SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yes, over many years the Northumberland Street M&S store has always been a special store, regularly competing out on its own with Baker Street (Head Office store) in terms of overall floorspace, revenue per sq ft, performance/size of food Dept, etc, etc.

First one was in the lead, then the other, and so on!

So, it is difficult for any other nearby M&S to really 'compare' favourably with Northumberland Street, though I have heard that the MetroCentre store is regarded quite highly, and used to enjoy the distinction (in fact it may still do!) of being the largest "single-floored" M&S store in the entire group.
Is there much above M&S at Metrocentre. I always thought it was a waste of prime retail space to not have a second floor either for M&S or another store in the green mall?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Apparently Sports direct in Monument Mall is closing down as well as the NUFC club shop. Maybe all the stores apart from Peacocks and TK Maxx are moving out and one retailer coming in, Forever 21?
There is a sign in the window saying it is closing for refurbishment and coming back as another Ashley shop Field & Trek.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just been to the Metrocentre today and saw a couple of things.

Marks and Spencer are having a refurb and there are boards on the second floor window, is this a sign of a second floor for the already very large store?

Internacionale and Blue Inc have moved from the yellow mall, probably for Primark which is going to be huge. Also saw they are building a three floor extension to the back of the unit.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The washington store will also have a cafe and sell some clothing ranges, due to open next week i believe if my memory serves me correctly, The team valley branch is due to open in july some time can't remember the exact date perhaps the 24th, and will have the same set up as washington. Also the store in kingston park will close to move in to a larger premisses next to Next, in early 2012, will also have the same set out as washington just a bit bigger.

also work is underway on the £14m refit of their metrocenter store and should be finished by september.

also noticed the other day that guess in the metrocenter has now closed down and is set to be a chain of goldsmiths.
What is involved in the M&S Metrocentre refit?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just another update on the Currys relocation in the metrocentre. It's due to open where 'Thats Entertainment' is now, which is still open, hence the quietness! Also, the store will not be opening as a Currys or a PC World or even a Currys PC World. It is to be part of the new concept stores known as 'Black' which concentrates on higher end designer stuff (even though they struggle to sell cheap stuff in the metrocentre! in a more designer looking store.
In other words, Currys version of the apple store. I thought that there wasn't any units in the green mall big enough for a CurrysPCWorld. It's a shame as there isn't many other larger electrical stores in the Metrocentre.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Staying on Metrocentre, they've issued a statement apologising for delays in leaving the car parks at weekends.
Think this is down to the zebra crossing leading to the Krispy Kreme having too many people crossing it! This prevents cars from leaving the yellow multi storey. One solution would be to signalise the crossing with the road junction.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I rang up the letting agent for Monument mall about a month or so ago, he said they are currently in talk with a retailer about that unit. A couple of weeks laters someone on here came on and said that Sports Direct were interested in it. If Sports Direct did re-locate there we have discussed how Intu (the owners of Eldon Square) could use this as an opportunity to regenerate Blackett bridge and possible the Blackett street (skid row) end of ES.
Republic in Newcastle and the MetroCentre are closing.
With rumours of Sports Direct being interested in Monument Mall, could this have been for a Republic store with lower rents than offered by intu?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Does anyone what the large steel structure in the Chevy chase area of Eldon Square is going to be. To me it looks like it is going to be some sort of building suspended over the stairwell to the lower mall/bus station. Or is it just a tempory structure so they can work on the ceiling above the stair well.
Christmas decorations maybe? Only 50 more sleeps!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Been to the Metrocentre today and the platinum mall is fully unveiled. Looks good, just needs to fill the empty stores with platinum quality goods.

Around the central escalators there are images of local heroes in between the ground and first floor, including Sir Bobby Robson, Sir John Hall, Ant and Dec, Grace Darling and George Stephenson (there are more but can't remember).

The old Mediterranien Village is empty, but this has a good knock on effect that the forum and the Antiques Village now a lot fuller with Games Workshop, Peek-a-boo and Petite Delice having relocated.

·
Registered
257 Posts
NOT just impacting on Newcastle and the North East, but relevant . . .

Hundreds of Argos stores to close after Sainsbury's takeover

By Graeme Whitfield, The Chronicle, 1st April 2016

Supermarket Sainsbury’s has won its four-month battle to buy Argos owner Home Retail Group after agreeing a £1.4bn deal and will set about revamping the general goods retailer. Sainsbury’s said the move will create a “multi-product, multi-channel” business with around 2,000 stores, concessions and click-and-collect outlets. Sainsbury’s chairman David Tyler said: “The combined business will offer a multi-product, multi-channel proposition, with fast delivery networks, which we believe will be very attractive to customers and which will create value to both sets of shareholders.”

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/busi...tores-close-after-11125357#ICID=FB-Chron-main
Do Sainsbury's (larger stores with enough storage space) operate in the same locations as Argos though? The only one I can think of in the North East would be The Galleries.

Or will Sainsbury's turn Argos into just a Click and Collect online store and not hold the large amount of stock in store?

As an aside, I still wonder how the Northumberland St branch is still open when there is the larger branch in Eldon Square.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I see this shop has closed and signs removed.
A few years ago there were fears about the numbers of betting shops in town centres including Newcastle.
Think 'peak betting shops' must have been reached with more online and moblile betting.
So, just as McColl takes up the empty shop next door another unit becomes available.
It might be due to Ladbrokes buying Coral in 2015. Isn't there some regulation about the number of stores in the same area which they may exceed since the merger? I thought the number of betting shops was always on the increase as they are only allowed two self play machines in each shop?

·
Registered
257 Posts
With talk of there being a replacement lined up for Debenhams at the Metrocentre, could this be John Lewis striking a deal with whoever is running intu these days to move to a more modern, compact store. Having recently visited the new Birmingham John Lewis, I was shocked to see how small it was in comparison to Newcastle.

Again, pure speculation, particularly in the current climate, but would a Selfridges or Harvey Nicholls prefer a Newcastle store as opposed to a Gateshead Metrocentre store? Or would the John Lewis Eldon Square site be easier to reconfigure into leisure or even residential use?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts