SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Newcastle Chronicle Ltd - A 1930s Tour of the Chronicle's old Westgate Road HQ

The 'Newcastle Chronicle Ltd in the 1930s' series, is a series of posts originally published on the Historic Newcastle thread.

Copies of these posts remain on there, quite correctly as that is where many people know them to be . . . so why have a separate thread for them now?

What I am trying to achieve by this is to facilitate future users of our forum . . . who are using the forum for "research" purposes.

That is happening a lot now, as the volume of our factual content on here has grown.

While there is the search function and the INDEX thread, where these posts can be traced from, it will make it a great deal easier for future users/researchers (who have found us from Google etc) to find the "full series" if they have their own NAMED thread.

This principal applies to any definitive subject (usually where there is a 'series about a subject') that originally appears within a much longer and larger thread.

There will be other times and situations where a subsequent 'stand alone copy-thread' could be a useful tool to have!

·
Super Moderator
22,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Newcastle Chronicle Ltd
How a Major Newspaper was produced in the 1930s.

Part 1 - 'Introduction' and 'The Front Office'.

One of the treasured items my father left me, is a collection of 'prints' from the 1930s, that show (in great detail) in a series of internal photos taken all around the various rooms in the Chronicle Building, just how the Newcastle Chronicle was produced in those long-ago days. I don't know where he got them from, I think they may originally have been part of a book or booklet from the time.

I remembered that they described 'life' in the Chronicle Offices on Westgate Road, in great detail, revealing all the different aspects and procedures involved in producing our famous Newcastle Newspapers, back in the 1930s.

They show very rare PHOTOS of all the various locations and departments within the building, showing all the 'complex' processes involved in producing a newspaper in those days, as well as revealing all the various publications that used to come out of there at that time.

When I finally found them, I found that there are quite a lot of them, so it will take a few weeks and months to show them all, but I hope you find them interesting.

They give a unique and very detailed insight (as the photos will eventually show) into an important organisation in the history of Newcastle, as well as (I would imagine) being of some interest to anyone specifically interested in the history of newspaper production in the UK.

SO, here is 'Part One' of my fathers NEWCASTLE CHRONICLE LTD COLLECTION . . .

And here is the first of the rare photos, taken inside one of the many departments (the 'Front Office', in this case) of the old Chronicle Building.

Notice - on the right hand side of the 'Front Office' in this photo, near the ceiling you can see (from the inside) those same tall and 'curved at the top' ground floor windows, that can be seen so clearly from the outside, in the photos from funky and others, in the earlier part of this post . . .

·
Super Moderator
22,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Newcastle Chronicle Ltd

Part 2 - 'The Reporters Room' and 'The Making of a Newspaper'.

Just look at this room, and IMAGINE how different it is today!!

Part of the collection is actually a couple of pages of narrative about the History of the Newcastle Evening Chronicle and its predecessors (as at the 1930s) . . .

·
Super Moderator
22,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Newcastle Chronicle Ltd

Part 8 - 'The Despatch, Transport, Circulation & Excursion Departments'.

NOW, although the below photo was taken some years later (in the early 1960s) it shows very clearly what the outside of the building, in the 'Despatch Area' at the back of the building on Rosemary Lane, would have been like back then . . .

·
Super Moderator
22,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Newcastle Chronicle Ltd

Part 9 - 'Editorial & Works Entrance, Directors Lounge, Chronicle Hall, Canteen, Chronicle Club'.

·
Super Moderator
22,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Newcastle Chronicle Ltd

Part 10 - 'Bookkeeping, Insurance, Leader Writers, Artists/Cartoonists, and finally 'Some Interesting Facts''.

and finally . . .

·
Super Moderator
22,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Newcastle Chronicle Ltd

Part 11 - The FINAL part : "What happened 30 years later, in 1965".

I am sorry to have to say that the very last of the old 1930s prints from inside the Westgate Road offices of the 'Newcastle Chronicle Ltd', were shown last week, in Part 10.

However, thanks to an amazing 'Christmas Card' sent to my parents from someone who worked at the Chronicle, in 1965, and a newspaper article from that same year, I can show what happened to the Chronicle offices that year, thirty years after the photos in parts 1 to 10 of this series.

It shows that, in 1965, the move from the 'old place' at Westgate Road to 'new' modern offices in the Groat Market, was seen as a VERY GOOD THING.

Myself, I (looking back on it now) feel just a tinge of regret at what was lost by that move. I hope that others may agree with me, after experiencing the "inside tour" of the old Westgate Road building, in parts 1 to 10 of this series. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed that tour!!

So, here are the events of 1965, as described that actual year . . .

A 'Journal' article, from Monday May 3rd 1965 . . .

Narrative (from above) ENLARGED, for ease of reading . . .

·
Part Time Contributor
43,331 Posts
Your Chronicle Now and then

Courtesy of today's Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/your-chronicle-now-and-then-6497525

Your Chronicle Now and then

By Michael Brown - 11th January 2014

Pages from a publication put out by The Journal, Evening Chronicle and Sunday Sun in 1965 to celebrate the opening of the new Thomson House

In 1965 the then Evening Chronicle moved into its new home on Newcastle’s Groat Market.

To mark the move a commemorative booklet was produced. Here Michael Brown takes a look back at the Chronicle, Journal and Sunday Sun’s Thomson House home, which almost 40 years on still combine “a long history of their own but which are yet as modern as tomorrow.”

“This is Thomson House, which has history around it and also in its very fibre. It thirsts for, and strides towards, tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow....”

It is mantra which was true nearly 40 years ago and still is today. And while a few of the methods and practices may have changed, the ethos put forth back then still holds true.

The book continues: “The news of the North and of the whole world pours in night and day.

“By telephones from our reporter ‘out on a story’ at Consett or Carlisle, Benton or Berwick.

“By radio from the correspondent in Cairo or Connecticut, Berlin or Bangkok.

“The pictures too, flow in. Staff men bring back their shorts from the big fire or the bazaar at the local church hall and meanwhile pictures from all the world’s news-fronts are being radioed in to Thomson House.

“It is all channelled here. From this point all the news and pictures are brought into line to go into the paper.

“The searching is over. The mechanics of it all begin here.

“But that is only to say that we now get down to the realities, the harsh facts of newspaper life. The excitement, the urgency never let up.”

The face of newspapers has changed a lot since the 1960s. News does still pour into Thomson House night and day, with reporters out on stories, and while we may no longer be able to boast dedicated correspondents for such far flung places as Cairo – global affairs wing their way across the wire services via the internet, ready to keep you up-to-date with the latest happenings.

And though the urgency of multiple print editions may be gone, in the modern digital age that excitement of bringing you the news first is more pressing than ever.

Read more and see image gallery @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/your-chronicle-now-and-then-6497525

·
Registered
573 Posts
A different world back then. My old man for family reasons came back to the North East from Fleet Street and for a time worked there before moving on a year or so later to the telly.

I always thought it was Thomson House he worked at, but having read that, it can't have been as he was there I guess in 1962 ish.

Anyway, he put his Fleet Street mark on the reporters - kicking arses that needed kicking apparently. I am not sure what paper it was.

One reporter refused a story - because it was his home time. Not an appropriate answer to give my old man. I think he may have been given what we now call a "performance review."

·
Super Moderator
22,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
September 14th 2010.

Newcastle Chronicle Ltd

Part 11 - The FINAL part : What happened 30 years later in 1965 - The move to Thomson House.

In 1965, the move from the 'old place' at Westgate Road to 'new modern' offices in the Groat Market, was seen as a VERY GOOD THING.

Myself, I (looking back on it now) feel just a tinge of regret at what was lost by that move.

So, here are the events of 1965, as described that actual year . . .

Further to the above account (from earlier in this thread, from my Parents Christmas Card) of the 1965 move, below are some pages from a publication printed by The Journal, Evening Chronicle and Sunday Sun in 1965, to celebrate the opening of the new Thomson House . . .

Part One of the 1965 Publication . . .

Source - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/your-chronicle-now-and-then-6497525

1 - 20 of 25 Posts