SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 313 Posts

·
Registered
25,514 Posts
...and here's the exterior, captured on (and tweeted from) my phone earlier today:

I had a wander inside, but didn't stay as I couldn't see any free seats. Guess that's a good sign!

Image source: http://www.soultsretailview.co.uk/http://www.soultsretailview.co.uk/

2 Comments from BT Yahoo "Financial News" items as follows:-

A "That represented an acceleration on growth of 0.4 percent in the first-half to July 2 and reflected investment in promotions, robust sales of breakfast and coffee lines and product innovation, of which Superstar Doughnuts was the standout performer, with 1.4 million sold in the five weeks since launch.

"We spoke to customers and said even in these tough times what would you really like to see in terms of doughnuts. We've ended up with a strawberry milkshake, a triple choc vanilla, a jaffa cake and coconut snowball doughnut," Greggs Chief Executive Ken McMeikan told reporters"

B "Greggs is also looking at a series of new growth initiatives.

Following a trial in 10 Iceland shops it is rolling out the sale of frozen Greggs branded sausage rolls to more than 700 Iceland stores as it seeks to attack the take-home food market"

More on http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Superstar-Doughnuts-give-reuters_molt-1216271588.html?x=0

My comment on the frozen sausage rolls is:-

When will they appear at Fenwicks Deli and after that Fortnum and Masons ??

KEN

·
Registered
25,514 Posts
Eldon Square - NEXT

Wandering through city centre this morning thought how much better the corner of Blacket St/Newgate St/Percy St/Gallowgate looked with recent introduction of NEXT's windows in the as original constructed brick elevations

KEN

·
Registered
25,514 Posts
Metroasis development at Metrocentre as at 02/03/12

Some photographs taken by myself on 02/03/12 approx 1330 (hosted on Photobucket) showing state of work at that time

Planning applications associated with development

DC/11/00236/FUL
Erection of 5 commercial units (1 @ use class A3 and/or A4 and/or A5, [email protected] use class A3 and/or A4, [email protected] use class A3 and/or A5 and 2 @ use class A1 and/or A3 and/or A4 and/or A5) including creation of 2 new bus stands and associated landscaping, access and car parking
Former Filling Station Hollinside Road Metro Centre

DC/11/01200/ADV
Display of two non illuminated facia signs, two non illuminated panel signs and seven internally illuminated freestanding double sided panel signs at various locations around site

DC/11/01264/NMA
Proposed non-material amendment to DC/11/00236/FUL to allow minor amendments to Units 1-5 and alterations to access and car parking arrangements

DC/11/01290/NMA
Proposed non material amendment to planning permission DC/11/00236/FUL to allow landscaping amendments

DC/11/01440/ADV
Display of 2 internally illuminated 1.2m high double-sided freestanding directional signs

DC/11/01446/NMA
Proposed non-material amendment to application DC/11/00236/FUL to allow alterations to glazing arrangement at main entrance and on north east corner of Unit 1, alterations to entrance including introduction of portico feature, alterations to drive through booth and new service access on rear

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=LWLMLEHK05200

Plan layout of site from that application (poor quality on Planning Portal)

Photographs

I note yet another Gateshead area contract for Miller

KEN

·
Registered
25,514 Posts
Metroasis development at Metrocentre - as at 29/03/12

Further to my previous post #4607 dated 02/03/12 here are some more photographs taken by myself on 29/03/12 approx 1200 (hosted on Photobucket) showing state of work at that time

KEN

·
Registered
25,514 Posts
241 High Street, Gateshead - conversion of Kwik Save to Tesco Express

It will be very much smaller, I'm afraid - I never went in when it was Kwik Save, but I think it will basically be a Tesco Express in terms of size.

This has been covered a few times in Gateshead Development - see #624 for picture showing front elevation of building

This is plan layout from original application http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onli...iveTab=externalDocuments&keyVal=K0RAJRHK03P00 on Gateshead Planning Portal

Not to scale

KEN

·
Registered
25,514 Posts
Interesting. I spoke with someone from the store in 2007 and they told me they were going to do a bus to a closer Tesco (possibly South Shields, which wasn't complete then). I guess plans changed, and people can take the Metro to go to SS or Kingston Park.

Seems to me people living in Chester-le-Street will be able to commute to Gateshead for free. I wonder how that will work out.
Think a tesco receipt for that particular day may come into it

Cannot see Tesco providing a free service

KEN

·
Registered
25,514 Posts
High Bridge, Newcastle upon Tyne as at 17/04/12

Further to post #4862 dated 05/04/12 concerning the shops on this thoroughfare that links Bigg/Groat Markets with Grey Street here are some pictures taken by myself 17/04/12 AM showing the "state of play" at that point in time ( pictures hosted on Photobucket)

North side

South side

As can be seen quite a few vacant properties including the Lane pub (in the 70's the Green Bar)

Also judging by comments made in the "Pubs Thread" and my own personal experiences of recent weeks concerning the awful quality of beer ( in region of £ 3 a pint) being served there, a soon to be vacated Duke of Wellington pub

KEN

·
Registered
25,514 Posts
High Bridge, Newcastle upon Tyne - event 21 April 2012

Some pictures taken on mobile phone approx 1345 (hosted on Photobucket) of event 21/04/12 organised by High Bridge traders

Lots of people there as I passed through.

Hope it raises profile of the area

KEN

·
Registered
25,514 Posts
Existing Tesco Store at Gateshead - closing on 22/04/12

Some pictures of the store that will close at 1600 on 22/04/12 - pictures by myself, including internal shots on mobile phone approx 1900 on 21/04/12 ( hosted on Photobucket)

Been there since opening 1972

Hope some overnight deliveries and shelf stacking - otherwise the family shop on Sunday may be missing a few items

KEN

·
Registered
25,514 Posts
Newcastle Quayside Market - 22/04/12

I know it was overcast and the rain became heavy just after taking these photographs at about 0945 ( hosted on Photobucket) but I did notice that there were a lot less stalls there today compared to previous weeks

If you exclude the food outlets, coffee vans etc there was not that many set up at that time.

Talking to one of traders he said rental cost is £ 1.40 per foot length of stall but he said was better here compared to places like Carlisle due to a lot better numbers in passing trade

Was on the Gateshead side of river later and did not seem as if there had been a late rush in additional stalls

Note the 3 tie ups at Marina pontoon, pictured from Swing Bridge 1000

KEN

·
Registered
25,514 Posts
I guess not Ken as I made my farewell visit about 1.00 p.m. and this was the veg display:

No bread, bottled beer and very little meat. The only one who benefited from my shopping trip was the dog.

Thought it might have been that way - thats why I was in Saturday evening

Would have been silly to import stock on last day of trading and then have to relocate it

They would not have carried out a " Fire Sale" at 4pm closure would they - giving stuff away ?

We are taking about Tesco so answer I think would be a big no

KEN

·
Registered
25,514 Posts
The new Tesco Express at 241 High Street, Gateshead

Went into this new shop (the replacement for the store that closed 4pm 22nd) on Day 2 of its existence to "have a look round" and get 5 particular items

Long and very narrow aisles, limited content as expected (but lots of the basics) but with reasonable sized "booze area" and Pharmacy - sorry no pictures taken of the interior

Came out with only 2 of desired items and on checking receipt, value £3.18, with a receipt of last week from Closed Store surprised to see same prices - wonder for how long?

Also issued was a "Spend £80 get £10 off Helping Hand" coupon - unfortunately "for use in this store only"

Think "thats it" for this establishment - get the car out in future to go to Sainsburys at Team Valley or pick up more items when across the Tyne

KEN

·
Registered
25,514 Posts
Primark refurbishment , Northumberland St, Newcastle as at 13/05/12

Noticed this morning (13/05/12) that 2 new steel staircase assemblies had been "threaded" into the existing the steel frame - see pictures below (hosted on Photobucket)

KEN

·
Registered
25,514 Posts
Not sure if this has been mentioned but Grainger Games are taking over the old Game concession on the 3rd floor of Fenwick.

From Grainger Market to stall to nationwide chain with concessions!

Explains why their orange coloured "souped up" vehicle was in Northumberland Street on Sunday 13/05/12

Unfortunately did not take picture of it - but really impressive

KEN

·
Registered
25,514 Posts
Primark store, Northumberland St, Newcastle upon Tyne 26/06/12

Some photographs taken by myself 26/06/12 approx 1100 of the ongoing works to the former BHS store being converted into the new Primark store ( hosted on Photobucket)

KEN

1 - 20 of 313 Posts