SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Letting off the happiness
5,854 Posts
Is there anyway that they could punch holes in the roof of the older parts of Eldon Square and put in a glass roof. They did this at the Bridges in Sunderland when they built the extention, which makes it feel so much more airy than Eldon Square. I've seen a few other older shopping centres in the UK where they've done this (Preston mall for example) and having natural light coming in makes it a much more pleasent experience.

The new Arndale Centre in Manchester is superb by the way. If the older bits of Eldon Square could be knocked down & replaced like they did down there I would be very happy. Particularly the Blacket Street stretch. The Arndale entrance onto Exchange Square in Manchester looks superb too (with it's giant Next). Something like this would really improve the centre as well as Eldon Square and the Monument.

·
5,854 Posts
The Next in Manchester (and whole Arndale extention and Winter Gardens) really is superb mind. I tend to save my big shopping excursions for going down there as the range really is so much better. I'm not usually a big fan of malls but the new bit of the Arndale is the one mall in the whole country I can just about abide.

·
5,854 Posts
Yes, I think I have made my views clear in the past about "Northumberland Street being prime retail" (though I was mainly talking about the area south of M & S) but it is a pity to lose this site to a Bank/Building Society. I quite like KFC too!!
Me too, I don't usually go for burger joints but the Zinger burger was the one I liked.

Out of interest Dublin had no city centre KFCs too so I was often found walking to Rathmines for one (a kind of Heaton/Gosforth suburb) when I got peckish... I think there was one in a food hall type place somewhere too mind.

Which brings me to the question, is the food mall type place in Monument Mall still open? I've not been up there in a decade!

·
5,854 Posts
I hate how few cash machines there are between the top of Clayton Street (Northern Rock machine) and Central Station.

They're everywhere around monument/Northumberland Street.
This completely ruined my night yesterday. The one machine in the metro was out of order and the ticket inspector at central wouldn't let me through the barriers to use the machine there. I tried to use my card in the Head of Steam but their machine was broke, and then Tillys had a minimum spend of £10... I only wanted to get some cash out to pay my mate back!

On a serious point what if people need the money from the cash machine to buy their train ticket? It's ridiculous that you cant access the cash machines now until youre through the ticket barriers.

·
5,854 Posts
The white rendering on the NBS looks very crisp and modern, was it red brick before? Definitely an improvement even if I don't really understand why KFC are retreating from city centres (the one on the Bigg Market has queues out the door now and is way too small to cope).

On another note I have to agree with the people who say ES South has given men a bad deal. The Burton's we have now is actually smaller and worse than the one before! While you need to be a mountaneer to make it out of Top Man not out of breath. I suppose women buy more clothes but still I'm really dissapointed with the new Burtons.

Was down in Manchester again last week and being in their Arndale Centre extension I have to say Eldon Square South (albeit a vast improvement on the rest of the centre) is absolutely light years behind it. Even though it must be 5/6 years old by now it felt much more modern and light, the materials were better, glass in the ceiling allowing in so much more natural light and a much more noticable feeling of space. And a much healthier mix of retailers I suppose (ie mixing it up a bit rather than just all clothes). The street level intergration and external detailing seemed a lot better than our faux Georgian attempts.

I feel like ES South is a bit of a missed oppurtunity really.

·
5,854 Posts
^^

I can't find any information on what is going to become of the Netto in Gosforth (Regent Farm/Wansbeck Rd) when they're taken over by Asda, it's so close to the Asda on the Great North Road I can't see it remaining within Asda but since it's right next to my Mum's I'd like it to be. Any ideas?

·
5,854 Posts
Someone on my blog had exactly the same question! http://www.soultsretailview.co.uk/2...ho-gets-what-in-the-north-east/#comment-10242

Here's what i wrote then: " I take it you’re referring to the quite new Netto in Wansbeck Road South, on the site of the old Kwik Save (later FreshXpress)?

Oddly, it’s not on the list of divestment stores, so presumably it will be turning into an Asda. Just as was the case with the Co-op/Somerfield merger, you can end up with some stores whose retention or disposal seems counterintuitive.

I think the extent of existing competition from other food retailers is part of the formula that the OFT uses, and this would presumably flag up Tesco Kingston Park, Sainsbury’s Gosforth and Morrisons Cowgate as all providing competition for the soon-to-be-two Asdas."

As far as I'm aware, all the North East Nettos are to become Asdas except (obviously) Birtley, and the following stores that have already been bought by other retailers:

• Morrisons: Castletown (Sunderland), Bedlington and Shildon
  • Haldanes (UGO): Ashington, Eston, Hartlepool and Stanley
  • Iceland: Spennymoor
Thanks Graham,

In a way I am quite happy with this, I do like Asda. However other than the few hundred people like me who live next door to it I can't see why anyone would shop there rather than travel 2 minutes more to get to a much bigger Asda!

·
5,854 Posts
That's great news about the Sainsburys opening in the station. The station really lacks any decent retail offering to pick up some food or drink for your journey and this model works really well at Manchester (where there is a Sainsburys) and Liverpool and Sheffield (which have M&S Food stores).

Will save me having to spend a fortune on a bottle of drink from the rubbish WH Smith anyway....

Also the above talk got me thinking, wouldn't the 55 degrees/Lineker's site be ideal for a change of usage to another small Supermarket? Would certainly fill in a gap and the site is obviously no good for a bar being in the no mans land it is...

Another Sainsburys maybe, to compete with the Tesco behind the courts?

·
5,854 Posts
I agree that we need more independent retailers in Newcastle... The city has really became a far more creative place in the last few years but lacks the variety of independent retailers that you can find in other cities. Great examples of areas that have used this to regenerate an entire side of the city are the Northern Quarter in Manchester (based around the Affleck's Palace complex [a sort of indoor camden marker]) and the Devonshire Quarter in Sheffield.

·
5,854 Posts
I haven't been to the metro centre in 5 years & only then to get a suit fitted for my Dad's wedding, previous to that I hadn't been since 1998. I am not a fan of shopping in malls at all and to be honest the Metro Centre is a poor example of one at that. Compared to the more modern centres like Meadowhall, The Trafford Centre or in city centres like the Arndale, Cabot Circus etc it is pretty second rate and old fashioned.

·
5,854 Posts
Is our China Town expanding somewhat then? That's certainly the appearence I'm having. Would be nice to see it grow even larger and perhaps fill out to the boundaries of the Town Wall, Newgate St & Clayton Street and Westgate Road.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts