Skyscraper City Forum banner
241 - 260 of 12306 Posts

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
this gives you a good idea of the kind of clothes they stock:

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urba...PAREL&itemCount=10&prepushId=&id=MENS_APPAREL

tbh i have a suspicion that, in the US at least, they pick up the crappier clothes from more stylish brands, all their diesel stuff is crap compared to what diesel have in their own stores. though it is hugely popular so having it in town will be a big draw for young people from all over the region, and the kind of shop we need to consistently draw people in from berwick to middlesbrough to carlisle. atm you wouldnt come here if you could go to leeds to edinburgh instead.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I have to say although Peacocks is a bit cheap and crappy I am over the moon too that it isnt bloody Barclays or a phone shop or starbucks! Will see it when it is announced though.

Urban Outfitters is bound to be the double unit in Eldon Square that is under negotiations. Sounds about the right size. Although as I have said before I always would have seen then in the Top Shop site. That large unit has got to be snapped up what with it being right next to the new mall. Maybe we will se Zara take that unit- because in reality if they don't take it I can't see them opening in the city centre in anytime in the foreseeing future. The Urban Outfitters is generally smaller store in the US- but are all over the place. The stuff in there is typical trendy student type- not really the type you see in Fenwicks or really anywhere in Newcastle so it is a good addition. Fingers crossed it is all true though.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Greg- I ma not saying the council is all to blame with Grainger Town problems- but really do you think that the planning of a high end retail destination with TJ Hughes the anchor a good plan? Do you also think that there is an awful lot of empty upper floors in Grainger Town- this at a time when there are people crying out for housing association type accom or student accom?

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
Let's not all jump on Greg too much here - he doesn't make all of the decisions and I don't for a second believe that many of these things are easy. For starters, there has to be a reason that so many of the upper floors in the Grainger Town haven't been used. Maybe with the buildings being listed it's prohibitively difficult to insulate the upper floors to an acceptable level, along with putting in the services etc. There has to be a reason as we're talking about existing, solid buildings in good locations.

Besides, Greg comes on here to chat about things just as much as anyone else. Let's not spoil it for him. I'm as guilty as anyone, but let's give him a break.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I know the council wanted to get something a bit grander than TJH but it was the previous administration's project so wasn't involved. There are quite a few upper floor flats incl on Grainger St, they're just not obvious. However, you're right in that there are plenty of underused upper spaces. It depends on owners of buildings wanting to take on that sort of project.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Interview in retail news with the cheif exec of Habitat stating they need a store in Newcastle-

"Habitat, which had its credit insurance removed in the recession, has opened a new store in Paris this year. It plans further openings in Russia and Liverpool One later this year, and Spain next year.

Saunders said there are opportunities to open more UK stores.

“We could do with a couple more in London and Newcastle. We’re an urban brand and should be in all the big cities,” said Saunders.

Because of global economic uncertainty, plans to open stores in the Middle East have been delayed until next year, while store openings in India and China are “on hold”."

Good to hear- with them pretty much always being in city centres would be good to see them back- would be great to see all the empoty units on Grainger/ Market street one big Habitiat store- guess we can dream eh?

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
some shops probably use upper floors as storage space, especially where the ground floor floorplates are small. there is a lot of unlocked potential there though i do remember quite a few new flats being converted during the grainger town project- for instance the central exchange buildings.

according to the project's website over 500 new flats were created in the area - sure a few were new build though. some examples listed here - http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/grainger.nsf/a/property?opendocument

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I know the council wanted to get something a bit grander than TJH but it was the previous administration's project so wasn't involved. There are quite a few upper floor flats incl on Grainger St, they're just not obvious. However, you're right in that there are plenty of underused upper spaces. It depends on owners of buildings wanting to take on that sort of project.

Is there anything the council can make landlords do soemthing with buildings? I know they forced the owner of the now current Living Room/Grey St Hotel- can this not be used more often. I mean the building that houses the Market Lane pub on Pilgrim st is in a right state- all the piant is off all over- yet they had the pub done up and the upper floors are all boarded and the paint all coming off. I mean fair enough Pilgrim St is a right mess anyway but if for example in the far off future the east side of the street is developed would the council allow the awful building opposite stay like that?

I am going a bit off on a tandem here arent I?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Good to hear the plans for Peacocks and Urban Outfitters to open, both will add to the city in my opinion. The return of Habitat would also be extremely good.

I think the problem will be that we have a lot of small units along Grainger Street and dotted around the place, they can't all be Subway. Yet it's only the major brands with big stores looking to open at the minute.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
Good to hear the plans for Peacocks and Urban Outfitters to open, both will add to the city in my opinion. The return of Habitat would also be extremely good.

I think the problem will be that we have a lot of small units along Grainger Street and dotted around the place, they can't all be Subway. Yet it's only the major brands with big stores looking to open at the minute.
i wonder if there is any way the council can encourage separate stores to merge and create larger premises. monument mall in particular seems like a good place to attempt this.

·
Registered
158 Posts
habitat arent coming. there isnt a floorplate available. the new eldon development is 95% let and only smaller units for leisure are pretty much available.

zara are looking but not heard of them taking anything in newcastle.

urban outfitters claim it isnt in the scheme i.e. eldon or on northumberland street? so where is there a 12,000sqft plate in the city centre? either that or they are bluffing on there location.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Can i ask what was Cantors, thats a huge store. It seems to take up part of Sports Direct / USC etc. I wish they remove most of the overbearing Bridge (Sports Direct) over Blackett Street and have just a bridge linking the two.

·
Registered
442 Posts
habitat arent coming. there isnt a floorplate available. the new eldon development is 95% let and only smaller units for leisure are pretty much available.

urban outfitters claim it isnt in the scheme i.e. eldon or on northumberland street? so where is there a 12,000sqft plate in the city centre? either that or they are bluffing on there location.
Surely what will be the former Topshop/Topman unit would be ideal for Habitat?
I really wish they would open up here, at the munute we are seriously undercatered for in the home furnishings market. At one end we have Barker & Stonehouse (overpriced and most stuff can be found cheaper on the web) or IKEA which serves its purpose but there is nothing in between, Habitat or MUJI would fill that gap nicely!

·
23,114 Posts
Can i ask what was Cantors, thats a huge store. It seems to take up part of Sports Direct / USC etc. I wish they remove most of the overbearing Bridge (Sports Direct) over Blackett Street and have just a bridge linking the two.
Cantors was a large furniture store, in the days when there were a lot of furniture stores in the City Centre. It was next to the 'very narrow' original Blackett Bridge over Blackett Street, which was only wide enough for about the width of about three/four people! It was nothing more than a 'passageway' over Blackett Street really, and 'almost' wobbly!

Eventually, the bridge was widened to double that width and made a stronger construction . . made a continuation of the building really, rather than just a bridge, independent of the main shopping centre building at either end of it.

Then, the new 'Hennes' store (now a Sports Direct store) was built over Blackett Street and effectively 'surrounded' the enlarged bridge, on the right hand side heading West, and overhead.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts

They could be stating Newcastle but actually mean Metro Centre? Possiblity. Although I think because of the student factor Urban Outfitters is more suited to the city centre. It would have believed it more that Urban Outfitters was gonna open in Monument Mall- pretty much all of their UK stores have been over 3 floors I have been in and the Old Zavvi store is 3 floors. Again I have never heard or seen Peacocks being on 3 floors so would have more than likely saw them in ES.

I can't think of any 12k ft floor in Newcastle. Could it be in Grainger Town? Could they be gonna use all floors on one of the unites rather than just the ground that the likes of All Saints etc use? Maybe its the XMAS BOX store and that is why it isnt there this year and in up in the Haymarket. Probably be wishful thinking eh? Then again it could be Grainger Town- the UO in Leeds is a bit out of the way location and not in your main shopping area- so fingers crossed. I guess it will all come out pretty soon if its true.

241 - 260 of 12306 Posts