SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
On Chillingham Road the last remaining butchers has closed down this week but we did get a new Chicken Cottage which will compete with Dixy Chicken just along the road.
I believe it's the same man who owns / operates the Pizza Hut, Pizzaholic and Coffeeholic (see what he did there...).
A street that was once full of butchers, fish shops, bakers and green grocers has become fast food outlets and estate agents.
I hear that on Heaton Road the old Quick Save at the top might be a new Tescos which will compete with the Sainsburies further down.The shops and offices that were displaced by this development have moved in to new premises which is great because I hate empty shops even if it more fast food and estate agents.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Just noticed that "jig saw" at the monument has closed down today, bad news for ladies of a certain age who were scared silly by Trinny and Suzanna.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Actually Steve I don't think it's even doing much for the for the brand "next" I think they have shot them selves in the foot with the way they left the premises.
For me it screams a really important and highly paid manager has royally screwed up.
Next is now hemorrhaging good will.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Now I like Lakeland but some times I feel over whelmed in it and fear turning in to a Stepford wife. I have to stop intervening with the shoppers and saying "yes I know it's great but are you happy"

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I am all for it, a couple of years ago I realised just how much the city was "zoned" by who gets to sell food and "who" is encouraged to be in areas and who is not "encouraged".
I thought it was great when Greggs opened on the Quayside because people who are on tight income could get a cheap bite to eat.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Lush were doing political campaigns in the shop windows, I disagreed with them and stopped going in also the smell the comes out of lush is bordering on pollution.
I remember standing next to one of staff at a bus stop and she would need to have a shower as soon as she got home!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Then it's going to be a shop pandering to middle age women : Space, Neal's Yard, Jaeger and Cafe Royal. Dear God not a fish foot emporium! I seen one advertising a special Friday night spa session where you and your pal can dunk your feet in the fish tanks and have a nice bottle of wine. Obviously these women are single and are doing something very wrong if this is their idea of fun.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
They held stunning sales in the January.
Enamel stove top coffee pots, chicken bricks, big calendars with funky numbers, stiff up right farmhouse chairs and bowls for houmous (the finest was served at Jesmond Parties).

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Loved Kings Fabrics! Proper shop for proper women! Was in one day when they were selling off cuts of linen fabric by the pound and I bought as much as I could. They were samples form Irish mills beautiful unbleached natural stuff I use it for extra special work.
B&O used to have premises in Jesmond, think their products are more style than substance.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
There is a cluster of shops around St Georges Terrace, they used to be there along with a school clothing suppliers, I think the B&O moved to Gray Street, the school uniforms people moved in to a bigger shop on same street.
I like the school uniform shop! makes me think of Joyce Grenfell.
I have also decided arbitrarily that the closing down of the big co-ops in the suburbs was a very bad thing. Look at the size of the one in Jesmond. Its the retail equivalent of the Beecham's axe.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
The generation of Asian shop keepers are getting ready for retirement and their children don't want to do "shop" because it's hard work. The big supermarkets are going to be the corner shop because they have the logistics down to a T.
Young people have been "trained" by supermarkets to buy like experimental rats or pigeons getting a food pellet. Look at what young people buy in front of you in shops chances are it's a celebrity magazine, a sandwich a can of pop and some crisps. This can be bought at breakfast time or lunch time or tea time.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Proud to be provincial!
Any one shopping at the Sainsburys on Gallowgate needs to raise their game.
Let's go to the Granger Market.
Seriously any one unsure about shopping in Newcastle city center can PM me and I will willingly meet them and introduce them to great stalls and market men who are passionate about veg and meat.
If you are getting your grub from Tesco and Sainsburies I pity you.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I like to watch them you learn so much seeing them operate, that schick is well written, the happy, bright and attractive young people hunting in packs targeting people just like them. It must be soul destroying doing this work, pimping out your "character" to get people to sign a standing order.
I am rarely approached as I radiate "don't waste my time" but I just cut across them with "I don't have a bank account" or ask them a question that is so over the top it stops in there track, recent one on the plight of tigers was my solution that all tigers should be in private ownership.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I once did a big session on why the co-op fails (when I say big session I mean at least 20 minutes on google) and a Labour government might have been in the 60's actually had a commission or inquiry about it. One of the things it found out was that as an organisation they were resistant to university graduates and they promoted internally. So no new blood and same old people.
The other thing about the co-op is that it is expensive and they always took their customers for granted. It was always "old" and fulled with "old" people. Even when they got in to the hypermarkets in the early 70's they were horrible.
In it cradle to literally the grave of providing all services to the population it's appears to be "the state" and that is why they are crap.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I have always found the co op sanctimonious, they have a youth movement called the "woodcraft folk" as the good Billy Connelly says "the provisional wing of the co-op".
What I like about them is they built fantastic warehouses, if I had finished the art history degree I think I would have done it on co-op warehouses. I love seeing a co-op look at the one in Jesmond or the one in Heaton Road the lettering on it makes me grin.
Has any one seen the stunning top floor at Blanchford House it's a totally hidden gem.
I think the co-op is the biggest farmer in the UK and they had factories every where making stuff to sell in the "store" like the Pelaw Shirt Factory. They have a banking wing which I have never heard anyone have a good experience with.
I have been in the Whitley Bay one and that has a good vibe about it which was totally unexpected and the staff were genuinely lovely.
I have always found just walking in to the Newgate Street branch depressing.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts