SkyscraperCity banner

601 - 620 of 11842 Posts

·
The Legend
13,235 Posts
I remember the Mark One store, my mam also dragged me around there. By the way I went to Cruise only last week, and honestly, it was very very sh*t, had virtually nothing decent in, which for bigname brands is very disapointing.

I'm sure one of the Cruise's is a outlet.

We also have a Lacoste store.:bash::bash::bash::bash::bash:

·
Registered
166 Posts
lol - sorry guys - that is why i did say i dont know the area as well as you guys

You get what Im saying though.

Edinburgh = poor retail. However it gets Harvey Nics, and all the other big names followed.

Glasgow has always been top notch for retail, over-saturated if anything (there seems to be 4 or 5 of each store in town, even the likes of G-star & Superdry have outlets galore!) so perhaps unfair to compare to that - but Edinburgh is a very very good example I feel

IMO, Newcastle city centre is a great area - but it just lacks big names

·
The Legend
13,235 Posts
lol - sorry guys - that is why i did say i dont know the area as well as you guys

You get what Im saying though.

Edinburgh = poor retail. However it gets Harvey Nics, and all the other big names followed.

Glasgow has always been top notch for retail, over-saturated if anything (there seems to be 4 or 5 of each store in town, even the likes of G-star & Superdry have outlets galore!) so perhaps unfair to compare to that - but Edinburgh is a very very good example I feel

IMO, Newcastle city centre is a great area - but it just lacks big names
I tend to agree with you, I've always tried to compare Newcastle to Glasgow, because of the past industries we shre, the fact that many people are working class people in both areas, and Newcastle if you took the true account of how many people it would attract to shop (including Sunderland, Northumberland, and at a push Teeside) they would be of a similar size to each other aswell. Like you said, Glasgow does very well on the retail front despite many people form there not being well off, and it's also known that some parts of Glasgow even has some of the worst cases of poverty in Britain, but yet they still do very well, not only in retail, which is something I think Newcastle should aspire to.

As you say though, many shops in Glasgow are repeated, something which I don't think would be needed as much here in Newcastle though, but yes Newcastle should look towards Glasgow, and maybe Edinburgh aswell for inspiration.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Saw Avatar at the Imax just now. Was really impressive in terms of visual effects although the story itself wasn't that good.
What about the iMax experience? I went to the Odeon MC last Saturday and was impressed with the cinema although we didn't get to the Imax screen as we went to watch a christmas carol instead.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Yeah, it was brilliant, the pictures were very sharp and high quality and the sound was great. I'd totally recommend it, especially for Avatar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just cant get over that price to see a movie. Its unbelievable to me.
I was quite surprised at how cheap it was to be honest, I was expecting £15. Although I am used to London prices. Am off there tomorrow to have a look, what with it being the quietest day of the year to visit the Metro Centre :eek:hno:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Baguette Express (currently on St Marys Place) taking kiosk unit.

Newsagent (currently next to bus depot) taking another kiosk

·
Registered
2,714 Posts

The one on St Mary's Place has just opened (last couple of months) so I doubt it's moving.

I rather like it - quite apart from anything else it doesn't reek like Subways all seem to do, and you don't need to have a degree in systems theory to be able to order a sandwich.

·
Registered
166 Posts

Well it didn't come from me, so may as well get it out in the open now!:lol:

My mate is the franchisor for Baguette Express in the North East, and he is planning a huge roll out over the next few years. They currently have franchised shops in Sunderland, Byker and St Marys Place, and this Eldon Square one will be his own company ran flagship store.

They are also currently in negotiations for stores in areas such as Jesmond, Chilli Road etc.

They started in Scotland little over 3 years ago from nothing, and have expanded 900% in the past 24 months to about 70 stores in the UK now - with the next few years focus being on growing in England

Pop in to one of the above mentioned stores if you get a chance - they certainly are different from your bog standard run of the mill sandwich shop in that they use 100% chicken breast fillet, 100% sliced meats etc - nothing processed, and everything you see in their display from the coleslaw to the cheese savory is made in store every morning

They have a unique concept in the sense of their simple two step menu - you chose AS MANY fillings as you want, and choose whether you want it on a baguette, panini, baked potato, salad box, wrap, toastie, sandwich or roll - and you pay the same price no matter how many fillings you pick (there is no limit whatsoever)

Their cheapest item is a roll (£1.80), and most expensive being a panini (£2.70)

And yes, Newsagent next door too

·
Super Moderator
22,404 Posts
If I never go in another shop until next Christmas, it will be too soon!!

Sales off to great start in North East
Dec 29 2009 Evening Chronicle

SALES fever continues to grip the North East as stores around the region slashed their prices to pull in the shoppers. Crowds continued to descend on the Metrocentre Gateshead and Newcastle’s Eldon Square in the hunt for a bargain and some post-Christmas treats. High Street giants Debenhams and Next were today in their fourth day of their sales and offering shoppers some of the best bargains with discounts of up to 70%. Other big chains, including John Lewis, Fenwick, BHS, Marks and Spencer and House of Fraser were also offering goods with price tags slashed by up to 50%. Cars snaked out the car parks and shoppers piled though the doors of the region’s shopping centres as retailers continued to enjoy a record-breaking start to the sales.

·
The Legend
13,235 Posts
I see the Oil & Vinegar unit in Eldon Square has closed down... Quite a few units to let in St Georges Way at the moment...
Damn, that seemed to give that area of ES something, just seemed very pretty to look at as you walked passed, I'm guessing that was the problem though, too many people walking passed and not going in.

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
I went into Oil & Vinegar not long before Christmas and was the only person in there. It seemed pretty clear at that point that they weren't going to last much longer...

601 - 620 of 11842 Posts