SkyscraperCity banner

2341 - 2360 of 11843 Posts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I can't remember the last time I darkened the doors of BHS. I can remember being dragged in there by my Mam as a child which would have been in the 80s.

·
Super Moderator
22,410 Posts
I was saying the very same thing only on Thursday. They seriously can't be running at a profit can they?!
BHS swings into the red after a Green makeover
May 28, 2010, Sam Fleming, Perspicacious

Sir Philip Green’s BHS chain slumped to a loss last year as the recession and the costs of overhauling the tycoon’s corporate empire took their toll. The store chain, which at its peak earlier this decade recorded operating profits exceeding £100million, posted a £56.3million operating loss. This included one-off charges in the 74 weeks ended August 2009, BHS Limited accounts filed at Companies House show. It compares with a year-earlier profit of £15.2million. Green told the Mail the operating loss would have been approximately £7million if it had not been for a lengthening in the company’s accounting year and a brace of hefty oneoff charges. The latter were incurred as part of the merger of BHS into Green’s Arcadia empire, which also includes brands such as Topshop and Dorothy Perkins

ARTICLE HERE - http://perspicacious.co.uk/all-the-news/bhs-swings-into-the-red-after-a-green-makeover/26104/

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
BHS are in exactly the same place Woolies were before their demise. They don't know who their potential customers should be, and their potential customers don't know what they're for. As per Woolies, ask yourself: What's the thing you need that you think of BHS first for?

Doomed.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I bought a toaster at BHS a couple of years ago. £50 reduced to £25. It used to be the (or a) place to go for lamps and lighting-related accessories.

·
Super Moderator
22,410 Posts
I bought a toaster at BHS a couple of years ago. £50 reduced to £25. It used to be the (or a) place to go for lamps and lighting-related accessories.
My mam seems to like the cafe in BHS, though myself I always find it unckean and rather dark. I also don't care for it since I went in one time and a child seemed to throw half of their meal at me.

The restaurant downstairs at the Northumberland Street BHS was always a very attractive, clean and bright place.

The whole floor was carpetted and around all the walls were HUGE enlarged photos of 'Northumberland Country Scenes'.

The food was top quality (for a 'chainstore' self-service cafe/restaurant) and we often used to have our Saturday-shopping lunch there.

In the early nineties it (suddenly) went hugely downhill. It was completely re-furbished downmarket, both in appearence, atmosphere and quality of food. Suddenly the selection was poor and the "taste" just went completely.

We stopped going there, and I would agree with your description of the place now, Chris!

As for "what do you think of British Home Stores FIRST for?"

Well, it used to be 'convenience' (the Newcastle branch) right there in the heart of things, on Northumberland Street, in the same building as C & A, lovely cafe/restaurant, etc. BUT, mainly (as WilfBurnsFan says) it was NUMBER ONE for lighting, and anything to do with lighting.

It had a great selection of everything, in a large basement section, and the prices were good. Put simply, if you wanted anything to do with lighting, BHS had it there at a good price, and you always "liked" what you ended up getting.

Now, we have discussed the (deliberate) demise of the restaurant quality, dear old 'C & A' is now no longer there, and so what about LIGHTING?

Well, it is still pretty good, one of the best, but the thing is there are now so many others just as good or even better!!

They have been 'caught up' on that major strength that they had for so many, many years - so they are no longer thought of 'first' (I suspect) for even that!

So, are they going to go the same way as Woollies?

I don't know for sure, they are certainly (seemingly) 'on the way' - but (personally) I don't think it is too late to save them.

I would be interested to know what Graham Soult thinks about the situation?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I would be interested to know what Graham Soult thinks about the situation?
The points made by others above seem spot on really. Many Bhs stores lack investment, and it's difficult to pinpoint what exactly Bhs is for - both attributes that afflicted Woolies in later years.

The difference is that Philip Green knows that things need fixing, and there are signs of improvement - a new logo has just been launched online (http://www.bhs.co.uk/) and the same look has been used at the recently opened Uxbridge store. Bringing Arcadia brands into Bhs (and closing some of the nearby standalone Arcadia stores) must also pay some dividends in due course. That's happened already at Middlesbrough, where the separate Dorothy Perkins and Wallis shops have closed, and are now within Bhs instead.

I did blog about Newcastle's Bhs back in March, and none of what I said then has really changed! http://www.soultsretailview.co.uk/2010/03/28/big-homeware-strength-but-barely-helpful-staff/

·
Born in Durham
288 Posts
BHS are in exactly the same place Woolies were before their demise. They don't know who their potential customers should be, and their potential customers don't know what they're for. As per Woolies, ask yourself: What's the thing you need that you think of BHS first for?

Doomed.
I think it's far from doomed with Philip Green at the helm. Especially once they fully implement their new strategy and have the Arcadia brands fully integrated into the stores. At that point it will have a purpose again and I think there's a clear place in the market for them to exploit.

As a point of interest the Arcadia brands have started appearing in the Durham store.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Has it been confirmed that Primark are moving to the old Woolworths unit in MC? Just as of a few weeks ago that unit was under offer, and I know it was rumoured to be Primark. If so then the current Primark unit is a rather large one in a popular area of the centre- I wonder who would take that?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Has it been confirmed that Primark are moving to the old Woolworths unit in MC? Just as of a few weeks ago that unit was under offer, and I know it was rumoured to be Primark.
Not confirmed as far as I'm aware, but I heard the same rumour re. Primark quite some time ago.

If so then the current Primark unit is a rather large one in a popular area of the centre- I wonder who would take that?
Clas Ohlson maybe? Four of CO's ten stores by the end of the year will be in Capital Shopping Centre developments. Also, the upcoming Merry Hill store (near Birmingham) indicates that large out-of-town malls are of interest as well as city centres.

http://www.soultsretailview.co.uk/2...-to-csc-owned-centres-in-cardiff-and-norwich/

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
There is a market for BHS- it is your typical granny store where she can get her twin sets. After Littlewoods went under- or at least their stores did anyway- you would have thought BHS would have capitalised. Unfortunately they didnt. And I agree they are close to what Woolies did- they don't seem to cater for anyone- or they don't seem to market themselves to anyone. They have spent a lot on new stores, although none was spent on their Newcastle city centre store (although the mc was)- but havnt done owt to improve the offering inside.
Personally I would love to see BHS to go in the city centre and it would open up a large unit on nland street- something that rarely occurs.

I would love Primark to open in the old woolies store in the MC- and Clas Ohlson to tkae their unit- if the rumours are true then surely Clas Ohlson would the bookies favourite to take the the unit primark vacants. In fariness we are only ever going to see Clas Ohlson in the MC and not the city centre- there simply isnt the space for them to open in city centre, the Next is too small.

Talking of Next is there no rumours at all who will take the prominet spot on Nland Street. They are moving into ES in the new year- and if no one was lined up for the spot surely we would have seen the TO LET sign up by now.

Also has anyone been near Eldon Garden. What is the store that will be opening next to the entrance from ES? Isnt it to house high end clothing? Is it a chain or an independent. And has Popolo opened yet in there?

Finally what is everyones problem with people from outside Tyneside saying MC is in Newcastle? Doesnt everyone say that the Trafford Centre is Manchester even though it isnt in Manchester at all? Or that Westfield is in London but really isnt in London really (only the City is in London). This arguement shouldnt really be in this thread it more about the artifical boundaries created across the urban built up area that is Tyneside. Although they could call the MC being in Tyneside, the norm is for any place in a large urban conurbation to be called after its primary centre- and in the Tyneside conurbation that is Newcastle (in West Midlands it is Birmingham, Greater Manchester is Manchester, Merseyside in Liverpool etc etc). The fact that the MC is a mere 3 miles or so to the city centre also means calling the MC Newcastle as valid IMO. I just wish in 1974 they called all the metropolitan counties like they did in London and Manchester ie Greater Newcastle, Greater Liverpool, Greater Birmingham etc. This would have made so much more sense.

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
There is a market for BHS- it is your typical granny store where she can get her twin sets. After Littlewoods went under- or at least their stores did anyway- you would have thought BHS would have capitalised. Unfortunately they didnt. And I agree they are close to what Woolies did- they don't seem to cater for anyone- or they don't seem to market themselves to anyone. They have spent a lot on new stores, although none was spent on their Newcastle city centre store (although the mc was)- but havnt done owt to improve the offering inside.
Personally I would love to see BHS to go in the city centre and it would open up a large unit on nland street- something that rarely occurs.

I would love Primark to open in the old woolies store in the MC- and Clas Ohlson to tkae their unit- if the rumours are true then surely Clas Ohlson would the bookies favourite to take the the unit primark vacants. In fariness we are only ever going to see Clas Ohlson in the MC and not the city centre- there simply isnt the space for them to open in city centre, the Next is too small.

Talking of Next is there no rumours at all who will take the prominet spot on Nland Street. They are moving into ES in the new year- and if no one was lined up for the spot surely we would have seen the TO LET sign up by now.

Also has anyone been near Eldon Garden. What is the store that will be opening next to the entrance from ES? Isnt it to house high end clothing? Is it a chain or an independent. And has Popolo opened yet in there?

Finally what is everyones problem with people from outside Tyneside saying MC is in Newcastle? Doesnt everyone say that the Trafford Centre is Manchester even though it isnt in Manchester at all? Or that Westfield is in London but really isnt in London really (only the City is in London). This arguement shouldnt really be in this thread it more about the artifical boundaries created across the urban built up area that is Tyneside. Although they could call the MC being in Tyneside, the norm is for any place in a large urban conurbation to be called after its primary centre- and in the Tyneside conurbation that is Newcastle (in West Midlands it is Birmingham, Greater Manchester is Manchester, Merseyside in Liverpool etc etc). The fact that the MC is a mere 3 miles or so to the city centre also means calling the MC Newcastle as valid IMO. I just wish in 1974 they called all the metropolitan counties like they did in London and Manchester ie Greater Newcastle, Greater Liverpool, Greater Birmingham etc. This would have made so much more sense.
The Metro Centre is not in Newcastle.

Thats why it exists.

·
The Legend
13,244 Posts
I agree with geordiejon, I wouldn't shed a tear if BHS went. To me it offers nothin that I can't get elsewhere, for example TJ Hughes and Debenhams would do what they sell, or atleast an alternative, though I have to admit I don't step foot in TJ Hughes. The size of the store they have is massive and could attract someone who would make better use of it or atleast offer something different or meaningfull. As for the soon to be former Next store, I too wonder what will happen to it. Isn't the new Next opening in January?, so that would mean that if a tennant was signed up to the Northumberland street store then they should be in by April/May time, giving them 3-4 months to redevelope the store.

·
Super Moderator
22,410 Posts
Plans for 400 new jobs at former ILVA store
September 30th 2010 by Peter McCusker, The Journal

AROUND 400 new jobs could be created with a London-based investor’s purchase of the former ILVA furniture warehouse in Gateshead and unveiling of plans to turn into a supermarket and destination retail outlet. Trilogy Developments, which was founded by Geordie exile Patrick Stones, is believed to have spent several millions of pounds in conjunction with a wealthy individual investor on the 148,000 sq ft site close to the Metrocentre. Originally created by Marks & Spencer at a cost of £40m it was home to its failed Lifestore concept, and closed less than 12 months after its February 2004 opening. Danish furniture retailer ILVA took over the baton opening, with 350 staff, in November 2008, but it was placed into administration in the summer of 2008 after racking up losses of £62m at its three UK stores.

REST OF ( TWO PAGE ) ARTICLE, HERE - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/busines...new-jobs-at-former-ilva-store-51140-27368797/

·
Super Moderator
22,410 Posts
Eldon Garden set for revival
October 1st 2010, The Journal

NEW life is being breathed into a shopping centre in a bid to attract more fashion-savvy shoppers. Eldon Garden, in Newcastle city centre, saw a spate of shop closures last year when gentleman’s tailoring chain Crombie, homeware store The Pier and Flirtatious Lingerie Boutique all closed down. Now the shopping area is being revived with the opening of a new fashion store, an art gallery, a cafe-bar and a jewellery shop. Occasionwear shop Minx was the first new retailer to open its doors yesterday. Founder Diane Parkin said: “After the success of our North Yorkshire store in Bedale, which customers travel for miles to visit, we thought long and hard about where to open our second store. We chose Newcastle because it is a fantastic city with a great vibe and a buzzing social scene. It’s also got very discerning shoppers with a good eye for fashion.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...set-for-revival-61634-27377008/#ixzz1162utmur

·
Urban Myth
419 Posts
Cotswolds opens Friday 15th October.

They gave me a 15% off waterproofs voucher on the other side!

I also notice Cotswolds has a double-sized red unmissable door frame in place now!

BANK was supposed to be opening today, but with the rainy weather, I darted in and out of Northumberland Street, so didn't get a photo.

·
The Legend
13,244 Posts
Thats good news, I was wondering when they would open up. Not the sort of stuff that interests me but I'll take a look. Outdoors sports and activites seems to have become more popualr over the last few years.

Anyway Sainsbury's will open in Tynemouth, not too sure on the exact location but apparently it is currently a pub. It's expected to open sometime in February, to March time though I would put money on it being delayed.

2341 - 2360 of 11843 Posts