SkyscraperCity Forum banner
3221 - 3240 of 12441 Posts

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I have to say the Pizza Stall in Grainger Market is the best pizza I've had outside Italy. I would far rather go there than to Pizza Express or another chain. On top of that the couple who run the place are really nice and have helped me brush up my Italian ahead of visiting family I have out there. You don't tend to get that sort of experience anywhere other than little independent stores.
Tried it for the first time today. £1.90 for a great big slice of mixed veg pizza, very tasty too. Will try the chilli & basil mini-calzone next time. A definite 'will return' and 'tell friends'.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I walked past Collectables in Northumberland Street today, which was advertising its 'last 2 days'.

There was also a poster up saying that the new store will be at St James' Retail Park, in Stamfordham Road, next to Wickes. It gave an opening date, if I recall correctly, of 15 May.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
There's a lot more halal than there was even a couple of years ago... It's one of those things that I always mean to look into more, to see whether it's a positive or negative thing. I've absolutely no idea about the standards and practices that see meat become halal.

Edit:
I've looked at it and it seems pretty inconclusive whether halal (and kosher) slaughter is less or more stressful to an animal. Either way, the animal isn't stunned in the process, unlike in traditional UK slaughterhouses.
Each to their own in the meat supply, but I eat at Nando's in the gate because me and the other half eat halal.

Another take on the halal or not to halal is if non muslims are that bothered in kicking up a fuss about their meat, isn't it time for them to go veggie.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I walked past Collectables in Northumberland Street today, which was advertising its 'last 2 days'.

There was also a poster up saying that the new store will be at St James' Retail Park, in Stamfordham Road, next to Wickes. It gave an opening date, if I recall correctly, of 15 May.
That's a poor move unless they are hitting hard times and are desperate. That retail park has been nigh on empty for a good few years

·
Registered
180 Posts
It has been a long time sorting out the old Arcadia store for Next ...however it was a total mess in there, with lots of mezzanine levels and horrible layouts. It'll be great to see a bright, modern store in its place.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,232 ·
That's a poor move unless they are hitting hard times and are desperate.
Not really, the rent will be considerably less, they'll be able to display and store more stock, they have a huge free car park and the site has started to sign up new tenants. They just need to advertise smartly to let people know where they are.

The only thing they may miss out on is passing trade, which, being in a basement with minimal on-street presence, they clearly didnt think was giving much return. Something for Clas Ohlson to consider when they move in.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,233 ·
Next is starting to look very smart, what an improvement those windows make to the street. For a little more outlay they could have had a pretty spectacular entrance on the corner there, but as it is it still looks like it will be a bit hidden and dingy as was its previous incarnation.

·
23,435 Posts
Not really, the rent will be considerably less, they'll be able to display and store more stock, they have a huge free car park and the site has started to sign up new tenants. They just need to advertise smartly to let people know where they are.

Yes, this particular location is (at long last) starting to pick up as a place to go to, with the addition of Collectables.

It struggled for a long while with only Wickes there, but is looking better for the future now!

·
Registered
602 Posts

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Could anyone say what chance we have of getting Uniqlo in Newcastle? So far it seems all their stores are in Greater London, plus Bluewater; does this mean they aren't interested i expanding into the rest of the country?

·
23,435 Posts
Fashion chain hopes deal to save firm is coming soon
by Iain Laing, The Journal, April 23rd 2011

FASHION chain All Saints has said it expects to complete a deal within the next few days that will secure its long-term future.

A consortium led by American firm Goode Partners is in talks to buy a majority stake currently owned by two failed Icelandic banks.

If the deal comes off, the partnership is expected to ease some of the financial pressure on the business by paying off part of its £53m debt pile.

But, if no deal is reached, it has been reported that its main lender, taxpayer-backed Lloyds Banking Group, could force the business into administration.

All Saints employs about 2,000 staff and has 63 stores and 47 concessions in the UK, Europe, US and Russia.

Read More - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/busines...l-to-save-firm-is-coming-soon-51140-28569414/

3221 - 3240 of 12441 Posts