SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 255 Posts

·
The Legend
13,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I thought we could do with this. Our bid to be a host city for the England World Cup bid. So anything that may have an effect on this can be discussed here. Do you think it's a good idea?, how can it be encouraged?, what additional facilities would we need in place?

·
Registered
970 Posts
As others mentioned in that previous thread the reasons against are a bit daft

Firstly because we have been hosting matches for years every other week to full crowds (admittedly the crowds have fallen this season and were a little less than 50,000 last seasons) and dont suffer too much from that. Immediately after the match there is traffic BUT thats to be expected with any ground

Secondly with it being a city centre stadium (the only one amongst the bids if im not mistaken) a lot of people would most likely be staying in or immediately around the city centre so we wont have as much traffic as you would from a newcastle home game

We should never take anything for granted (especially after Liverpool got the Capital Culture ahead of us :nuts: ) BUT i would be shocked if we were not a host city

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
World Cup would give the region £60m boost
STAGING the World Cup on Tyneside would give the region a £60m cash boost. Newcastle Gateshead is set to hand over its final application to be a host city if England is successful in winning the 2018 or 2022 tournaments.

Previous estimates have suggested the economic benefit of having the month-long football festival would be around £25m.

But a fresh study has considered the ways in which the entire region - not just the core of Newcastle Gateshead - would be boosted, as well as the long-term impact on tourism.

And experts say they think as much as £58m could be injected into our economy if World Cup soccer came here.

Andrew Dixon, Chief Executive of the NewcastleGateshead Initiative (NGI), said: “The study suggests what we thought: hosting the 2018 World Cup would be monumental for the entire region.

“It would ensure a significant boost in commercial investment while creating vital jobs and leaving a legacy of culture and sport for generations to come.

“Not only that, but it would bring the best football on the planet to supporters whose passion is second to none and would create a buzzing atmosphere across the twin cities.”

England is bidding to stage the World Cup in 2018 or 2022 and both Newcastle Gateshead and Sunderland want to be host cities.

Candidates need to have at least a 40,000 seater stadium and demonstrate there is widespread public support for their efforts.

Both cities have had two visits from FA officials and will deliver their final bids at Wembley Stadium next week.

The Economic Impact study has been carried out by NGI and states there would be a thoroughfare of more than 500,000 international and domestic visitors to the region.

It suggests 90% of international visitors will stay overnight in Tyne and Wear over an average of four nights, resulting in an estimated total of £44,159,649 being added to the local economy.

And 60% of domestic visitors would come with no matches tickets, with 81% of them visiting the region just for one day and going to one of the fan fest that are proposed.

Mick Henry, leader of Gateshead Council, said: “If successful in the bid to be a host city, Newcastle Gateshead will see more hotel beds in the city, improved transport links and with the on-going development of the Newcastle and Gateshead Quaysides, the twin cities will be a great place to visit.

“This is a very exciting time for Newcastle Gateshead.”

The bid also outlines the legacy that would be left by the tournament.

With a proposed £5m investment into community football, it is hoped that would result in the creation of 150 new teams, 4,500 new coaches, 30,000 new players, new grass pitches and 25 new female officials.

John Shipley, leader of Newcastle City Council, said: “This is about NewcastleGateshead united and the region working together.

“If we are successful the legacy and media profile would transform international awareness of our city for decades to come.”
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-evening-chronicle/2009/11/19/world-cup-would-give-the-region-60m-boost-72703-25206623/

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Les Ferdinand backs Toon World Cup bid
TOON hero Les Ferdinand is the latest to give his backing to moves to bring World Cup football to Tyneside.

Newcastle Gateshead will this week hand over its bid to be a host city in the 2018 or 2022 tournaments.

England is in the running to stage the soccer spectacular and will reveal which cities will be included in its application to FIFA next month.

On Thursday, both Newcastle Gateshead and neighbours Sunderland will deliver bid documents to the Football Association at Wembley Stadium.

They will be backed by a host of North East celebrities, who all want to see the tournament come to the region.

Now, former Magpies striker Ferdinand has given his support to the campaign.

He told the Chronicle: “Newcastle supporters are second to none.

“If anyone deserves to have the World Cup in their city it is them.”

Last week we told how the North East would get a £60m cash boost if it was held here.

Four teams would play group games at St James’ Park, with a series of fan fests set up for visiting supporters.

Bid leaders on Tyneside have already hosted two delegations of FA inspectors, who were shown around the fan fest sites and the hotels for supporters and Fifa officials.

Training camps across the region – Northumberland, Tyneside, County Durham and Teesside – would be offered to sides competing in the tournament.

To be a host city, locations must have at least a 40,000-seater stadium and demonstrate they have strong transport links and widespread public support. During the bid process, a wide range of individuals and organisations have given their backing.

As well as ex-England ace Ferdinand, Newcastle United Women’s Football Club also got on board, taking a break from training to wave Back the Bid scarves.

It is hoped hosting the World Cup will also leave a significant legacy, with £5m investment into community football, resulting in the creation of 150 new teams, 4,500 new coaches, 30,000 new players, new grass pitches and 25 new female officials.
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-evening-chronicle/2009/11/23/les-ferdinand-backs-toon-world-cup-bid-72703-25231752/

I don't think it can be emphasised enough just how big this would be for the whole of Tyneside and the wider region!

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Agreed. Though I have a suspicion England will not win the bid. Didn't help that our campaigners sent posh handbags to the wives of the voting panel.

·
The Legend
13,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The bid will be cut down to between 10-12 cities tomorrow.

Good luck Newcastle, and for that matter, Sunderland.

Though not at the expense of Newcastle.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
The bid will be cut down to between 10-12 cities tomorrow.
how many eventually get chosen?

I think it is 100% nailed on that at least one of newcastle or sunderland will get picked, maybe even both. so newcastle itself is guaranteed a boost of visitors to its airport, train station, hotels etc.

·
The Legend
13,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
how many eventually get chosen?

I think it is 100% nailed on that at least one of newcastle or sunderland will get picked, maybe even both. so newcastle itself is guaranteed a boost of visitors to its airport, train station, hotels etc.
I think a totall of 10 gets chosen.

On the main Wolrd Cup thread it has been said that it will be cut down to 12 this month, however SSN (Sky Sports News) has just said that it will be cut down to 10 or so tomorrow.

So I am assuming it will be cut down to 12, because the final names of the cities that will be involved in the final bid will be decided in December.

Also, the Liverpool bid has just been dealt a blow, as Everton's new ground has just been rejected planning permission, and nothing concrete has been said about Liverpool's new ground either. It's thought that Liverpool's bid relies on a new stadium being built, even if they already have atleast one of Europes best stadia.

For the record, Portsmouth has already withdrawn it's bid, and I think the 2 cities that will leave this bid in December will easily be recognizable, as someone like, Hull, Liecester, Derby or Nottingham.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Without a new stadium Liverpool WILL have to be included in any bid the city and for that matter is one of the most famous in the football world. Anfield is 40k+ already so Liverpool will not be left out.

The announcement of the cities is announced on 16th December by the way.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I don't think we would see Nottingham left out. I still have worries that Newcastle and Sunderland are too close together and therefore might not be both be included.

Sunderland would be included if it simply went on football stadium, but in terms of city/ england experience the bid (as well as Milton Keynes!!) has to be one of the poorest bids especially as the city is having to use many facilties many miles away. My understanding is that it is a host city and not host region (although the backing of the whole region is important).

I dread the day if sunderland doesnt get included and newcastle does- the chip on the mackems sholder will be even bigger than it is now!

·
Super Moderator
22,621 Posts
I don't think we would see Nottingham left out. I still have worries that Newcastle and Sunderland are too close together and therefore might not be both be included.

Sunderland would be included if it simply went on football stadium, but in terms of city/ england experience the bid (as well as Milton Keynes!!) has to be one of the poorest bids especially as the city is having to use many facilties many miles away. My understanding is that it is a host city and not host region (although the backing of the whole region is important).

I dread the day if sunderland doesnt get included and newcastle does- the chip on the mackems sholder will be even bigger than it is now!
I have felt, for the last 10 years or so, that St James' Park was just about the best/largest etc, stadium in the UK.

The Sunderland stadium is ok, and a lot better than Roker Park, but is nothing particularly special . . a bit like Middlesbroughs and quite a few others.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I've read the bid document this morning (which is a bulky folder) and thought the offer was impressive. I don't really think Sunderland can match it, but I agree that it is unlikely that both will get through, particularly as the Sunderland bid will almost certainly have to utilise a lot of Newcastle infrastructure.

Will comment in more detail in due course but don't want to elaborate until we know whether we're in or we're out.

1 - 20 of 255 Posts