SkyscraperCity Forum banner
461 - 480 of 12443 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Elliot, if we only have shops that you shop in, we're going to be a bit thin on the ground! There's some real hatred on this board for superdry (a brand I actually quite like), coupled with some love for stores I can't stnd, like GAP, but surely, all of these national and international brands should be welcomed. We (the retail beggars) really can't afford to be choosers

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Sorry just my rant last night, sorry if i sounded rather snobby and middle class lol, i actually have a pair of superdry jeans but i bought them in fenwicks and they have a small label on the waistband. I think i just dislike the huge logo spread on t-shirts etc. However, I also have a dislike for Gap too, albeit thats more due to the ethical standards and rather dull overpriced clothes.

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
How very dare you! I dress head-to-toe in Gap!

Nah, only kidding, just thought I'd jump in on the debate... Either way, as has been said, there's plenty of different brands out there that some will like and others won't. The main thing is that if they come into the city centre, we'll see an increase in shoppers and spending in the city as fans of those brands are attracted away from other retail centres.

For what it's worth though, purely in terms of my own shopping desires, I'd rather have one independent like Union on Grey St (it is independent, isn't it?) that sells something a little different, than five national/international brand stores. As I say, they offer something a little more original and are much less likely to disappear when the going gets tough.

Either way, we really need both.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Well we wont be getting a proper Gap any time soon I would imagine, for whatever reason it obviously hasnt caught on in the NE, whereas elsewhere in the country they seem to be on every street corner (like a garment selling *****).

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
GAP hasnt really took on very well anywhere in the UK outside of London. Their international sales are diabolical.

I disagree that if some retail won't open in the Metro Centre then they won't open in the city centre. They do have different shoppers though but, if we were talking about somone like Selfridges- it is all about the image and tbh the metro centre is still a bit crappy- especially some of the little crappy independent stores selling rubbish and parts of the blue mall and even the green. I am really surprised the Kurt Geiger open in the green mall- the shop looks lovely- sell £100+ shoes- it would have been suited much more in the new red mall.

After walking round the metro centre last night it made me think even more what a wasted opportunity the city centre has lost. I mean, depsite the competition from the MC, the metrco center certainly isnt your Bluewater, Trafford Centre- many parts of the centre are shit- small units for retailers that usually have big stores- crap independent stores. They have parts that are nice but then to get to them you have to go through awful parts- the Qube for example is fine- however the way to it past the empty woolworths and the parst opposite argos selling hoover parts etc aint that attractive.
What I am getting at is that the MC isnt brilliant and therefore it wouldnt have taken loads of thought to compete with it but NCC totally lost its chance- i mean we went through one of the biggest and longest boom since the end of the second world war and we had blocks and blocks of empty property next to our main retail core and nothing was done. Such a shame as many retailers- especially your high end which is what the NE is lacking- would much prefer to be located in an attractive high street in a old victorian buildings or modern quirky architecture rather than in a mall.
I would really love to meet up with the regeneration team at the council and get insie their heads and see what the hell goes on in them.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
agreed jon, selfridges or hn opening in the metro would be out on a limb by themselves, surrounded by tat. whereas in newcastle there is at least the chance to create a high end cluster of 10-20 stores along with a nice setting, expensive bars/restaurants. MC is a medium (chains) to low-end (independents) shopping destination atm and cant see that changing for a while yet.

·
The Legend
13,380 Posts
Borders on the Silverlink seems to be closing down pretty quick. I was in there on friday and all the stock is nearly gone and the carpets are all ripped up. Such a nice shop looking so tatty is sad really.
Damn, I hope it's open tomorrow, I'm going to have to go and see if the knock down prices are good.

What is it, 50% off?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Question: Monument Mall

If for example the Monument Mall was to be redeveloped and you had an open shell i.e. footprint and externals stay the same but the internal are to be completely redeveloped, what and who would you like to see in there?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Just an idea (might be a rubbish one BUT here goes) BUT i would quite like to see it house the high end retail stores - I know we have spoken about EPS and Grainger Street as potential locations for that.

BUT i reckon Monument Mall housing the likes of Boss, Armani etc etc could well work - all major fashion labels within one 'house' - just a thought

·
23,440 Posts
If for example the Monument Mall was to be redeveloped and you had an open shell i.e. footprint and externals stay the same but the internal are to be completely redeveloped, what and who would you like to see in there?
This was discussed on either the "City Centre Retail" thread, or the "Newcastle Department Stores" thread, can't remember which.

The best suggestion (in my opinion) was that the whole of Monument Mall could (because of 'location' etc) best serve the Newcastle retail scene as one BIG 'high-end' Department Store. The likes of Harvey Nichols (perhaps Selfridge) were suggested.

It really is a good size and an absolutely ideal location for a big Department Store (just 'imagine it') as is shown clearly, I think, by the below drawing that was used (for other reasons) on the 'Tyne & Wear Metro' thread, earlier today . . .

shiggy, have you noticed that (co-incidentally) we are also discussing 'Monument Mall' today, on the Historic Newcastle thread?

LINK to that post, here . . . http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=47414407&postcount=361

·
The Legend
13,380 Posts
I would be a good idea, but central arcade has got to be a better choice for things like Armani and stuff. Something needs to be done about the empty unit in that shopping mall though, it's one of the best buildings we have had built in the last 20 years or so, maybe even 40, and to see a couple of there stores empty, and big sized ones aswell, is a shame, it's got to be about 4 years since Boots moved.

Zara would be a good catch for them, so to would be Hollister (if they don't take a unit up in ES south), and many others aswell. I think they need an anchor tenant in there ASAP, I mean the one in the basement (I keep forgetting it's there and what it's even called) is out of the way, and most people will pass it not relising it's there.

I do like the food court up stairs there, though it is expensvie. Last year me and my mam went there for a cheap bite to eat, it cost me £17 for 2 scampi, chips, peas, bread&butter, and a drink of coke. I went into North Shields a week later, cost me £3.10 for one.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Just an idea (might be a rubbish one BUT here goes) BUT i would quite like to see it house the high end retail stores - I know we have spoken about EPS and Grainger Street as potential locations for that.

BUT i reckon Monument Mall housing the likes of Boss, Armani etc etc could well work - all major fashion labels within one 'house' - just a thought
I like that idea. I'd like to see Ted Baker in there too.

Get the Newcastle club shop out of there too :D

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #479 ·
I'd like to see an equivalent of Glasgow's Princess Square or Manchester's Triangle (obviously on a smaller scale). A few high end stores in a cluster is whats been missing from the city centre, and it doesnt neccessarily have to be high-end to the point of exclusivity (im thinking the likes of Muji or Molton Brown rather than Louis Vuitton and Mont Blanc). However it would need to be regulated - theres no point having the Newcastle branch of Heals flanked by Phones4U and Going Places, because as we've seen, that doesnt work *narrows eyes at Graingertown*

461 - 480 of 12443 Posts