Skyscraper City Forum banner
3181 - 3200 of 12302 Posts

·
23,105 Posts
Heaton Road shopkeepers attack Sainsbury's plan
by Sara Nichol, Evening Chronicle, April 15th 2011

WORRIED shopkeepers have hit out at plans to build a mini-supermarket on a Newcastle street. Planning permission has been given to open a Sainsbury’s Local store on Heaton Road, in Heaton, Newcastle. Despite numerous objections from local business owners and a protesting petition with more than 300 signatures, permission was granted by Newcastle City Council’s Development Control Committee to extend a take-away, sandwich shop and former letting agency and turn it into one big retail unit. And the landlord has now rented the space out to Sainsbury’s, which is expected to open its Local store within three months. But the decision has been met with anger from frustrated shopkeepers.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...ainsbury-s-plan-72703-28526831/#ixzz1JakggZDD

·
23,105 Posts
The new Eldon Square Next has its signage up on the Blackett Street frontage, so I took a couple of shots yesterday:

I was there yesterday too! About lunchtime, after a quick pint in the 'Duke' (to check out if any changes were planned after it was bought by new owners recently) and I also took a couple of photos of NEXT!

One is a 'close-up' of the new big (I assume) windows-to-be . . .

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
newcastle is desperate for more independent shops, cafes etc. grainger market is a good outlet for this with cheap rents, could be an excellent starting point for local entrepreneurs wanting to try their hand at starting a small business. already have piccolo coffee, mmm foods, pizza by the slice and one or two others.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Why did Next want to move again? I think its silly but maybe there is a good explanation? The unit it has taken from Topman could have been markerted towards a new brand in the city like Urban Outfitters and the likes.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
^^ There is a lot of 'pro-chain store' banter on here though, but very little discussion of the smaller, niche, local retailers who I think are more of a 'win' for the city. Krispy Kreme, Urban Outfitters, Hollister etc are just contributing to the bland identikit high street collection of shops.
But we don't already have these stores anywhere else in the region so increasing the choice in the area is a win. Of course, it would also be nice to have some good independents.

·
Northumberland Import
1,576 Posts
Why did Next want to move again? I think its silly but maybe there is a good explanation? The unit it has taken from Topman could have been markerted towards a new brand in the city like Urban Outfitters and the likes.
They've been actively seeking new premises in Newcastle since 2003!

Current store is too small and they feel the potential is there to increase profits as the current Newcastle store manages to outperform the MetroCentre

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
i dunno what the fuss is about with KRISPY KREME. when i lived in London someone in a office brought a box in (very expensive) and they were disgusting. Very heavy, stogey. I hate to think the calories in them. Give me a light fluffy ring doughnut freshly baked anyday.

ps: what's happening with the urban outfitters? any signs up, construction...
You need to go to the store and purchase them on the day and eat them on the day, eat them as fresh as fresh can be, otherwise they start to go off. (as in the real world theres no way you can keep donuts fresh for long)

KK not having a branch in or around Tyneside slashing the North East is poor. We can't even get a bloody donut chain to move here which is embarrassing, and we knock back both them and an up and coming chicken chain - Nando's (I say up and coming because they really are the next big thing)

Looks like I'm going to have to travel to Newcastle for my chicken and Manchester weekly for my donuts. This 13 stone will rise in a few years I tell thee.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Heaton Road shopkeepers attack Sainsbury's plan
by Sara Nichol, Evening Chronicle, April 15th 2011

WORRIED shopkeepers have hit out at plans to build a mini-supermarket on a Newcastle street. Planning permission has been given to open a Sainsbury’s Local store on Heaton Road, in Heaton, Newcastle. Despite numerous objections from local business owners and a protesting petition with more than 300 signatures, permission was granted by Newcastle City Council’s Development Control Committee to extend a take-away, sandwich shop and former letting agency and turn it into one big retail unit. And the landlord has now rented the space out to Sainsbury’s, which is expected to open its Local store within three months. But the decision has been met with anger from frustrated shopkeepers.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...ainsbury-s-plan-72703-28526831/#ixzz1JakggZDD
I'm a bit out of touch now since I've been away for so long, but where on Heaton Road will this be?

Is this the old Kwik Save building? Because I don't remember there being a 'general dealers store' opposite there, just a few takeaways (Heaton Tandoori and Spice Mohal), the hardware store and the club. Or is this perhaps in the old office of the Thomas Hedley builders office? Since I did notice last time I was home they've moved further up the road on the same block as Clough's. There certainly is an off-licence opposite there (they barred me once when I was 15 for something I didn't do :bash: all is well now though, 4 years later).

Or is it elsewhere even?

·
Letting off the happiness
5,855 Posts
I agree that we need more independent retailers in Newcastle... The city has really became a far more creative place in the last few years but lacks the variety of independent retailers that you can find in other cities. Great examples of areas that have used this to regenerate an entire side of the city are the Northern Quarter in Manchester (based around the Affleck's Palace complex [a sort of indoor camden marker]) and the Devonshire Quarter in Sheffield.

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
I'm a bit out of touch now since I've been away for so long, but where on Heaton Road will this be?

Is this the old Kwik Save building? Because I don't remember there being a 'general dealers store' opposite there, just a few takeaways (Heaton Tandoori and Spice Mohal), the hardware store and the club. Or is this perhaps in the old office of the Thomas Hedley builders office? Since I did notice last time I was home they've moved further up the road on the same block as Clough's. There certainly is an off-licence opposite there (they barred me once when I was 15 for something I didn't do :bash: all is well now though, 4 years later).

Or is it elsewhere even?
I have a funny feeling that it's the strip opposite the Kwik Save, the line of properties besides Cafe One 20 next to the traffic lighted cross-roads with Cardigan Terrace. I'm not sure, although the businesses mentioned sounds about right. I just hope Cafe One 20 doesn't go, I really like it in there.

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
newcastle is desperate for more independent shops, cafes etc. grainger market is a good outlet for this with cheap rents, could be an excellent starting point for local entrepreneurs wanting to try their hand at starting a small business. already have piccolo coffee, mmm foods, pizza by the slice and one or two others.
That pizza place is brilliant. Seriously, if anyone here hasn't been, go into the market whenever you're near and buy a slice or two of their pizza. The proper Italian stuff... There's quite a few of us in my year that head down regularly, particularly after tutorials, to treat ourselves to a couple of slices. Not that it's expensive (far from it), it's just a bit of a long walk!

As for the need for independents, I agree, we really need a "Northern Quarter" type of area. It could even be a strip - running from the existing shops on High Bridge Street, across Grey St and Pilgrim St, then down Worswick St into the EPS area...?

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
KK not having a branch in or around Tyneside slashing the North East is poor. We can't even get a bloody donut chain to move here which is embarrassing, and we knock back both them and an up and coming chicken chain - Nando's (I say up and coming because they really are the next big thing).
To be fair, Newcastle doesnt fair to badly when it comes to this kind of investment. You beat your nearest rival hands down. Newcastle has the potential to attract really big brands like selfridges I think.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
As for the need for independents, I agree, we really need a "Northern Quarter" type of area. It could even be a strip - running from the existing shops on High Bridge Street, across Grey St and Pilgrim St, then down Worswick St into the EPS area...?
Agree 100% - and EPS could be just the place.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,200 ·
KK not having a branch in or around Tyneside slashing the North East is poor. We can't even get a bloody donut chain to move here which is embarrassing, and we knock back both them and an up and coming chicken chain - Nando's (I say up and coming because they really are the next big thing)
Not sure who 'we' is here, but KK were more than willing to take a substantial unit on Tyneside - they were refused by a spurious (and incorrect imo) planning decision by a council eager to right the wrongs of the past.

I dont see the fuss myself - I had a couple at Stansted, bought just on their reputation and they were no better or worse than anything you can get at Asda!

Edit - Nando's 'up and coming', 'next big thing'???? is it 2004 again?!

3181 - 3200 of 12302 Posts