Skyscraper City Forum banner
3261 - 3280 of 12306 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I'm not sure but I don't think we (most of the Newcastle Forumers) fit the Forever 21 demographic, whereas I think the MC caters perfectly for them. Me personally would rather have Urban Outfitters in town and F21 in the MC, rather than the other way round.

·
23,114 Posts
Student brews a new tea venture
in Fenwick Department Store

by Chris Knox, The Journal, May 6th 2011

A NEWCASTLE student has secured a spot in the city’s Fenwick Department Store, before even launching her business. Jules Quinn, 23, hit upon the idea for The Tea Shed while out on a work placement as part of her fashion marketing degree at Northumbria University and has since designed nine varieties of whole leaf tea in nylon bags. Jules, who lives with her parents in Stocksfield, Northumberland, sources her tea from Sri Lanka, which she packs into recyclable paper cups with the help of her family. To help the brand stand out, Jules has also designed a range of ceramics, including tea-pots, cups and saucers, which are made by Surrey-based charity Arthouse Meath, which supports the creative talents of those struggling with learning disabilities and severe epilepsy.

Read More - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/busines...-tea-venture-in-fenwick-store-51140-28642268/

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I'm not sure but I don't think we (most of the Newcastle Forumers) fit the Forever 21 demographic, whereas I think the MC caters perfectly for them. Me personally would rather have Urban Outfitters in town and F21 in the MC, rather than the other way round.
I'd disagree. Obviously I'd prefer both to be in town...but I often find UO to be a (pricier) USC-style store...obviously with better brands...but just a collection of other 'higher value' brands (Levis etc) and pretty much the same offer which Fenwick offer to a very loyal crowd. Perhaps MC could be a better spot for them.

F21 is absolutely catered to the student/trendy city crowd who I've a feeling are less likely to go to MC on an average afternoon's shopping.

However, that's just my take on it...and perhaps with this new draw, and all the on-going developments at Qube etc, MC might be the new place for this crowd. I've just a feeling that their focus might be concentrated on the city centre. I'm 24 though, perhaps I'm past it.

·
Letting off the happiness
5,855 Posts
I haven't been to the metro centre in 5 years & only then to get a suit fitted for my Dad's wedding, previous to that I hadn't been since 1998. I am not a fan of shopping in malls at all and to be honest the Metro Centre is a poor example of one at that. Compared to the more modern centres like Meadowhall, The Trafford Centre or in city centres like the Arndale, Cabot Circus etc it is pretty second rate and old fashioned.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
@paddy, i may be wrong but i think Forever21 (like Monsoon which had a separate store Monsoon Men) is purely a womens fashion store, so i don't think unless i've guessed your gender wrong that it won't be for you.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
@paddy, i may be wrong but i think Forever21 (like Monsoon which had a separate store Monsoon Men) is purely a womens fashion store, so i don't think unless i've guessed your gender wrong that it won't be for you.
Well all the ones I've ever shopped in (States and Birmingham) have a menswear department, as does their website! So I hope they've not been selling me ladies clothes in the wrong section!!

I've been to the MC once in the past 10 years....to visit IMAX....and hope not to be there again until I'm at least 50. And pushing a pasty-dummied child in a pram. And shouting at it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'd disagree. Obviously I'd prefer both to be in town...but I often find UO to be a (pricier) USC-style store...obviously with better brands...but just a collection of other 'higher value' brands (Levis etc) and pretty much the same offer which Fenwick offer to a very loyal crowd. Perhaps MC could be a better spot for them.

F21 is absolutely catered to the student/trendy city crowd who I've a feeling are less likely to go to MC on an average afternoon's shopping.

However, that's just my take on it...and perhaps with this new draw, and all the on-going developments at Qube etc, MC might be the new place for this crowd. I've just a feeling that their focus might be concentrated on the city centre. I'm 24 though, perhaps I'm past it.
I think comparing UO to USC is a bit narrow minded in a sense, let me explain.......

I have only recently moved here from Glasgow, where UO was my shop of choice whenever I went shopping. Yes, their BRANDS may be the same as other shops that you mention - but the STYLE they buy in from these brands is on a different wavelength altogether from the common styles you get in USC. UO always have the more unique and (as their name suggests), urban collection from the brands as opposed to just the normal collections

Take Van Mildert - yes, they sell some of the same brands as you get in House of Fraser / Fenwicks / USC - but you will be hard pushed to find the same collection of the brands.

I am a huge fan of Diesel jeans, and USC stock a HUGE range of them - but i would bet my bottom dollar that out of 10/15 styles in USC, I would not like one, but out of maybe 5 styles in UO, I would like the majority

Also, you are forgetting that UO sell far more than just clothes. They sell other gimmicky stuff too for the house, as well as music CDs and Vinyls and books to name but a few

One other thing - a few of my friends buy the vintage & limited edition clothes from UO. These are not just brand new clothes made in a vintage style or a item with a mere "limited edition" tag on it - but they are actually pre-owned / worn out / 1 offs sourced by each individual brand of UO

Hope that sheds some light :)

Bear in mind their London store is in Covent Garden - which has always had a reputation for the "trendy" shops. I would classify UO as nothing other than this

·
Northumberland Import
1,576 Posts
I think people are harsh on the MetroCentre. Its worked hard to re-brand and refurbish itself and I think its something the region should be proud of.

Back to Newcastle....Next in Northumberland St has ended its 20 odd years association with the street as it closed its doors at 7pm last night for the final time.

The store is closed today and staff were in until 3am working on moving and setting up between the old and new stores.

3261 - 3280 of 12306 Posts