SkyscraperCity Forum banner
21 - 40 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I just think its the ideal location for this type of mall in the city with the Listed buildings on Nelson Street and then a large modern frontage on Blackett Street with large openings and different levels.

Victoria Square, Belfast

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
With regard to Market Street, worrying signs that the street is losing trade in other areas. Mobem/Sharp/Dolphin store has a 'To Let' sign on it, that street is gonna be a total deadzone soon, with only Costa on the corner of Grey St and T J Hughes left.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Netto only have 0.7 market share with regards to food retail, so its not a huge change and Asda have been losing it over the past few months so it'll just level off their decline.

With regards to Peacocks, they've painted the building, thats about all i can tell at the moment. However, as the building is a 1930's typical Woolworths style building, i'm pretty sure it was glazed blocks (don't know the correct term), but they've also painted a similar building on the Bigg Market which houses Alexanders Deli. Don't really like the idea as the paint will inevitably begin to flake off due to the glazed surface underneath.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Someone may be able to explain, in the chronicle article

But the owner of High Friars, Aviva Investors Pensions Ltd, is believed to have offered a get-out clause to the council to allow it to rent the property to new tenants.
I thought it was owned by CSC and NCC. Greg, Biglebowski or Shiggy may be able to explain, but this may explain the contrast between this part of the Mall and others e.g its original construction appears cheaper than the rest.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Thanks, hist. Yeah i knew it wasn't part of the original development, as I said it wasn't built to the standard of the rest of the mall. But this actually could be a problem for redevelopment opportunities, considering this is the worst section of the mall.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
@chris, Jack Wills is kinda like a British Ralph Lauren, really preppy but unlike RL it mixes both the formal style of the main Ralph Lauren brand with formal shirts etc and the casual style of Polo Ralph Lauren.

Hope that makes sense, you see it alot with American Brands, where they have a higher end and a more affordable range e.g. Donna Karan and DKNY, Abercrombie & Fitch and Hollister etc.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
and I think Shiggy means, it'll not compete with Hollister as its target demographic although similar, they are completely different.

I'm sure the rah's at Newcastle with love that the brand is coming here, that and Waitrose are their staples back home.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Asset rich, cash poor? I found at Newcastle the richer the student the more down to earth they were, but the people whose parents had worked for it and given them everything were snotty. Although just my observation.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Yeah, a little too much 'social climbing' going on at Newcastle. Still its a great uni and hopefully the 'wealth' of the our students today will help the university in the future. I got an email the other about donating for the Alumni fund, may give some next year.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
When I worked at the Northumberland Street Primark during uni, they opened the MC one and loads of staff from the store helped it get ready for opening and they said the store in comparison was way better, but had a tiny stockroom. The Northumberland Street one is huge, covers the top floor of Primark and BHS building.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I agree with the first part of your sentence Chris, as I think Tkmaxx are basically a glorified Charity Shop. However, with regard to H&M, they are a high street staple. I dont shop there myself, like Topman for basics etc, but they're still a good retailer.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Yeah the 2 H&M's don't just sell the same stock at each store and there must be some retail / economic factors for the company. I'm sure i remember reading at the time somewhere that it was due to H&M not being able to find a 'single site' store in Newcastle City Centre, but that it was also one of the most profitable UK H&M stores.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
@Shiggy, Cruise is the same company as Flannels isn't it. Ive always thought, that reconfiguring the old Odeon site, pedestrianising Upper Pilgrim St and Hood Street and making this into our version of the Met Quarter.

Make Cruise / Flannels the anchor in the Old Odeon (thats a relocation of only 100m), as I don't think we'll ever get a Harvey Nic's or Selfridges, but at least they could take over Carliol House if they ever decided to move here. Then you've got Vivienne Westwood, attract 'one' more good high end label (tax break for a couple of years) e.g. Hugo Boss and you've got the begginings of a high end quarter, that I feel could grow organically if Hugo Boss was to work.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Isn't the other tree at the top of Northumberland Street, decent place where you have Haymarket, the civic centre, uni's and Northumberland Street converging; but if i remember rightly is crapply decorated.

21 - 40 of 199 Posts