Skyscraper City Forum banner
581 - 600 of 12341 Posts

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
i'd like a standalone diesel store, muji, and more independent shops, and something quirky like Colette from Paris.

most of all though, a good independent bookshop that doesn't sell shitty mass market paperbacks but proper books.

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
Diesel arn't a bad make, not my sort of thing, don't know why, though I'm sure I would like some of their jeans line up if I had a proper chance to see them.

I'm pretty sure their aftershave sales alone would be enough to make any diesel store around here profitable.

·
Registered
30,833 Posts
i'd like a standalone diesel store, muji, and more independent shops, and something quirky like Colette from Paris.

most of all though, a good independent bookshop that doesn't sell shitty mass market paperbacks but proper books.
I believe that Muji are in administration. Colette would be a quirky addition though.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
I believe that Muji are in administration. Colette would be a quirky addition though.
well, they are a paris only store, so it would need to be something home grown, or something like dover street market expanding. the closest i think we have is electrik sheep, or the end hunting stores, but they are nowhere near as good or big.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Ok then....what store would you all like to see open in Newcastle in the near future? I dont live in Newcastle any longer but all the same I would love to see Habitat return. I'm used to shopping there here in Paris, brilliant shop.
Be realistic though, obviously Gucci wont be opening up on Northumberland street any time soon...hahaha
No Surprise from me but Habitat ! Cant see it happening though as I believe they have just been sold and are looking at possible cutbacks. Heals would also be good but again very doubtful!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Some of my 'wants' are not that big really- I would like a decent sized Next in the city centre, the one on Northumberland Street is an embarresment when you consider the size of Next's in cities such as Liverpool or Manchester. I would also like a Zara in the city centre- Newcastle must be the only city or town that does not have one.
It lacks a home store in the city too- Pier was the only one and now there is nothing similar.
As I have mentioed many times, and has been proved by research carried out by the city council, compared to other similar cities in the UK it lacks your more high end retailers. By this I don't mean Gucci or Prada- I am maybe thinking of the likes of a stand alone Diesel, Ted Baker stores that seem to thrive in Nottingham or Leeds. Urban Oufitters would be welcome too. Molton Brown or L'Occitane would also be nice.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
urban outfitters are on the way apparently, no confirmation yet though
Mmmm, so I hear, however if they are not taking the fomer Zavvi store- which is either Barclays or Peacocks I can't see where they would open? Only other location would be the Top Shop/ Man in Eldon Square.

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
Mmmm, so I hear, however if they are not taking the fomer Zavvi store- which is either Barclays or Peacocks I can't see where they would open? Only other location would be the Top Shop/ Man in Eldon Square.
The old Boots store in Monumant Mall?, former Clarks store (when it moves) in ES, former New Look store (when it moves) in ES, former Republic sotre (when it moves) in ES.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Chris have you ever been in an Urban Outfitters? They are generally over two or 3 floors- the old boots is tiny as is the clarks and republic store. It is siad to be 12000 sq foot they are looking for. Maybe the New Look is a right size but is location makes it very doubtful.

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
Wow, you'd have thought that sales of camping gear would have gone up with people less able to go on foreign holidays... Are there any big chains of camping/outdoors equipment left?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #596 ·
Are you sure about that? i received an email about 'franchising opportunities' supposedly from them about two weeks ago...Good job i didnt reply, i can just see the missus' face as i spunked our life savings on a company about to go under....

·
Registered
166 Posts
Being from Glasgow originally before moving down to Newcastle recently for studies, I think Newcastle has the potential to be more like up there (retail wise - no Scottish jokes people!:lol:)

As mentioned here already, I am not talking the likes of Prada of Gucci either - but more along the lines of what Glasgow at least has

on Buchanan St for example, we have a few of the shops mentioned here - such as Diesel, Urban Outfitter & Ted Baker, and also Puma, Lacoste, G-Star, Boss etc - and then in the more up market part we have Armani, Ralph Lauren, Cruise (they sell Gucci, Prada, Y3, D&G, Louis Vuitton and so on). We even last month got a 30,000 square foot standalone Hamleys open - the first standalone in the UK outside of London!

Even Edinburgh recently got Multrees walk, which has attracted Armani, G-Star, Mulberry, Harvey Nics, Louis Vuitton - and that is a big big coup for Edin, which is generally pretty crap for retail!! With these big names now in, Urban Outfitters have also just opened a store there, so Just goes to show these brands will come if a decent development is built to accommodate them

I think Newcastle has a cracking potential for retail - and I'm not as clued up on the area as you guys - but surely there must be areas which have the potential to be developed to such a standard that it attracts these names?

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
i honestly think grainger town, specifically the very top of grey street and the part of grainger nearest to monument, along with a couple of side streets, is perfect for that sort of retail, provided the proper floorplates could be created - which may mean joining units together. there are obstacles to this - the grainger market and TJ Hughes for instance, which draw in a completely different sort of crowd. that area has had bits of both - reiss, karen millen, tucci, office, central arcade, cafe royal, olive & bean etc, alongside stagecoach buses, grainger market, the black garter and the christmas shop.

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
I don't think Grainger Market would hinder any chances of retail like that coming to that area, but TJ Hughes will, without a doubt, the main thing like fazaz said is getting the big-bigish store to start things off. I'm not sure if Urban Outfitters would be that store, but it's still needed in Newcastle, maybe this is where BigLebowski could help us, any chance of you cold calling them to enquire about them and other stores coming to Newcastle, Lebowski?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Being from Glasgow originally before moving down to Newcastle recently for studies, I think Newcastle has the potential to be more like up there (retail wise - no Scottish jokes people!:lol:)

As mentioned here already, I am not talking the likes of Prada of Gucci either - but more along the lines of what Glasgow at least has

on Buchanan St for example, we have a few of the shops mentioned here - such as Diesel, Urban Outfitter & Ted Baker, and also Puma, Lacoste, G-Star, Boss etc - and then in the more up market part we have Armani, Ralph Lauren, Cruise (they sell Gucci, Prada, Y3, D&G, Louis Vuitton and so on). We even last month got a 30,000 square foot standalone Hamleys open - the first standalone in the UK outside of London!

Even Edinburgh recently got Multrees walk, which has attracted Armani, G-Star, Mulberry, Harvey Nics, Louis Vuitton - and that is a big big coup for Edin, which is generally pretty crap for retail!! With these big names now in, Urban Outfitters have also just opened a store there, so Just goes to show these brands will come if a decent development is built to accommodate them

I think Newcastle has a cracking potential for retail - and I'm not as clued up on the area as you guys - but surely there must be areas which have the potential to be developed to such a standard that it attracts these names?
We have a Cruise as well, tucked away behind Northumberland Street, 2 infact.

We also had a Hamleys years ago where the HMV store is now, which used to be a Mark One store (God my mother used to drag me to that store every time we went to town, i hated it)

581 - 600 of 12341 Posts