SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MP
8,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More than a year ago, in April 2009, I visited Newcastle. I found it a really interesting, very beautiful city, with attractive contrasts and good new architecture. I published my photos earlier on the Dutch forum, but after they disappeared from the internet a few months ago (no flickr involved, my own mistake) I restored them today. A good day to publish them in the international showcase as well! :cheers:

I arrived by metro (the car was parked outside the city cente). In Newcastle, the metro is ready for the next Roman invasion!

From the metrostation I walked through the innercity tot the railway station.

St. John's.

Nice contrasts.

The railway station is one of the oldest of the world and still very beautiful.

The catholic cathedral.

A Chinese arch and the building of some local football club ;)

apparently missing :D

Newcastle really is a city of contrasts.

The English cathedral.

Railwaybridges - the railway leads trough the old catle that once was new enough to give the city its name.

Bridges over river Tyne.

Wonderful modern architecture.

An old mill, and, again, bridges. They like bridges in Newcastle.

Newcastle has a fine metronetwork that brought me tot the mouth of the river Tyne. With a metro ticket you can use the ferry over the Tyne and enjoy the harbours, the river, the sea...

Thanks for watching :)

·
The Legend
13,172 Posts
I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Newcastle. I have came across your thread in the Dutch side of SSC and when I get more time I plan on translating the posts to see what people think of my city.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Great pics. I've said it before but Newcastle is a great city and very under-rated in the UK.

There is so much to see from the buzzing quayside with it's fantastic bridges, to the wonderful 19th century architecture along Grey Street. The nightlife is great and the people are lovely, very friendly.

If you get the chance to visit, don't pass it by!

·
22,076 Posts
Some excellent photos there!

Next time you're here, take a few photos around the Grey Street area. Grey Street is our 'best' City Centre street, I think you would love the architecture!

·
MP
8,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^ Grey Street, I have seen pictures of it. Looks like a well-preserved classicist street. I think I like the contrasts more, but the next time I visit Newcastle I will go to Grey Street for sure :)

·
מיץ תפוז
1,536 Posts
You've made an excellent work with these pics :eek:kay:. I'm glad i'm able to enjoy to look at those beautiful old buldings, although i can't explain myself why do they use ruined houses as parking lots or what happened to those houses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts