Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
It seems the new mall is just going to be mainly clothing retail then, reminds me a bit of the new red mall at the MetroCentre. Does anybody have any idea if the units that are being relocated are under offer? I read a news story with somebody from CSC saying they were in talks for all of the units that were becoming available through relocations but haven't heard anymore.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I wonder if there will be more money spent on the rest of Elson Square once ES South opens?I only ask as to me it looks like it will be very light and airy (similar to Red Mall in MC) the rest of ES had always seemed to me to be dark but thats just my personal opinion, I personally hate that area next to the entrance on Northumberland Street, there never seems to be a good flow of people and for such a prominent location there seems to be a high (ish)n turnover of stores around there.
I believe the rest of the centre will be brought up to standard, ie flooring and ceiling and possibly shop frontages, same as how the rest of the MetroCentre was when the Red Mall opened. I say this as I have seen renders for it, I'll have a look around see if I can find them again.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Well here is the render I was talking about in the previous post, the link it is from doesn't actually mention the rest of the centre being brought up to standard, however from this render I'm sure it is Blackett Bridge and it looks different from what it does now...

Anyway heres the render for you to make your own minds up

http://www.liberty-international.co.uk/csc_developments/?id=1161

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Well... perhaps, and I take heart that the whole pyramid of Subways will implode pretty soon anyway - don't forget there are also branches on Gallowgate and Percy Street. If I were one of the earlier franchise holders I'd be pretty pissed off that Subway then sell another franchise for a place 200m down the road.

But the smells, TPNE, the godawful pong of those places!
Yeah there does seem to be quite a few of Subways appearing now! There is also one down near the Cathedral if my memory serves me correct? As for the smells I guess its going to have to be a choice of smelling Lush on one side or Subway on the other... :eek:hno:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Is Peacocks essentially another cheap-n-cheerful clothes store? Great, we're reeeeeally short of those...

I think I must be the only person that doesn't know Urban Outfitters. I'm a little sheltered I think!
At least its a clothes shop and not another bank or coffee/subway shop opening though?!

As for Urban Outfitters, I've never been in one of their stores, I don't ever recall seeing one either!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I don't so much think a blank brick wall is a problem because it looks bad, it's a problem because it's blank. There's no life on the street as a result.
Yes this is very true. Below is a quick idea of how to solve this problem. Basically in the diagram the red part is the new Eldon Square South and the yellow line is the blank brick wall. You can see the space available between the two, This could be turned into a glass atrium and a new entrance into Eldon Square.

In this you could have maybe a small shop or two or just an indoor seating area and escalators and lift.

I've included a quick render below of the idea so you can compare it to how it currently looks...

Currently:

Idea:

Again this is just a simple idea but I think it would solve the problem of having a blank brick wall and no life at street level as a result.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
There is no Eldon Square thread so I'm guessing this is the best place to post this photo. Eldon Square South from today:

I take it all the space on the bottom is going to be filled with restaurants/leisure units? Maybe this will save the street a little? perhaps?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
geordiejon said:
Yes the building looks very sterile- but lets not put this in the same league as Liverpool One or Bristol- this is simply an improvement of what was already there- they knocked down a mall and replaced it with something that is better than what was there. On the other hand if they had built something like that on East Pilgrim Street I would have been really pissed off.
I think that is a very good point actually Jon. The whole centre has been basically improving what we already have.

Also thanks for the update BigLebowski!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Well after looking at them other developments it really does show Eldon Square South up for what it is.... cheap, poorly designed rubbish! When walking through the other day I couldn't help but notice how old the place is looking, especially compared to St George's Mall downstairs. The whole place needs some work doing on it, similar to what they did with the whole of the MetroCentre after the red mall extension opened. New floor tiles, new wall panels, new celing, new lighting, etc...

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
1 - 20 of 240 Posts