SkyscraperCity banner

11341 - 11360 of 11365 Posts

·
260 Posts
Even the branding exercise was a waste of money IMO which would have been a huge wasted cost. No one is bothered who owns a shopping centre and they take the identity away from the place/region to satisfy their own business, instead of just running a successful business.
Good point.
I particularly dislike how Metrocentre's mall signage was all put in Intu black with yellow edging, and the actual mall colour/identity made barely visible until you're almost beneath it.... if that makes sense?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Good point.
I particularly dislike how Metrocentre's mall signage was all put in Intu black with yellow edging, and the actual mall colour/identity made barely visible until you're almost beneath it.... if that makes sense?
it's crap. I'm not going to the 'Intu', I'm going to the Metrocentre. The old Metrocentre branding was individual, regional and specific. The crap Intu plaster all over the place and other locations is rubbish and does nothing for the attendance.

Give it back its individual identity and differentiate it from the other 'malls'.

·
21,903 Posts
E-Mail I received today from "Fenwick Department Stores" . . .

Temporary closure of all Fenwick Department Stores

As a family business, the health and wellbeing of our customers, our teams and our local communities is always close to our heart and in these times of great uncertainty we need to do the right thing for them by mitigating the potential spread of the coronavirus. We have therefore taken the very difficult decision to temporarily close all Fenwick stores to the public from 6pm on Thursday 19th March 2020, until further notice.

You, our customers, are exceptional and we know you will understand that we have not taken this approach lightly. The doors of Fenwick have been open to customers for almost 140 years - it goes against everything in our nature to close them. But these aren't normal times and we find ourselves in the unique situation where shutting our doors, for the time being, is the right thing to do for our customers, our colleagues and our communities.

For as long as we can, we will continue to operate our digital and social channels including our online store at www.fenwick.co.uk, our Instagram @FenwickOfficial and our Fenwick Stores Facebook page. Please visit these for the latest information and updates.

We thank you for your loyal support and understanding in these exceptional circumstances and look forward to welcoming you back with open arms soon.

Stay safe

All at Fenwick

·
21,903 Posts
Beales Department Stores will all close down permanently on 19th March 2020

All Beales Department Stores are to close earlier than planned due to the impact of coronavirus. The joint administrators of the 139-year-old department store group today confirmed all remaining outlets will cease trading and close on Thursday 19th March 2020.

The news will come as a huge blow to many of the firm’s 1,000 employees who had expected two more weeks of trading, but KPMG’s Will Wright and Steve Absolom said the impact of Covid-19 on the retail environment has meant trading can no longer be supported, and that all stores will shut.

Two of the 23 Beales Department Stores have already closed – Hexham on February 24th, and Great Yarmouth on March 15th.

Read More - https://www.business-live.co.uk/retail-consumer/beales-close-tomorrow-due-coronavirus-17944093?utm_source=businesslive_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=BL_NorthEast_smallteaser_Image_Story3&utm_campaign=north_east_newsletter

·
12,586 Posts

Temporary closure of all Fenwick Department Stores

Stay safe

All at Fenwick
That came completely out of the blue. I know that people who operate businesses in Fenwicks were not consulted.

Beales was 'toast' for some time.

·
Registered
19,664 Posts
Cath Kidston confirms 900 jobs to go as all stores close as firm moves business online

Kath Kidston shutting on Grainger Street later this month. Quite worrying, Starbucks, Patisserie Valerie, Pretty Green, Mmm and Glug all closed in past year and still empty.
Chronicle Live website article from 21/04/20

EXTRACT

Cath Kidston confirms 900 jobs to go as all stores close as firm moves business online

The branch in Newcastle had already closed before the lockdown but the Metrocentre store will now not be reopening

The company's Newcastle store has already been closed since March 15 after it first opened on Grainger Street in November 2012.

However the Metrocentre branch which opened in 2015 will now also be shut down.

Full article on All Cath Kidston stores to close with loss of more than 900 jobs

Picture by myself from Saturday 21/03/20 AM showing view of of the by then closed Cath Kidston Grainger St, Newcastle outlet, next to entrance to the Central Arcade

KEN

·
Registered
19,664 Posts
Granville House, 16 Durham Road, Gateshead, Conversion of existing premises to create 3 No: dwellings in the form of flats - Planning Application

Closure of "Loans 2 Go", Granville House, Durham Rd, Gateshead - pictures 28/04/18

Pictures by myself from Saturday 28/04/18 approx 1330 showing recent closure of "Loans 2 Go", Granville House, Durham Rd, at foot of Granville St, next to Durham Rd Baptist Church, Gateshead

Was for a very long time a branch of Midland Bank and building also houses an office of Thoburns Enforcement Services (Bailiffs)

Sign of the times - going online

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN
Approx 2 years to the day from the above

On Gateshead Council Planning Portal on 04/05/20

EXTRACT

DC/20/00333/FUL

Conversion of existing premises to create 3 No: dwellings in the form of flats which involves the change of use from professional financial services (use class A2) to dwellings (use class C3a)

Granville House 16 Durham Road Gateshead NE8 4EJ

Application Validated - Fri 24 Apr 2020

Status - Awaiting decision

Also posted to Gateshead Developments thread

KEN

·
12,586 Posts
That's two plugs for the 'thoroughly reputable' establishment :).

There's a bit of research out there on the psychology of learning where people can remember phone numbers [or if you prefer just numbers] if you combine them one way and not in others.

Try it - aaaa bbb cccc is way easier to recall than [as above] aaa bbbb ccc and to complicate things because we have learned that mobile numbers are 07 we remember them as 07777 777 777, but it's harder as 0777 777 7777..go figure :).

·
Registered
19,664 Posts
Block & Bottle closes its doors in High Level Parade, Wellington St, Gateshead this weekend as it moves to new home in Heaton, Newcastle

Chronicle Live website article on 15/05/20

EXTRACT

Block & Bottle closes its doors in Gateshead this weekend as it moves to new home in Heaton

The free-range meat and charcuterie store opened its doors under the arches at the Gateshead end of the High Level Bridge in 2017

"At 5pm on Saturday we will close the doors to our Gateshead shop for the last time. It will take us a few days to move everything over, and fingers crossed everything going to plan we will open the doors to our brand new Heaton Road shop on Friday, May 22."

Full article on Block & Bottle closes doors in Gateshead this weekend as it moves to Heaton

KEN

·
12,586 Posts
Ciao to Virgin media on the high street:

Virgin Media to disappear from UK high street

I have to say that as an exceptionally dis satisfied former Virgin media customer the less I see of them the better, I still have the horror of calling them on behalf my my mother occasionally and I [literally] feel my stress levels going orbital.

The only advantage the shops had was that the unbelievably shoddy customer service improved slightly when I made my almost weekly* calls to their 'customer service' [ho ho ho] centres from within the shops.

*our service was so bad we had to have a freeview box and 'mifi' router set up permanently as a backup for the weekly failures [which could last 3 weeks....].

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Ciao to Virgin media on the high street:

Virgin Media to disappear from UK high street

I have to say that as an exceptionally dis satisfied former Virgin media customer the less I see of them the better, I still have the horror of calling them on behalf my my mother occasionally and I [literally] feel my stress levels going orbital.

The only advantage the shops had was that the unbelievably shoddy customer service improved slightly when I made my almost weekly* calls to their 'customer service' [ho ho ho] centres from within the shops.

*our service was so bad we had to have a freeview box and 'mifi' router set up permanently as a backup for the weekly failures [which could last 3 weeks....].
These literal shopfronts for various service providers are going to disappear in one big swoop.

Only shops that provide an actual product that we can interact with, mull over, and 'enjoy the experience' will survive.

People say this is a bad thing. And yes, maybe it is. It's more a legacy of planning in our country, where we zone areas city for this or that, and our 'retail quarters' are dying because their sole function ceases.

In Europe and most other places in the world, we simply stack function on top of each other, each according to who needs frontage (Retail+Leisure), and who needs privacy (Resi), and who needs familiarity but not quite total front (Commerce). This density then re-inforces each function by allowing each to moderate each other, and by driving up numbers of people able to access each.

What's really crap about Eldon Square, beyond the materials, beyond the scale, beyond the ignorance of history, is its monofunction, inward looking dross of consumerism.

Think of how many residences we'd get if Eldon Square was flattened for residential, and retail retained for ground floor frontage only. Think of how much better it would be if everytime we looked up either on Blackett or Percy Street we'd see apartment balconies and windows and not the same looming brown brick mass. It would utterly change Newcastle for the better.

·
12,586 Posts
Think of how much better it would be if everytime we looked up either on Blackett or Percy Street we'd see apartment balconies and windows and not the same looming brown brick mass. It would utterly change Newcastle for the better.
I agree, I work a bit in central and eastern Europe and I love the [often but not always] Habsburg cities with lower floor retail, often very 'local' and 5 or 6 stories of apartments. they figured out the model works more than 120 years ago.

Only shops that provide an actual product that we can interact with, mull over, and 'enjoy the experience' will survive.
There is also a model I've come across in some Japanese leisure [it's a verrrrrry stange market] where you have a significant sporting facility with what look like shops, but they are in fact showrooms, funded by the manufacturer/distributor. They are staffed, offer advice and service - and often a try before you buy. But once you want to buy you re directed to a separate 'supplier'. I don't know if the model is widely used outside of sport, but though it seemed odd it's apparently completely normal.

Someone I know was recently made redundant by a branch [which was a sub-brand] of a significant high street and big box retail company. She was offered the opportunity to redeploy to high street but advised by her manager against it informally because the other high street brand would also be closing in the near future to just leave online and big box.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I agree, I work a bit in central and eastern Europe and I love the [often but not always] Habsburg cities with lower floor retail, often very 'local' and 5 or 6 stories of apartments. they figured out the model works more than 120 years ago.

There is also a model I've come across in some Japanese leisure [it's a verrrrrry stange market] where you have a significant sporting facility with what look like shops, but they are in fact showrooms, funded by the manufacturer/distributor. They are staffed, offer advice and service - and often a try before you buy. But once you want to buy you re directed to a separate 'supplier'. I don't know if the model is widely used outside of sport, but though it seemed odd it's apparently completely normal.

Someone I know was recently made redundant by a branch [which was a sub-brand] of a significant high street and big box retail company. She was offered the opportunity to redeploy to high street but advised by her manager against it informally because the other high street brand would also be closing in the near future to just leave online and big box.

Its been more than 120 years...

This is less of a 'model' and more of a 'default' for human urban existence. We are the exception with our mono-functional zonings. I see it as the flaw of Modernism- whilst wearing its utopian 'there is a simple, final scientific solution to everything' approach, it approached the city as a noun, finite object. But in fact they are verbs, doing, dynamic things. Assign absolutions to any place or subdivisions of a city, it then becomes singly reliant on that absolution working forever and ever.

So our 'retail quarter' deserves to die after all. In its wake, a mixed use, default manner of mixed use can return. Your friend's ordeal matches my observations. Actual retail is going either massive, all encompassing 'Big Box' or multiple tiny units of a more bijou nature, 'Minimal chic' box parkey.

Walking around the Habsburg/ Euro style of city, it is a wonder just how much retail seems to be sustained. The answer really is density. Plentiful supply of ground floor retail units BUT ALSO 1000s of people within ambling distance ensures constant use. Our depopulated centres disallow these constant informal opportunities.

·
12,586 Posts
Yes there's something very civilised, small 'local' bars, small retailers and inevitably a slightly mad shop selling a combination of lingerie, cash registers and electric drills but as you say very local, almost a series of villages.

·
12,586 Posts
Ken has covered this in North sheieds with the plans but also relevant to retail and hotels too:

Plans for a new hotel at Royal Quay's have been revealed and the developer says its an "excellent opportunity".
WD Chatham Ltd is behind plans to build a three storey, 70 room hotel next to the existing Premier Inn.

More: Plans for a new hotel at a North Shields shopping destination have been revealed

They really ought to just get it over with and build another couple there [or houses]. No one in their right mind is going to think crikey I must come and stay at that new hotel so the exciting retail opportunities at Royal Quays are in walking distance.

also in hotels

11341 - 11360 of 11365 Posts