SkyscraperCity Forum banner
3281 - 3300 of 12449 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Here's the latest view of the new Next for you, taken yesterday (10 May):

And another:

I also noted that the escalator up to Sports Direct was unshuttered and in use, which I'm sure hasn't been the case for ages:

As reported previously, there are now boards up outside the old BHS, as well as the old Collectables:

All these pics - and a few others - are from http://www.soultsretailview.co.uk/2...pdates-of-newcastles-new-retail-developments/

·
Urban Environmentalist
1,661 Posts
Now... if ES have any sense they will replicate what they have done with the Next store on the last remaining grotty frontage to Old Eldon Square. They could glaze to 2/3 height and create some nice big units. It would look great.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,288 ·
So... who's been to the new Next then?

I walked past on my way back from the pub at 1am this morning and it looked pretty good with all the lights on!
Its excellent, whoever was responsible for the int design and layout has really earned their corn (particularly when you remember the mish-mash that was there beforehand). Mens and kids section greatly improved, cant comment on others as those were the only I saw, but I'm sure the ladies/homeware/sports sections are similarly improved. One slight criticism, too many mirrored columns are a bit 80s for me, but the huge slate-faced walls are a very nice touch (and not cheap one would imagine). Lipsy has a separate entrance from ES, but is linked internally also so I would imagine is only classed as a concession.

MASSIVE improvement, both internally and externally. Really does go to show what could be done with the Blackett street stretch (which is really looking poor in comparison these days....it really is the new skid row of ES)

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Its wierd because of the bricks being setback and the architects utilising them, it looks as if thats how it always has been and the glass has just been renewed. I walk past this everyday from work and its just improved the streetscape immensely.

Now if CSC can demolish Sports Direct (I know its valuable retail space and will never happen) then Percy Street will be something that I wouldn't be ashamed to show people. But in reality just renew the pavements underneath the store, more lighting (use lights that give off white light, H&M uses it in its N'land Street store interiors above the rails and looks like real light acting like a clerestory) and cordinating wall and ceiling materials.

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
I actually like that Next building now... I don't just think that the glazing improves it, but I genuinely like it. I'm not sure you'd design something brand new to look like that, but there's something very solid about it. It does need that line of metal roofing above it though, otherwise it'd look rather squat.

In fact, if you put something lightweight and organic-looking on top of it, in glass or timber, or even something quite colourful, that would look great.

·
The Legend
13,381 Posts
It's pretty decent, I went in today and I was expecting bigger, though it is fairly big. I like the glass lifts and the way the escalators are laid out is much better. Also the ground floor has a lot more shop space than what Topshop had. I never found the coffee shop someone mentioned a little back they were going to have, also the home section still seemed small.

I don't think they should have those slated walls behind the street windows though, they should have slated the white blank bits of wall instead, but the full length slated wall where the escalators are is a nice touch though. I don't know why but I was still expecting bigger.

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
I can't see from the external photos exactly what the slated sections are, but if they're large masses partially blocking the window they might be there in part to block out some of the sun and reduce over-heating. Those windows face roughly west, where you get very hot, low sun penetrating right into buildings and making them very hot very quickly. It also gives you more wall space to display clothes around/in front of.

However as I say, I'm pretty much guessing.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Tynemouths Sainsburys finally has an opening date of 7am on 25 May according to the signs outside now

I mentioned a while ago a new mens shop on High Bridge - Trickle? I've just realised it used to be on Grey St, near the bottom on the righthand side

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Have been into the new Next today and to be honest I was a bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong the actual shop fit is nice but the size of the store doesn't seem that much bigger than their old one on Northumberland Street , the mens bit and home bit anyway. It seems a lot smaller than the Metro centre store although the set up of the MC is odd. I agree that the outside looks a million times better and Csc could definitely do the same on Blackett street which would be the final price of the jigsaw when it comes to updating the centre. I however dunno if this would happen as the the new frontage would be into what is basically a bus station. I just wish they would get rid of those bloody buses on that street and make it pedestrianised the benefits for the
Monument and old eldon square would be immense.
One thing I did notice today I found all over the town was the increasing number of empty shops even in eldon square but particularly monument mall, grey street and grainger street. Everything just all looked a bit run down. I guess it's just the age we are now living in.

·
Northumberland Import
1,597 Posts
The Home Dept is slightly bigger but when planning the Newcastle store (after being unable to get Monument Mall) they took into account the new standalone Next home store at the Metrocentre and the Silverlink store (the most profitable home dept store in the NE)

Menswear is slightly larger but not by much. More consideration has been given to womenswear (because simply it makes a hell of a lot more money) and childrenswear

The MC is like a jigsaw because CSC reneged on an agreement to give next the Millies and keycutting shops so Next built around it

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
New Sainsbury store at Newcastle Central Station to open '22nd June'. How did that get planning permission in a prominent part Grade 1 building ? The 'Big Two' supermarkets are taking over by stealth. More litter on the streets as well as people eat on the hoof from their 'Hot Food' counter.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I think it's a great thing, for what has to the major UK station with the worst retail/catering provision! I do wish it was M&S or Waitrose, however, as I agree that Sainsburys' spread is increasingly ferocious. However, at least it's not the Japanese Knot Weed! (Tesco)!

3281 - 3300 of 12449 Posts