SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 80 of 11354 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Im glad im not alone in seeing the current incarnation of this thoroughfare as a complete abhorration....seriously, what's the benefit of the current layout? A newsagents, a bagel shop and a kiosk selling watch straps? oh and an impossibly barren alley and a set of almost impassably steep steps to the arse-end of Marks and Spencers. Wonderful!

Though it has driven the Northumberland Arms (literally) underground....thats probably not a bad thing!

·
21,890 Posts
I'm amazed that the only KFC in town is on Grainger Street to be honest. Though with none in Sunderland anymore I'm wondering if they're retreating from the N.East?
There is one at Cowgate, and two at the Metrocentre/Metro Retail Park, and one is about to open at Killingworth Shopping Centre.

My guess is that they are pulling out of City Centres (perhaps) and concentrating on 'out of town' sites, with drive-thru facilities . . .

·
The Legend
13,090 Posts
There is one at Cowgate, and two at the Metrocentre/Metro Retail Park, and one is about to open at Killingworth Shopping Centre.

My guess is that they are pulling out of City Centres (perhaps) and concentrating on 'out of town' sites, with drive-thru facilities . . .
Yeah, I agree with that statement. Although KFC isn't really something I would be botherd about if it moved out of Newcastle altogether, the same generally applies to McDonalds and Burger King.

Though I'm sure I heard that KFC wanted to keep the Northumberland St store open, but the lease holders thought they could get more from elsewhere.

Can you confirm that Lebowski?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Yeah, I agree with that statement. Although KFC isn't really something I would be botherd about if it moved out of Newcastle altogether, the same generally applies to McDonalds and Burger King.

Though I'm sure I heard that KFC wanted to keep the Northumberland St store open, but the lease holders thought they could get more from elsewhere.

Can you confirm that Lebowski?
hmm, not something i'd heard about but its not as simple as the landlord simply 'kicking them out'. For a start theyd need permission for change of use, and without that theyd only be kicking them out for another food retailer. I imagine they obtained permission first (I think these units only have A1/A3 so cant be used as an office/financial premises) then signed up a tenant. Or vice versa, most of that stretch is financial so the change in use was probably a formality.

Anyway KFC proliferates in the outskirts as has been said - Cowgate, Killingworth, Byker, Wallsend all boast a branch....every suburb and satellite town now seems to feature some fried chicken dive, maybe KFC are trying to reclaim what they feel is rightfully theirs!

·
The Legend
13,090 Posts
While i'm on the subject of banks, I couldn't help but notice that Abbey and Allience&Liecester on Northumberland St are very close together, and that next year they and Bradford&Bingley are merging into one bank, Santander. So will their be rules enforced wich will mean that 1 or 2 of the branches will have to close?

I mean, just down the St, at the top of Pilgrim St you also have one of Bradford&Bingleys largest branches, and the Abbey branch on Northumberland St is also fairly large. So I'm assuming that the current Allience&Liecester one would be the one chosen to go if they had to do that.

Then again on 2nd thoughts, maybe they don't, in North Shields you have 2 large Lyods TSB branches only parted by 2 shops, thanks to the merger of the 2 banks.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The Bradford & Bingley branch you mention is currently undergoing a refit and the predominant colours used inside seem to be red and grey which would suggest they'll run it as a B&B for now then simply change the signs over when the rebrand happens.

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
I'm not sure what they'll do short term, but long term I can't see more than one or two of them surviving - along with a number of jobs. It just makes financial sense, why bother merging with another bank if you can't make gains from streamlining? And for the same reason I think we'll see the C&G branch go in the next few years and maybe even Halifax branches plus the Bank of Scotland branch on (I think) Grey St. Again, surely it just makes sense?

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Yeah, I agree with that statement. Although KFC isn't really something I would be botherd about if it moved out of Newcastle altogether, the same generally applies to McDonalds and Burger King.QUOTE]

Ah, but there is a certain something about a McDonald's breakfast if you have to be out and about early (early in my book being pre-10.30). Sausage & egg muffin mean and an extra hash mmmm...

Fried chicken junkies should note that the new place on Darn Crook (where Salaam Bombay used to be) - King Chicken? - is very good imo and also supplies the food on china plates, with proper metal cutlery. There's posh for you!

·
Registered
158 Posts
zara moved because there was not enough storage.
NBS taking KFC unit.
American retailer moving into new eldon square development (probs americal apparel)
urban outfitters were going to go into Monument Mall, mall managers turned down opportunity.
jamie olivers restaurant chain were to go into old eldon square, but has been put on hold.
hood street will not get boss, ralph or d&g. we dont have footfall or retailer requirements.
tommi hilfiger, armani exchange, new era (caps), bose looking for space.
footlocker relocating off northumberland street, probs into eldon square opposite USC.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Yeah, I agree with that statement. Although KFC isn't really something I would be botherd about if it moved out of Newcastle altogether, the same generally applies to McDonalds and Burger King.QUOTE]

Ah, but there is a certain something about a McDonald's breakfast if you have to be out and about early (early in my book being pre-10.30). Sausage & egg muffin mean and an extra hash mmmm...

Fried chicken junkies should note that the new place on Darn Crook (where Salaam Bombay used to be) - King Chicken? - is very good imo and also supplies the food on china plates, with proper metal cutlery. There's posh for you!
I have been there twice - first time it was nice BUT the second time wasnt so nice

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Was pleasantly impressed with Liverpool One when I visited for the first time yesterday; it is large and on the whole reasonably well designed, with a good range of shops, although maybe 25% remained to be let.

·
Registered
782 Posts
NBS taking KFC unit.
American retailer moving into new eldon square development (probs americal apparel)
urban outfitters were going to go into Monument Mall, mall managers turned down opportunity.
jamie olivers restaurant chain were to go into old eldon square, but has been put on hold.
hood street will not get boss, ralph or d&g. we dont have footfall or retailer requirements.
footlocker relocating off northumberland street, probs into eldon square opposite USC.
That's the spirit, don't waste precious column inches on small talk, just give us the facts!! Cheers Shiggy, some interesting rumours there that I hadn't heard before

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Was pleasantly impressed with Liverpool One when I visited for the first time yesterday; it is large and on the whole reasonably well designed, with a good range of shops, although maybe 25% remained to be let.
That's all very well, but what about the alienation of the public realm? Do we want a city for everyone, a city for its citizens, or just for the potential consumers who are all that the new 'owners' of Liverpool One are interested in (and they get their private security guards to move out aanyone who doesn't fit their desired profile)?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
If wonder if the store labelled 'in solicitors' on the ES Lettings Plan is American Apparell / Urban Outfitters then, as thats basically the only store left. However, I wonder what is going to happen with the Poundland / Old Post Office unit and the Topshop unit (girls bit only as the lettings map says Topshop for both upstairs and downstairs in the new mall).

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
That old picture of Prudhoe St makes me sad, theres nothing of significance at all architecturally, but in urban design terms its far superior to what we have now. One of my main issues is that you couldn't walk through there at night; yet the joining section can only be a few metres wide.

felt like andy gray on Sky Sports drwaing all over all the images there lol

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
I hadn't realised the gap was that small. unfortunately it seems to be a service area so not sure it would be possible to punch through the barrier.

·
The Legend
13,090 Posts
NBS taking KFC unit.
If you don;t mind me asking, where does your info come from?

61 - 80 of 11354 Posts