SkyscraperCity Forum banner
421 - 440 of 12461 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I think we've got to realise that there are limitations to what could be done here, Eldon Square as a whole probably makes a huge profit (biglebowski could shed some light here), and they have been updating the mall piece by piece whilst keeping it open.

Also the new mall is a disappointment as it just expand the site but it does have as some have suggested; an oversized entrance, an active street frontage and large modern units that attract retailers. But i've got to say i don't think NCC would have won in a planning appeal case if they were arguing over the design, this seems to be the one issue where planning appeals fail. Whereas with the other centres in other cities, they seem to be completely brand new development that got rid of large parts of the city and therefore have to contribute otherwise they wouldn't be granted permission.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I never understood why PC world left its prime location on the Silverlink to be stuck away in that tiny little store along next to B&Q.

I bet they dont make half the money they used to. I certainly never visit it anymore whereas I used to go in there every time when it was on the Silverlink.

Was it the rent that made them move? I hardly think money is a problem for them or were they forced out for the crappy M&S?
depends whos perspective you were looking from. maybe the silverlink developer who moved them and then sold the investment!

·
Registered
158 Posts
the simple fact is, we dont have the rental value in either the office or retail sectors to justify spectacular developments.

manchester and the like have the values to do so, though alot of it is vacant, it was built in the period when cash was flowing and the rental values at the time justified the lending in the banks perspective.

look out for what happens at the very end of northumberland street, at the old bank, near the roundabout. ;)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Peach said that the firm would now focus on plans for the immediate redevelopment of the Bank of England building and refurbishment of Carliol House, both on the East Pilgrim Street site, which are expected to go ahead next year.
http://www.regen.net/news/ByDiscipline/Physical-Regeneration/936197/Recession-stalls-Newcastle-renewal/

shiggy said:
look out for what happens at the very end of northumberland street, at the old bank, near the roundabout.
I'm guessing your talking about the redevelopment of the old Bank of England building then shiggy?

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
the simple fact is, we dont have the rental value in either the office or retail sectors to justify spectacular developments.

manchester and the like have the values to do so, though alot of it is vacant, it was built in the period when cash was flowing and the rental values at the time justified the lending in the banks perspective.

look out for what happens at the very end of northumberland street, at the old bank, near the roundabout. ;)
not much difference between newcastle, belfast, leicester, bristol, as far as city-centre retail goes, and those are cities i linked to, not manchester. in fact i'd even say places like Bury are building more ambitious retail than Newcastle atm. I know ES South was only an extension but so was Leicester's and not that much bigger and newcastle council is a joint partner with capital shopping so could've pushed for something better. oh well.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
the bank of england is a good opportunity for a fairly big building, being right next to swan house. it doesn't strike me as a particularly good site for retail though.
Exactly what I was thinking, surely more likely to be offices? or a hotel perhaps? Could be quite a good hotel with views down onto the Tyne Bridge! Actually thinking about hotels, I wonder why no-one has tried to do what they are doing with the Tyne brewery HQ and refurbished Tyne Bridge Tower into a hotel.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Personally i don;t think the ES south is/ was large enough to build something like built in Bristol or Liverpool. CSC had to have the mall running level with the current level of the mall or it would have looked weird and would have looked a bit daft. We would have had to have bif steps going down if we were to have the extension level with the street- or had it like Liverpool One with you going from Top Shop into the first floor with escalators going down to the bottom floor. We still would have needed to have had Debenhams a big block at the end, and therefore the Liverpool One type design, with the first floor balconies would have had to be rather short IMO. They had to have an anchor store or else it probably wouldnt have filled in. Thats what I reckon anyway- the land wasnt really big enough to much more than produce a mall- to have it open aired as well IMO would be daft as well seeing as the rest of the mall is undercover. Lets also not forget the weather here is bloody shit even in the height of summer. Our only way of getting some good architecture in terms of retail was/is East Pilgrim Street- however I get the feeling this is going to now be built bit by bit now.

I know the crappy fake windows are crap and the rather boring walls are a bit boring- I just wish they would listen to us and put some ads or something on there- like Picadilly Circus type thing.

Well at least we probable know that the under offer unit is probably Hollister- which is an excellent addition to the city- there are hardly any in the UK yet.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
Personally i don;t think the ES south is/ was large enough to build something like built in Bristol or Liverpool. CSC had to have the mall running level with the current level of the mall or it would have looked weird and would have looked a bit daft. We would have had to have bif steps going down if we were to have the extension level with the street- or had it like Liverpool One with you going from Top Shop into the first floor with escalators going down to the bottom floor. We still would have needed to have had Debenhams a big block at the end, and therefore the Liverpool One type design, with the first floor balconies would have had to be rather short IMO. They had to have an anchor store or else it probably wouldnt have filled in. Thats what I reckon anyway- the land wasnt really big enough to much more than produce a mall- to have it open aired as well IMO would be daft as well seeing as the rest of the mall is undercover. Lets also not forget the weather here is bloody shit even in the height of summer. Our only way of getting some good architecture in terms of retail was/is East Pilgrim Street- however I get the feeling this is going to now be built bit by bit now.

I know the crappy fake windows are crap and the rather boring walls are a bit boring- I just wish they would listen to us and put some ads or something on there- like Picadilly Circus type thing.

Well at least we probable know that the under offer unit is probably Hollister- which is an excellent addition to the city- there are hardly any in the UK yet.
im not suggesting we copy what has been done elsewhere, every site is different and poses different challenges. My post was designed to highlight the ambition and finish of retail projects in cities of similar population and retail spend, and even smaller in some cases. It is too late for ES South but when it comes to rejigging the rest we should be more ambitious. EPS will not happen - at least not as a single huge retail-led scheme on the level of L1 or Cabot Circus, so it is pointless to cling onto it as our great white hope. i do wonder if the council's pointless focus on drafting and redrafting masterplans for that area has anything to do with this ES redevelopment flying under the radar of 'quality control'. the council have a stake in the mall so should've been more active in promoting good design. In particular in drafting a masterplan they actually had some hope of implementing so that ES is not developed piecemeal in the future as it has been until now, but rather following a pre-defined pattern.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
depends whos perspective you were looking from. maybe the silverlink developer who moved them and then sold the investment!
There was an article in the Journal on the 9th October (Can't find it on the website anywhere, but North Tyneside Council rejected planning permission for a Nando's and a Krispy Kremes at the Silverlink fearing it would drive custom away from the nearby towns of Wallsend and North Shields

There's not one Krispy Kremes North of Manchester and NTC piss the opportunity up the wall.

(sure i have posted this before but it's beter in the correct thread now)

421 - 440 of 12461 Posts