SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 1108 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought we could do with a thread on various student accomodation buildings going up around the place.

Some news in the Chron today about another 250 beds in Ouseburn on Coquet Street http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-evening-chronicle/2009/10/15/more-newcastle-student-flats-set-for-green-light-72703-24937761/

This also goes with the scheme along the road from the Generator Studios/over the railway from the Newcastle Technopole business park which looks massive.

Stick your student res news in here.

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
portland green looks really good, like a proper city extension with blocks and streets. New Bridge street is pretty poor and, more importantly, will be knocking down some nice Georgian houses.

·
Registered
970 Posts
portland green looks really good, like a proper city extension with blocks and streets. New Bridge street is pretty poor and, more importantly, will be knocking down some nice Georgian houses.
Agreed about that - whilst a lot of student accommodation is bland and generic stuff its a shame that some nice buildings have to be knocked down

Portland Green looks good - should make that area of the city vibrant

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
yet more Student Res proposed, this time on Melbourne Street inbetween that huge boxy office building and the newish Staybridge Suites hotel:

Erection of 6/7 storey student hall of residence with 36 student flats and 18 studios providing a total of 230 bedrooms, with ancillary accommodation, 15 car parking spaces and associated landscaping.

Some basic images:

more info here:
http://gisccs013.newcastle.gov.uk/PublicAccess/tdc/DcApplication/application_detailview.aspx?caseno=KQQK9DBSAP000&searchtype=SPEC

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
Hmmm, at least this steps the floors in and out to provide a sense of depth and interest. Although this whole "strip facade with full height windows randomly placed" idea has been done to death, this is a better example of it in my opinion. The (reception?) ground level box feels a little defensive though, but at least there's glazing at ground level.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I was stuck in the usual traffic at the Shieldfield end of Byker Bridge and noticed the steelwork for the student res development opposite the Biscuit Factory shooting up. it must be up to about 6 stories and still rising, does anyone have a pic/link to any render of this, ive yet to see one.

I also have to say kudos to whoever came up with the idea of the murals surrounding this site, they looked stunning when i drove past last week.

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
I was stuck in the usual traffic at the Shieldfield end of Byker Bridge and noticed the steelwork for the student res development opposite the Biscuit Factory shooting up. it must be up to about 6 stories and still rising, does anyone have a pic/link to any render of this, ive yet to see one.

I also have to say kudos to whoever came up with the idea of the murals surrounding this site, they looked stunning when i drove past last week.
what side opposite the biscuit factory? i think there are two schemes on stoddart street, as well as the portland green thingy behind the biscuit factory.

the one on the site of the concrete factory (tyneside minimax) is bog standard and looks like this -

the site directly opposite (winn engineers) that i suspect you are talking about is a huge building of 5 to 8 storeys. It should look something like this -

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
another application submitted in september for yet more student res, this time on Coquet Street. This appears to be the site -

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=coquet+street,+newcastle+upon+tyne,+NE2,+uk&sll=54.973895,-1.594949&sspn=0.011355,0.042272&g=coquet+street,+newcastle+upon+tyne,+NE1,+uk&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Coquet+St&ll=54.974206,-1.594932&spn=0.001419,0.005284&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=54.974272,-1.594715&panoid=Tn3UDuwCdk0r9RZQoHUb5w&cbp=12,36.47,,0,1.62

Application application details - 2009/1091/01/DET | Erection of 4 4/5 storey blocks of student accommodation and conversion of existing building to student accommodation comprising in total 254 bedspaces in 52 clusters plus warden accommodation, landscaping and associated car and cycle parking (following demolition of existing industrial buildings) as amended by plans received 29 and 30 September 2009 | Land At Coquet Street Newcastle upon Tyne

difficult to get get an overall feel for the design from the photomontages but the 3d model does a better job.

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
just to bump this for Biglebowski's attention, can you confirm which one of the schemes it was that you saw under construction?

·
Urban Environmentalist
1,661 Posts
I really hope these developments dont devastate Heaton as a 'student village' as I dont want my flat to plummet in value ::(: Although the community would benefit from being less homogenous, I'm not sure if many people other that students would be willing to put up with the poor state of much of the housing stock on the terraces.

I think Heaton needs some long-term masterplanning as the public realm is awful, with all the untidy front gardens, dingy back lanes and very little open space (except the big parks). Would be great to see some 'pocket parks' in Heaton.

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
I really hope these developments dont devastate Heaton as a 'student village' as I dont want my flat to plummet in value ::(: Although the community would benefit from being less homogenous, I'm not sure if many people other that students would be willing to put up with the poor state of much of the housing stock on the terraces.

I think Heaton needs some long-term masterplanning as the public realm is awful, with all the untidy front gardens, dingy back lanes and very little open space (except the big parks). Would be great to see some 'pocket parks' in Heaton.
i don't think it will hurt Heaton that much. These flats seem to be more for first-years and foreign students and tend to be priced higher than student flats in old terraced housing. as there is a predicted rise in student numbers i don't think anywhere will be 'emptying out' any time soon.

Saying that, places like fenham used to be student hotspots at one time but seem to have dropped off the map a bit.

·
Urban Environmentalist
1,661 Posts
Fenham is a lovely place to live if you look in the right places, but they are slightly outside of 'walking distance' which students do look for.

Arthurs Hill is closer to the uni, but having lived there and witnessing the drug dealing, families fighting on the street, having my car vandalised, kids begging and packs of chavs roaming and attacking people... I can see why the students dont bother these days!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
just to bump this for Biglebowski's attention, can you confirm which one of the schemes it was that you saw under construction?
It was the one on the site directly opposite the Biscuit Factory facing Shieldfield...so i think thats the 'Winn Engineers' site (was it not a paint factory at some point?)

Anyway, that one!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Fenham is a lovely place to live if you look in the right places, but they are slightly outside of 'walking distance' which students do look for.

Arthurs Hill is closer to the uni, but having lived there and witnessing the drug dealing, families fighting on the street, having my car vandalised, kids begging and packs of chavs roaming and attacking people... I can see why the students dont bother these days!
Howay mate its not that bad like

1 - 20 of 1108 Posts