SkyscraperCity Forum banner
3301 - 3320 of 12356 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
According to the workmen, Shieldfield Sainsbury opens next Monday. It's all fitted out and stock is on the shelves, and it has a bakery and a much-needed external cashpoint.
I went past at 6 this evening and the door was open so you could see part of the way inside - shelves are in place but there was no stock on them yet. But yes, it looks like it will be done soon.

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
I went past at 6 this evening and the door was open so you could see part of the way inside - shelves are in place but there was no stock on them yet. But yes, it looks like it will be done soon.
I'm not sure when it's opening but I understand it's very soon. The Tynemouth/Broadway store will open on Wednesday (a week from now).

The Shieldfield store will be known as the street it sits on, Falconer street. I'm not sure if it's open there yet or not (I don't go around there in that part of Newcastle) but a local Tesco store will also open along side it.

·
14,078 Posts
The Shieldfield store will be known as the street it sits on, Falconer street. I'm not sure if it's open there yet or not (I don't go around there in that part of Newcastle) but a local Tesco store will also open along side it.
A Tesco in the same block; never seen that before. I'm surprised that they d go for that.

·
Geordieologist
1,439 Posts
You've got me puzzled now!

The Shieldfield store is on Argyle Street. It occupies the entire ground floor of the building, which is owned by a student accommodation rental company. I can't see anywhere nearby, never mind alongside, that a Tesco could open.

There is some talk locally that Tesco may take a unit in the building that replaces the soon-to-be-demolished Shieldfield club, but that's a quarter of a mile away on Shield Street.

·
14,078 Posts

The Shieldfield store is on Argyle Street. It occupies the entire ground floor of the building, which is owned by a student accommodation rental company. I can't see anywhere nearby, never mind alongside, that a Tesco could open.

There is some talk locally that Tesco may take a unit in the building that replaces the soon-to-be-demolished Shieldfield club, but that's a quarter of a mile away on Shield Street.
I must admit I was surprised knowing the building, it's about 2-3 minutes walk from me, as is the quayside Tesco but in the other direction. That's a lot of Tescos in a small space, though I suppose i could say the same about Haymarket-Clayton Street. I'm surprised that the Co Op haven't done more 'locals' in this area given the large student population, their play on 'green' and 'ethical' matters etc.

I see that Curry's on Silverlink Retail Park is closed down for refurbishment to reopen as a 'Massive Store'. The nearby PC World is now selling a selection of white goods of its sister company.
Oh joy, the opportunity to be greeted by high pressure sales techniques from complete donkeys with no product knowledge. I still recall returning a printer bought three days earlier to be told by a 'techie' 'It's f*****d mate, not our problem, nothing we can do'.

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts

I'm just going by what I have been told.

·
Geordieologist
1,439 Posts
I'm just going by what I have been told.
I took these pics today. The sign outside says it will open on Friday, June 3rd. The hours will be 7am - 11pm, seven days a week.

There seems to be some confusion regarding its address Chris: an old sign on a the building on the corner of New Bridge Street says its Falconer Street, but Google Maps and the Newcastle upon Tyne A-Z says it's on Argyle Street.

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
Siansbury's are referring to it as Falconer Street. The 7am-11pm 7 days a week are typical of Sainsbury's local stores. The only one off the top of my head who is different is the Gallowgate store which open at 6am after Tesco's opened up at ESS and Percy street.

Also the Tynemouth store will have separate business upstairs which has yet to be determined who exactly it will be.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,313 ·

I'd heard that site was earmarked for a Chinese community centre/church as they had outgrown their adjacent site (not from a particularly reliable source it has to be said). Though quite frankly with Tesco, opening within a church is probably seen the next logical step in their plans for world domination.

Could the new Tesco not be round the corner on New Bridge Street in that student block? Theres certainly a lot of ground floor space and im pretty sure it has A1 consent only (though i may be mistaken).

·
14,078 Posts
Siansbury's are referring to it as Falconer Street. The 7am-11pm 7 days a week are typical of Sainsbury's local stores. The only one off the top of my head who is different is the Gallowgate store which open at 6am after Tesco's opened up at ESS and Percy street.

Also the Tynemouth store will have separate business upstairs which has yet to be determined who exactly it will be.
In the strictest sense it is on Argyle Street, but just:

Not doubting your word, but can t work out how they'd put a Tesco on the first floor, it's student apartments.

Could the new Tesco not be round the corner on New Bridge Street in that student block? Theres certainly a lot of ground floor space and im pretty sure it has A1 consent only (though i may be mistaken).
That would make more sense.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That's what I thought, there seems to be a couple of large units on the ground floor.

In other news, I noticed some type of preperation is underway behind the scenes in the unit to the left of Lau's 202 on Newgate Street, someone moving in finally?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
There seems to be some confusion regarding its address Chris: an old sign on a the building on the corner of New Bridge Street says its Falconer Street, but Google Maps and the Newcastle upon Tyne A-Z says it's on Argyle Street.
Does this help? Image from Newcastle Electronic Maps Online (NEMO)
Falconer Street is north of New Bridge Street, Argyle Street is south. Image is an extract of an OS map so is a lot more accurate than Google or A-Z.

Cheers
GBDT

·
23,210 Posts
Native Print Limited opens Newcastle City Centre store
by Chris Knox, The Journal, May 21st 2011

A PRINTING business is looking to tap into the North East’s reputation as a student hotspot and grow its sales after opening a new shop in the centre of Newcastle. Native Print Limited has just opened its third branch on Ridley Place, in Newcastle City Centre, and said that it is now hoping to open a fourth shop in Durham by the end of the year. The firm, which was originally launched in 2001, is looking to increase its sales from £300,000 to £500,000 in two years time, with its services popular with students as well as the region’s small businesses. The business, which is headquartered at a shop in Heaton, Newcastle, and also has a site in South Shields, provides a range of services, including business card printing, graphic design and sign printing.

Read More - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/busines...s-newcastle-city-centre-store-51140-28734589/

·
Registered
166 Posts
3 new Baguette Express outlets opening in North East this summer, followed by 2 more towards the end of the year

Some points still in negotiations, but will keep you all posted as soon as I have solid information

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,319 ·
3 new Baguette Express outlets opening in North East this summer, followed by 2 more towards the end of the year

Some points still in negotiations, but will keep you all posted as soon as I have solid information
Is the Byker one still operating? last few times ive been past, the shutters have been down.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Is the Byker one still operating? last few times ive been past, the shutters have been down.
Yeah - they were shut from the water damage caused whilst the fire in Mama Mias next door was dealt with - but should be open again very soon as I know the contractors were in late last week repairing the shop

3301 - 3320 of 12356 Posts