SkyscraperCity banner

4081 - 4100 of 11953 Posts

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
My earliest memories of the City don't go back to far mid 90s at best, but as far as I can remember the Newgate Centre has never been much of a success. For those of you who have earlier memories of the place was it ever a success?

Was it ever full of people? Big name shops? Personally, In all the years I've known it I've never known it to have passed more then half a dozen people while working though it.

Jamie
I can't go much further back than the early 90s myself when I used to take my grandchildren to the town, I was never in the place before that. I remember we used to pass through Woolworths and out the back door which was in the Newgate Centre and down to Wimpy and that was about it. I couldn't tell you what else was in there apart from the model shop next to Woolies and a newsagent. It didn't impress me ever.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,392 Posts
My earliest memories of the City don't go back to far mid 90s at best, but as far as I can remember the Newgate Centre has never been much of a success. For those of you who have earlier memories of the place was it ever a success?

Was it ever full of people? Big name shops? Personally, In all the years I've known it I've never known it to have passed more then half a dozen people while working though it.

Jamie
Malcolm McDonald (Super Mac) had a mens outfitters there in the 1970/80's :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
i reckon it will be at least 2 years if not more before anything happens with the newgate centre.

the developer has interests elsewhere especially london and i think they would be focusing there intentions there rather than a secondary retail scheme in the north east.

the only way that will come out of the ground is with pre-lets and i dont see a) another anchor coming to newcastle yet b) not in the newgate centre anyways c) hotels were part of the masterplan but lending is difficult on the way the franchise agreements are setup so this is also likely to hinder.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
On Hood Street tonight I saw a statutory notice in the window of the Oxfam Bookshop applying for a gambling licence for Ladbrokes. One of the volunteers I spoke to said it wasn't yet definite that Oxfam was leaving, but...

It will be a huge shame if the city centre (a) loses yet another bookshop and (b) gains yet another bookies. Especially if Oxfam don't relocate in the centre but concentrate their second hand books on the (overpriced) Jesmond bookshop.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,392 Posts
On Hood Street tonight I saw a statutory notice in the window of the Oxfam Bookshop applying for a gambling licence for Ladbrokes. One of the volunteers I spoke to said it wasn't yet definite that Oxfam was leaving, but...

It will be a huge shame if the city centre (a) loses yet another bookshop and (b) gains yet another bookies. Especially if Oxfam don't relocate in the centre but concentrate their second hand books on the (overpriced) Jesmond bookshop.
That would be a shame if it went from a book shop to a bookies, rather ironic ring to it though.

Perhaps Ladbrokes are simply testing the water with their application under reference 11/07964/BET | Betting Premises | Open for Consultation | Ladbrokes 8 Hood Street Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 6JQ

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Malcolm Macdonald shop

Indeed he did . .

I remember I met Alan Owen a few times, in 1975 I think it was.
My anecdote is that I went in one day and Malcolm was lurking behind the counter.
I bought a white(?) jumper.
It was the day before they were having a sale and Macolm said "give him the sale price".
So I got some money off and he signed the very large carrier bag!
Supermac! :banana:

·
13,508 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
It was the official relaunch of M&S in the Metrocenter yesterday, the first ever store to have a 32week refit turnaround, it seems like there going all out! It now boasts the biggest womenswear and menswear in the region, (NE&lakes) and the biggest homeware and kidswear in the north, it is one of the biggest M&S out of town location with over 14000sqft of retail space, it's takings should be comparable with that of the stores in Edinburgh and London Crowley, although its hospitality offering M&S cafe and M&S Kitchen is forth best in the country behind Newcastle, Marble arch and Gemmi*

·
Registered
7 Posts
First post...

Apparently the Wallis/Evans unit in Momument Mall on the Blackett Street/Northumberland Street corner is to close in the early new year, around 7th Jan. Not surprising with the recent Arcadia closure announcements. Apparently Evans is to have a section in the new BHS on Northumberland Street when that opens.

·
Registered
602 Posts
First post...

Apparently the Wallis/Evans unit in Momument Mall on the Blackett Street/Northumberland Street corner is to close in the early new year, around 7th Jan. Not surprising with the recent Arcadia closure announcements. Apparently Evans is to have a section in the new BHS on Northumberland Street when that opens.
Great post, and welcome! :)

That's also good news in the sense that it's a sign of things happening at Monument Mall. From the plans that we were discussing a few weeks ago, it's clear that the existing tenants will need to shuffle around in order for the planned redevelopment to take place.

·
Super Moderator
22,516 Posts
It was the official relaunch of M&S in the Metrocenter yesterday, the first ever store to have a 32week refit turnaround, it seems like there going all out! It now boasts the biggest womenswear and menswear in the region, (NE&lakes) and the biggest homeware and kidswear in the north, it is one of the biggest M&S out of town location with over 14000sqft of retail space, it's takings should be comparable with that of the stores in Edinburgh and London Crowley, although its hospitality offering M&S cafe and M&S Kitchen is forth best in the country behind Newcastle, Marble arch and Gemmi*

I remember when the M&S store at the MetroCentre had a number of 'M&S records' as . .

(a) The only 'out of town' M & S Store (which it isn't now, of course) and
(b) The largest "Single Floor" M & S store (I don't know if it is still that?)

Of course, over the last 40 years or so the 'Northumberland Street' and 'Baker Street' M & S stores (the latter being at the M&S Head Office location, in London) have constantly and repeatedly been reported as interchanging between eachother as holding so many different records, most of the time, eg . .

(a) Largest M&S store
(b) Largest Revenue (Revenue 'per square foot')
(c) Largest Food Department
(d) Largest Revenue (Revenue 'per square foot') Food Department

and so on . . .

I don't know "who holds what" record (if any) between Northumberland Street and Baker Street, at this precise moment!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I remember when the M&S store at the MetroCentre had a number of 'M&S records' as . .

(a) The only 'out of town' M & S Store (which it isn't now, of course) and
(b) The largest "Single Floor" M & S store (I don't know if it is still that?)

Of course, over the last 40 years or so the 'Northumberland Street' and 'Baker Street' M & S stores (the latter being at the M&S Head Office location, in London) have constantly and repeatedly been reported as interchanging between eachother as holding so many different records, most of the time, eg . .

(a) Largest M&S store
(b) Largest Revenue (Revenue 'per square foot')
(c) Largest Food Department
(d) Largest Revenue (Revenue 'per square foot') Food Department

and so on . . .

I don't know "who holds what" record (if any) between Northumberland Street and Baker Street, at this precise moment!!
Unfortunately Baker street is no longer with us, Newcastle's biggest rival now is Marble Arch. Newcastle has the most profitable food hall ever in the chain as long with there hospitality, Newcastle store being the only store to have all sub brands (M&S cafe, M&S kitchen, Deli bar, The restaurant and Hot food on the move) They only fall slightly behind on the sales of GM products.*

I wouldn't be surprised if we start to see Newcastle's food hall developed slightly, to include the newly launched Delicatessen serving freshly made pasta, cheeses, meats ect.*

·
Northumberland Import
1,572 Posts
M&S foodhall certainly could do with development, I personally dislike the layout. Its far too cluttered and quite hard to shop through.

I've taken to Waitrose purely for its deli and cheese counters (aside that place in Grainger Market)

Though I'm torn to say whether or not the metrocentre M&S is actually any better

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Count yourselves lucky...my local M&S (Leicester City Centre) is about 4 refurbs behind Newcastle. It still doesn't have the lime green branding, the black-tiled food hall etc. All fixtures, fittings and branding are from the St Michael's days, and it's tiny! Very bizarre for a city centre location, and almost upsetting/depressing to walk round! Their local out-of-town store at Fosse Park is much more up-to-date (as on one of the UK's most profitable retail parks) but still quite a bit behind Northumberland St.

Recently met someone from M&S head office who explained that the city centre store wasn't worth investment as it just about broke even...worth keeping for a city centre presence...and that the Newcastle store was the absolute flagship outside of London, and would always be a step ahead with trials, new roll-outs etc.

I think N'land St is a brilliant store - very modern, bright and huge! Feels as trendy as any Selfridges round the country (which is always a distinctly average experience...)

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Walking through Fenwicks yesterday I was intrigued to see that their book section is now in the basement, between fridges and bedding, and run as a WH Smith concession. How long has all this been going on, then (and please don't answer '1888' or whenever)?

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Walking through Fenwicks yesterday I was intrigued to see that their book section is now in the basement, between fridges and bedding, and run as a WH Smith concession. How long has all this been going on, then (and please don't answer '1888' or whenever)?
Fenwicks is dead tbh. the entire store is ran as a warehouse full of independent concessions. quite sad really.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Graham!

Also learnt today the Body Shop store on Blackett Street is also to close soon. Never really understood how the city centre can sustain 3 of their units in such close proximity. The reason for the Wallis/ Evans closure is down to high rent. Although, of course, long term this may be due to the planned redevelopment of Monument Mall.

4081 - 4100 of 11953 Posts