Skyscraper City Forum banner
641 - 660 of 12340 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Tried the Pram Centre in Glasgow??

http://www.pramcentreonline.co.uk/shop/index.php

Online shopping too, and one of the more popular choices up in Glasgow - a good alternative to the bank breaking Mamas & Papas
Nice one Fazaz, will give that a go! Incidently as yoy mentioned Mamas and Papas, they are currently selling a shelf for a kids nursery for £80!I have since made an exact replica for 8.50!!Its a complete rip off!and not that good either tbh!

·
23,189 Posts
Of course it is not a department store, but does anyone have any photographs of Malcolm Macdonald's boutique in Newgate Shopping Centre?
Hi Elswick, as you say, not a Department Store, so I have moved your question to the general City Centre Retail thread.

I remember the store well, in the corner of the Newgate Shopping Centre, near the entrance to Woolies (I think). I used to have business dealings with Malcolm and his business partner in the shop, a guy called Owen. Owen was his surname (the partnership was MacDonald & Owen) but I can't remember his first name.

I do not have a photo of the shop, and I have been unable to find one anywhere, sorry.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Shakeaway are opening at Eldon Square in March, they will be opening in the former Lovejuice unit.

http://www.shakeaway.com/subsites/uk/shops.htm
Hmmm, I just wonder how long they will last

All to often I have seen food / drink based franchises (or company owned) focus too much on getting INSIDE the shopping Centers, where I believe the rents and service charges are far too high for them to make any money. They also restrict their trade until 5 o clock - and the question really is - how many milkshakes can you sell until 5 o clock?

I believe it led to the demise of O'Briens & BB Muffins, and also heard that the Nichols across from this unit led to the end of North East Bakeries (Miligans) last month

When will they learn that they are no McDs or Pizza Hut???

There is a reason that SUBWAY the majority of the time find busy locations and then sit just off them in side streets - as they believe in diverting footfall from the busy area to their shop - where they are sitting nice and comfy on a reasonable rent, probably far less than if they were on the main area only 25/30m away, and they have the option to stay open past 5pm rather than being dictated their opening times by the shopping centre

What are others thoughts on this? It is something I have always felt

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just to add to the above...

The Nichols in Eldon Square which shut down was on a stepped scale rent - 60k in year one, 80k in year two and then 120k in year three. Take year 3, of the 10 year lease, add rates and service charges on top - and you need to be taking AT LEAST circa 4G a week JUST to cover the property costs before a penny even goes through your till! Add the industry standard 30/40% food costs, 20% labour costs - see where I'm going? :bash:

IMO, that is one seriously optimistic business plan......

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
This isnt Newcastle City Retail but the old borders store on the silverlink is to be opened as a HMV, Paperchase, Orange and a Starbucks. This is what I have heard from a friend who was talking to someone who works at a Starbucks in Newcastle.

How this will work in a store of it's size is anybody's guess. We will just have to wait and see to be honest. This is planned for February

·
Registered
970 Posts
This isnt Newcastle City Retail but the old borders store on the silverlink is to be opened as a HMV, Paperchase, Orange and a Starbucks. This is what I have heard from a friend who was talking to someone who works at a Starbucks in Newcastle.

How this will work in a store of it's size is anybody's guess.
We will just have to wait and see to be honest. This is planned for February

Well the last 3 dont use that much space and its not much different to how it was configured in anyways (well the Team Valley one, im guessing it was the same in Silverlink) since you have Borders, Starbucks, Paperchase and Game

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
Shakeaway are opening at Eldon Square in March, they will be opening in the former Lovejuice unit.

http://www.shakeaway.com/subsites/uk/shops.htm
I really think the local comapany Shake"a"holic and the Miishake company in addition to McDonalds and the various Coffee shops have the milksake market coverd. I know many people in this market are loyal to Shake"a"holic aswell, any the others don't seem to be people who have them as often as Shake"a"holic regualrs do, and they will also just go to whereever is nearest to them at the time. So I honestly think this maybe a struggle for them, and maybe not a good move, but it is good to see this unit be taken up.

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts

How this will work in a store of it's size is anybody's guess. We will just have to wait and see to be honest. This is planned for February
Good info, did I guess previuosly that HMV would take up that spot?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
On the subject of Shake"a"holic, a Shake"a"holic 'express' has opened in Haymarket hub, pleased to see another unit taken up.

Also there are signs about saying Eldon Gardens is about to under-go a two month refurbishment. Any ideas as to what this will consist of?

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
On the subject of Shake"a"holic, a Shake"a"holic 'express' has opened in Haymarket hub, pleased to see another unit taken up.

Also there are signs about saying Eldon Gardens is about to under-go a two month refurbishment. Any ideas as to what this will consist of?
Good news about Shake"a"holic, nice to local companies doing well, I'm sure they are franchising now, aswell as currently having 2 in the city centre they also have stores in MC, Boro, Washington and another in Durham I believe. I must admit I am one of their fans. I'm dissapointed to here that the ES Shake"a"holic will close for the Hyamarket Hub one, also I heard that they are opening up in York and Leeds soon, and they apparently have one in France.

I'm pretty sure the Black&White striped cups arn't that popular in Boro and Washington though.

About EG, I'm sure Lebowski said Sony were moving there, and are going to be an anchor store.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Yep Sony have now moved. Today there was people working on the old Sony store, not sure if they were just removing all of the fittings etc or just putting it back to how it was ready for another tenant.

I'm guessing with Sony becoming an anchor store inside they must be going to refurbish the whole of the centre...

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I think the change is basically the Sony Shop is now inside the mall raather than having its entrance on Percy Street- I assume that store is now empty. Personally I think it is a good move. They are also extending (by the looks of it) the cafe that is inside the mall- it was always busy so they are taking up more of the floor space in the mall. As far as that I can't see much else changing. There are some nice little shops in EG- same the footfall is so low and many of the independent retailers fold rather quickly.

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
A little news on the former Borders store in Silverlink, from what I am hearing, though it is unconfirmed as of yet, is that when it opens as an HMV store it will also include a Waterstones concession.

·
Registered
18,047 Posts
^^ No rumor it is confirmed.

Waterstone's takes on Borders' Wallsend concession

Graeme Neill

HMV will open a Waterstone's concession at the site of the former Borders in Silverlink, Wallsend.

A spokesperson for HMV Group was unable to confirm the size of the concession, which will be part of a wider HMV store. He said the rebranded branch will open "within the next few weeks".

The shop has two floors of trading space. It was one of 45 Borders stores that closed following the retailer going into administration in November.
http://www.thebookseller.com/news/108465-waterstones-takes-on-borders-wallsend-concession.html

641 - 660 of 12340 Posts