm sure there were others but certainly lots of the available units remained boarded up for the life time of the 'Arcade'.
I can remember a news agent.

It would be great if it did open as some sort of local. Perhaps a nice fit for the Co op with their pushing the local angle in their marketing. To the east [where most residents are] it would up be against Tesco, the 'new' Sainsburys just off New Bridge Street and the [at least in my opinion] thoroughly rotten local shop on Melbourne Street. Very close to me, but expensive and pretty much every product I have picked up has been about 30 seconds of its sell by date. There's also Battlefield stores and another on Stepney Lane. It might make sense; I don't know enough about the sort of catchment these local stores need to fly.

Only thing that might be against this, the landlord as I understand [definitely not Bowlt et al] things is a company which is in the pub trade and, if the a licence was re issued could open it themselves as a pub - though I assume not under the Linekers brand.

·
14,545 Posts
You've got me puzzled now!

The Shieldfield store is on Argyle Street. It occupies the entire ground floor of the building, which is owned by a student accommodation rental company. I can't see anywhere nearby, never mind alongside, that a Tesco could open.

There is some talk locally that Tesco may take a unit in the building that replaces the soon-to-be-demolished Shieldfield club, but that's a quarter of a mile away on Shield Street.
I must admit I was surprised knowing the building, it's about 2-3 minutes walk from me, as is the quayside Tesco but in the other direction. That's a lot of Tescos in a small space, though I suppose i could say the same about Haymarket-Clayton Street. I'm surprised that the Co Op haven't done more 'locals' in this area given the large student population, their play on 'green' and 'ethical' matters etc.

I see that Curry's on Silverlink Retail Park is closed down for refurbishment to reopen as a 'Massive Store'. The nearby PC World is now selling a selection of white goods of its sister company.
Oh joy, the opportunity to be greeted by high pressure sales techniques from complete donkeys with no product knowledge. I still recall returning a printer bought three days earlier to be told by a 'techie' 'It's f*****d mate, not our problem, nothing we can do'.

·
14,545 Posts
Siansbury's are referring to it as Falconer Street. The 7am-11pm 7 days a week are typical of Sainsbury's local stores. The only one off the top of my head who is different is the Gallowgate store which open at 6am after Tesco's opened up at ESS and Percy street.

Also the Tynemouth store will have separate business upstairs which has yet to be determined who exactly it will be.
In the strictest sense it is on Argyle Street, but just:

Not doubting your word, but can t work out how they'd put a Tesco on the first floor, it's student apartments.

Could the new Tesco not be round the corner on New Bridge Street in that student block? Theres certainly a lot of ground floor space and im pretty sure it has A1 consent only (though i may be mistaken).
That would make more sense.

·
14,545 Posts
Planning application for an independent fashion shop, North Street.

Urban Celebrity Clothing.

Decision approved.

http://planningapplications.newcast...s.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=LJMV4HBS09700

More intel here: http://www.ayomedia.co.uk/clients/urban-celebrity/#/overview
At least an underused building is going to be used.

However [and I speak as someone who's favorite item of clothing is a bespoke tweed 3pce suit]... I've never heard of any of the 'brands' they carry. Am I being a' who are the rolling stones' luddite or are these sort of self invented brands, almost like George or Blue Harbour ?

Edit I take the preceding back, Mrs Newcastlepubs has heard of at least one of them. Off to polish my brogues in embarrassment :)

·
14,545 Posts
Been a member on here for a long time now, and viewed it hundreds of times,on it nearly every day but heres my first ever comment..................

Spoke to a Lad in Lush today and he told me that they are closing in August and moving into Eldon Square in a much larger shop next to the Games store near Boots..

Not earth shattering news for my first comment but hey I can only improve.
Keep up the good work all this is a great site...
Welcome :).

As you'll see this is as much about opinion [and prejudice] as views... join the party.:cheers:

Oh, I'm assuming that will be the former O'brian's store which before that was a McDonalds.
You sure it was an O'Bs. Game's inside the mall, facing John Lewis. There appear to be a couple of vacant properties of similar size next to it.

·
14,545 Posts
If TJ Hughes goes I could see that unit being perfect for Wilkinsons.
Gone.....

Sign went into the window today:

Simon Allport and Thomas Jack appointed as joint administrators.

Stories of a 'pre pack' with Primark and Phillip Green also in the frame.

http://www.how-do.co.uk/north-west-media-news/north-west-marketing-services/what-next-for-tj-hughes-brand,-as-administrators-take-control-2011063011397/

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlefieldjohn
Anyone know when the asda built where byker bus depot used to be will open as a "proper" asda?
Currently scheduled to open Monday 31st October
Is this the old Woolworths premises with B and M etc ?

·
14,545 Posts
Bang and olufsen has moved out of their grey street location to bath lane! Bit weird to move to if you ask me. Jane Norman has closed already in the town so quite a few empty units as you walk into eldon square. Greggs is bound take one of them!
If anyone else moves out Grey Street is going to be more like Gateshead High Street - tumbleweed.

1 - 20 of 1075 Posts