SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 632 Posts

·
21,969 Posts

The title of this photo is . . .

"Clergy Jubilee Schools Carliol Square Newcastle upon Tyne - 1968. A view of the exterior of the Clergy Jubilee Schools Carliol Square Newcastle upon Tyne taken in 1968"

So, it is the right building, that became the 'Downbeat Club' for a while in the 1960s. It doesn't look too much like a nightclub in this 1968 photo, especially as the 1960s is when it definitely was in use as the Downbeat Club and/or Downbeat Jazz Club.

It may well have closed by 1968 though (and perhaps closed for some time) as most of the references I have to the club, seem to be about the very early 1960s.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
One of the many buildings lost to the East Central Motorway was the John Dobson-designed Clergy Jubilee School. Its claim to fame was that in later years it housed the legendary Downbeat Club.

It was situated just down from what is now For Your Eyes Only, opposite the GPO building. Or more accurately, beneath the southbound fast-lane of the motorway.

There are a handful of pictures of the interior of the club but I've never seen any of its exterior apart from the drawing, above. Does anyone have any photos of the building? I'm not expecting any of it as a club, but I'd still be curious to see what the building that housed it looked like. If it's any help, there was a glazing company on the ground floor for many years (unfortunately I don't know its name).

Many thanks.
Is this the building in Carliol Square Al?

P&T Image Archive, NCC

Cheers
GBDT

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Where was this on Westgate Road, can't work out where it was. It looks like its in the city core, but apart from the carpark on the boulevard dont have a clue.

A photograph taken in 1962 of the Express Hotel on Westgate Road. the photograph shows both the front and the side of the building. Next to the Express Hotel on Westgate Road is a Barber's shop beyond that is Bagnall.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Where was this on Westgate Road, can't work out where it was. It looks like its in the city core, but apart from the carpark on the boulevard dont have a clue.

A photograph taken in 1962 of the Express Hotel on Westgate Road. the photograph shows both the front and the side of the building. Next to the Express Hotel on Westgate Road is a Barber's shop beyond that is Bagnall.
A good clue to where it is (Steve is right) is the classical gate post in the bottom right corner of the building. This is still standing as it belonged to the old Grammar School that existed on the site before either of the later developments.

F

·
Part Time Contributor
43,304 Posts
A good clue to where it is (Steve is right) is the classical gate post in the bottom right corner of the building. This is still standing as it belonged to the old Grammar School that existed on the site before either of the later developments.

F
Some oldham shots taken of the Pillar and Plaque, circa 2000

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
What's the large building in that 1965 photo NH or anyone?

F
It looks a bit like a school, and there was a school called 'The Royal Jubilee School' near there.

I'm not certain, others may know.

Yes NH, it was a school. At the corner of City Road and Jubilee Road. Now the Salvation Army Hostel.

P&T Image Archive, NCC

Cheers
GBDT

·
Part Time Contributor
43,304 Posts
It looks a bit like a school, and there was a school called 'The Royal Jubilee School' near there.

I'm not certain, others may know.
Yes NH, it was the Royal Jubilee School - Salvation Army Hostel is now on that site.

Good write up on the school @ http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=43367 which uses Historical Account of Newcastle-upon-Tyne: Including the Borough of Gateshead by Eneas Mackenzie as a source.

It is a noble, chaste, and substantial building, from a plan furnished by Mr. John Dobson, architect. In its erection, two objects were professedly in view; one to provide the requisite conveniences for the new course of instruction, the other to erect a durable monument of public respect to a venerable monarch in the 50th year of his reign.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,304 Posts

·
Part Time Contributor
43,304 Posts
That looks a bit like the blazer badge of the RGS, though im guessing they use a modernised version. Thats also the school 'motto' if i recall....

Definitely a NUFC badge which is based on the Newcastle Coat of Arms - 'Fortiter Defendit Triumphans' ('Triumphing by Brave Defence') was adopted during the Civil War, following the stubborn defence of the town against the Scots in 1644.

Isn't the RGS motto, Discendo duces (By learning you will lead) ?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Definitely a NUFC badge which is based on the Newcastle Coat of Arms - 'Fortiter Defendit Triumphans' ('Triumphing by Brave Defence') was adopted during the Civil War, following the stubborn defence of the town against the Scots in 1644.

Isn't the RGS motto, Discendo duces (By learning you will lead) ?
Probably, i dont have any connection to the school, other than seeing the blazers around town! I may well be thinking of something entirely different, local history isnt a strength of mine

·
Modern Antiquarian
834 Posts
RGS motto

Probably, i dont have any connection to the school, other than seeing the blazers around town! I may well be thinking of something entirely different, local history isnt a strength of mine
The RGS used the city shield and motto until 1930 when a new coat of arms was granted. The new motto (from 1931) was Discendo duces (from learning you will lead). The crest is still used but not the motto.

More here:
http://oldnovocastrian.blogspot.com/2010/03/school-crest-and-motto.html

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The RGS used the city shield and motto until 1930 when a new coat of arms was granted. The new motto (from 1931) was Discendo duces (from learning you will lead). The crest is still used but not the motto.

More here:
http://oldnovocastrian.blogspot.com/2010/03/school-crest-and-motto.html
Thanks Percy, I also asked a colleague who was an ex-pupil, he doesnt remember the motto but according to him 'Fortiter Defendit Triumphans' was the name of the school song. He then went on a rant about them admitting girl pupils about 15 years too late!

I didnt even know schools had songs....

·
Modern Antiquarian
834 Posts
Thanks Percy, I also asked a colleague who was an ex-pupil, he doesnt remember the motto but according to him 'Fortiter Defendit Triumphans' was the name of the school song. He then went on a rant about them admitting girl pupils about 15 years too late!

Fortiter defendit triumphans was the chorus of the school song (although forty old suspenders drying was regularly substituted):

http://oldnovocastrian.blogspot.com/2009/09/school-song.html

The song was written (1914) before the new school motto was adopted and when the city crest and motto were used.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,304 Posts

We didn't have a school song at Walbottle, we simply had school chants, perhaps that's the difference between Private and State schools :)

Here is the RGS school song courtesy of Wikipedia @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Grammar_School,_Newcastle#The_School_Song

The RGS had a school song, with the following lyrics.
The individuals named in the school song are of historical interest.

Horsley, a merchant venturer bold, Of good Northumbrian strain,
Founded our rule and built our school, In bluff King Harry's reign,
Long shall his name old time defy, Like the castle grim that stands,
Four-square to ev'ry wind that blows, In our stormy northern lands.
Chorus:
Fortiter defendit, fortiter defendit, fortiter defendit triumphans
Fortiter defendit, fortiter defendit, fortiter defendit triumphans
Many a name on the scroll of fame, Is the heritage of our land,
Collingwood and Armstrong, Eldon and Bourne, Akenside, Stowell and Brand,
Strong in their wisdom, wise in their strength, Wielders of sword and of pen,
Far went they forth from the school of the north, That mother and maker of men.
(Chorus)
God speed the school on the shores of the Tyne, That has stood for centuries four,
Bright may the star of her glory shine, Bright as in days of yore,
Pray too that we may worthy be, To tread where our fathers trod,
Bravely to fight for truth and right, For Motherland, King and God.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Not to be left out of the school song stakes St. Cuthbert's Grammar School also had one. I can't find any reference to it on Wiki but the first two lines are etched on my memory for ever:

By the banks of silvery Wear neath proud Dunelm’s towered shrine
Lies the body of our patron hard by Bader’s sage divine

·
Part Time Contributor
43,304 Posts
21 - 40 of 632 Posts