SkyscraperCity Forum banner
12301 - 12320 of 12441 Posts

·
Registered
25,141 Posts
2 High Level Parade, Wellington Street, Gateshead, Change of use from retail to Sui Generis, drinking establishment - Planning Approval

2 High Level Parade, Wellington Street, Gateshead, Change of use from retail to Sui Generis, drinking establishment - Planning Application

Follow up on posts #10705 & 10706, above, in Pubs thread

On Gateshead Council Planning Portal on 11/10/21

EXTRACT

DC/21/00923/COU

Change of use from retail to Sui Generis, drinking establishment

2 High Level Parade Wellington Street Gateshead NE8 2AJ

Application Validated - Wed 22 Sep 2021

Status - Awaiting decision

KEN
On Gateshead Council Planning Portal on 05/12/21 this in respect of above application DC/21/00923/COU

EXTRACT

Decision - Grant

Decision Issued Date - Fri 03 Dec 2021

KEN

·
Registered
25,141 Posts
Fenwick and Barker and Stonehouse launch new store concept in Northumberland St, Newcastle

Chronicle Live website article from 11/12/21

EXTRACT

Fenwick and Barker and Stonehouse launch new store concept in Newcastle

Two North East retail giants, Fenwick and Barker and Stonehouse, have joined forces to create the ultimate shopping destination in Newcastle

Furniture retailer Barker and Stonehouse, based in Stockton, is opening its first store-within-a-store concept in Fenwick’s Newcastle flagship department store and the chain’s Bentalls store in Kingston.

The new Newcastle concept store will have 10,000 sqft of retail space.

Full article on Fenwick and Barker and Stonehouse launch new store concept

Also posted to "Department Stores" thread

KEN

·
Part Time Contributor
43,890 Posts
Throw Back In Time

Spotted this seller in the former premises of Thomas Cook on Northumberland Street, 15th December 2021.

A throw back to the days where it was a regular occurrence to see dodgy perfume sellers in the City Centre. Scam merchants making folk think they are getting a bargain but later to find out its a cheap copy.

·
Registered
25,141 Posts
Start Fitness expansion, 29 - 39 Market Street, Newcastle, External alterations including new shopfront & internal alterations - Planning Approval

Start Fitness expansion, 29 - 39 Market Street, Newcastle, - Planning Application

Planning application associated with the above, from "new 2020" NCC Planning Portal

EXTRACT

Application Reference Number: 2021/0915/01/LBC

Location: 29 - 39 Market Street, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE1 6JE

Proposal: Listed Building Application: External alterations including new shopfront and display of 2 non illuminated fascia signs to 29-31 Market Street, internal alterations to form openings in party walls between 29 and 31, and 31 and 33 Market Street, remove existing concrete blockwork infill sections from structural steel frame, form access steps and ramp to the openings between no 31 and 33 Market Street.

Valid Date: 28-06-2021

Application Status: Pending Consideration

The Market St location in question, my pictures 24/11/19

View attachment 1714804

View attachment 1714821

View attachment 1714824

View attachment 1714829

KEN
On the "new 2020" NCC Planning Portal on 20/12/21 this in respect of the above Application Reference Number: 2021/0915/01/LBC

EXTRACT

Decision Issued Date: 20-12-2021

Decision: Grant Conditionally

KEN

·
Registered
295 Posts
The workmen are in 24 High Bridge (formerly Wace Land - opposite Pleased to Meet You) at the minute, couldn't tell if clearing it out or fitting it out, seemed to have a lot of old chairs in it that could have been from Blake's and there is a Let By sign up

·
14,414 Posts
The workmen are in 24 High Bridge (formerly Wace Land - opposite Pleased to Meet You) at the minute, couldn't tell if clearing it out or fitting it out, seemed to have a lot of old chairs in it that could have been from Blake's and there is a Let By sign up
My understanding is that it's a Blakes extension that's planned

·
14,414 Posts
So USC having what looks to be a real closing down sale

Former home bargains (or similar name) on west side of Clayton at now a very large oriental supermarket..and just when you thought you'd heard it all former furniture store at the corner of Clayton at is to be a slots and bingo. Newcastle is woefully under supplied with these don't you think?

·
Registered
9 Posts
So USC having what looks to be a real closing down sale View attachment 2567621
Just a thought but with Frasers owning the former H&M store building, and also owning the USC store brand maybe its an opportunity to bring USC onto Northumberland Street where it would have much more passing footfall than Princess Square? might be wide of the mark but just an idea.

·
14,414 Posts
Just a thought but with Frasers owning the former H&M store building, and also owning the USC store brand maybe its an opportunity to bring USC onto Northumberland Street where it would have much more passing footfall than Princess Square? might be wide of the mark but just an idea.
The sense is that Ashley owns the whole building so H and M is out and WHS will be out [possibly to the current SD] and that it will become a SD [sorry Frasers :) ] block.

It could be that it will re open in the block facing outwards [H and M ?] or I've wondered where the interface between USC and Flannels product/demographic falls.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The sense is that Ashley owns the whole building so H and M is out and WHS will be out [possibly to the current SD] and that it will become a SD [sorry Frasers :) ] block.

It could be that it will re open in the block facing outwards [H and M ?] or I've wondered where the interface between USC and Flannels product/demographic falls.
I would say the split usually falls this way (for the two major sports retailers), with a slight overlap:

General sports clothing: Sports Direct / JD Sports
Mid range sports casual: USC / Scotts
Higher end designer clothing: Flannels / Tessuti

If I had my crystal ball, I would say USC closes for a short amount of time (with staff transferred to other outlets) until WH Smith moves out and the block can be remodified for a combined Sports Direct / USC like at the Metrocentre.

·
14,414 Posts
I would say the split usually falls this way (for the two major sports retailers), with a slight overlap:

General sports clothing: Sports Direct / JD Sports
Mid range sports casual: USC / Scotts
Higher end designer clothing: Flannels / Tessuti

If I had my crystal ball, I would say USC closes for a short amount of time (with staff transferred to other outlets) until WH Smith moves out and the block can be remodified for a combined Sports Direct / USC like at the Metrocentre.
Yes, TBH I was getting a bit confused with Cruise who were in there before, also an Ashley brand. I remember thinking who in god's name buys Aquascutum from here [and now thing the same of Flannels].

It will be staff transfers or probably with Ashley's model managers transferred and the rest out of the door - combination of zero hours contracts and worked less than 2 years. There's a bin liner, take your stuff.

Would be good if they did something with the ex-Collectables unit, I’ve always thought it was unappealing in footfall terms with having to go down stairs immediately.
They've spent on it with Flannels but I just can't imagine buying some of these premium brands from Ashley. I visited once and the product and demographic seemed to jar.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I wanted a Hugo Boss hoodie a couple of years ago and it was £129.99 everywhere when it came out, even on the Hugo Boss website. However Flannels and House of Fraser were charging £169.99. after a few days later it was then in the sale for £129.99 I thought still up to your old tricks Ashley. Won't buy from any of his shops out of principal due to these kind of tactics.

·
Registered
656 Posts
H&M currently closed in metro centre
Green gyro place next to Wetherspoons have closed
Are they doing a refurb? I went into the Silverlink branch just before Christmas and was very disappointed in the reduction of the menswear. Not sure if it was a tactic but it felt empty and they still had racks of shorts (in December) no thick winter jumpers or slippers to be seen.

12301 - 12320 of 12441 Posts