SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 960 Posts

·
Letting off the happiness
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It would be good to see another cinema in Newcastle (well Gateshead but you know what I mean) city centre though. The Empire is overrated, too expensive and in desperate need of competition (the last few times I've been they haven't even opened the ticket booths so you've had to queue for 20 minutes at the ice cream shop for tickets!). I won't be holding my breath though!

·
Registered
298 Posts
It would be good to see another cinema in Newcastle (well Gateshead but you know what I mean) city centre though. The Empire is overrated, too expensive and in desperate need of competition (the last few times I've been they haven't even opened the ticket booths so you've had to queue for 20 minutes at the ice cream shop for tickets!). I won't be holding my breath though!
Completely agree, the Empire is a very poor cinema. However I can't see any more cinemas coming any time soon with the new Odeon at the MetroCentre opening soon plus the existing ones in Boldon and Silverlink, as well as the Tyneside.

·
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Completely agree, the Empire is a very poor cinema. However I can't see any more cinemas coming any time soon with the new Odeon at the MetroCentre opening soon plus the existing ones in Boldon and Silverlink, as well as the Tyneside.
As a non-driver I only really have access to the Empire and Tyneside. The Tyneside is a cracking cinema but unfortunetely by it's nature doesn't show all the films you might want to see. I agree it's unlikely we'll see another cinema in the city centre area but it's a shame because for a new cinema the Empire really is awful.

·
Registered
298 Posts
As a non-driver I only really have access to the Empire and Tyneside. The Tyneside is a cracking cinema but unfortunetely by it's nature doesn't show all the films you might want to see. I agree it's unlikely we'll see another cinema in the city centre area but it's a shame because for a new cinema the Empire really is awful.
I know we're going way off topic here but I'm a huge fan of the Tyneside. Like you say they show more independent films but they do have a decent amount of 'big' films on too. I'd always pick there over the Empire.

Speaking of the Empire, in order to make the whole place even worse they've introduced allocated seats. Would be fine in practice but often the staff don't ask you where you'd like to sit and you end up with about 3 packed rows in the middle with everyone squashed in and 10 empty rows in front and behind.

·
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know we're going way off topic here but I'm a huge fan of the Tyneside. Like you say they show more independent films but they do have a decent amount of 'big' films on too. I'd always pick there over the Empire.

Speaking of the Empire, in order to make the whole place even worse they've introduced allocated seats. Would be fine in practice but often the staff don't ask you where you'd like to sit and you end up with about 3 packed rows in the middle with everyone squashed in and 10 empty rows in front and behind.
I agree, I am a massive fan of the Tyneside, it's even better since it's refurb and is up there with the very best arthouse cinemas in the country (if not Europe). Worried that the last few times I've been there has been no trailers or adverts before the films though, hope they're not struggling for advertising revenues in these times?

The Empire is a total disgrace of the cinema, like you say allocated seats when it's totally not needed. Considering how young it is the screens and facilities aren't very good either. The AMC and Printworks in Manchester are both older cinemas (though the same City Centre Multiplex concept) and both have bigger screens, fixed chairs (as opposed to our tip ups) that are far more comfy and larger than ours. They're also both much cheaper and open later. As I said before too the Empire has started not even opening it's ticket booths so you have to queue at the food concession for tickets, resulting in long queues. Surely it must put people off buying refreshments too, shows theyre either on their knees or have an idiot in charge as they must be losing more than the cost of 1 person's wages on minimum wage from lost food alone. :bash:

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
I agree, I am a massive fan of the Tyneside, it's even better since it's refurb and is up there with the very best arthouse cinemas in the country (if not Europe). Worried that the last few times I've been there has been no trailers or adverts before the films though, hope they're not struggling for advertising revenues in these times?

The Empire is a total disgrace of the cinema, like you say allocated seats when it's totally not needed. Considering how young it is the screens and facilities aren't very good either. The AMC and Printworks in Manchester are both older cinemas (though the same City Centre Multiplex concept) and both have bigger screens, fixed chairs (as opposed to our tip ups) that are far more comfy and larger than ours. They're also both much cheaper and open later. As I said before too the Empire has started not even opening it's ticket booths so you have to queue at the food concession for tickets, resulting in long queues. Surely it must put people off buying refreshments too, shows theyre either on their knees or have an idiot in charge as they must be losing more than the cost of 1 person's wages on minimum wage from lost food alone. :bash:
The Empire in the Gate is a shambles. I've had the exact same experience as you, having to buy movie tickets at the pick and mix counter and having allocated seating. TBH I think it is in a poor location hidden on the top floor of a mall, so probably isnt that busy. But is is counterproductive to try and cut back and save money - it just makes the service crap and drives business away.

Anyway, I'd really like for a cinema to open on Gateshead Quays, there's more space there so it could be a proper multiplex. The gate cinema is a planning failure imo.

·
Registered
298 Posts
After going slightly off topic on the gateshead Quays thread, I thought it'd be a good idea to have this as a dedicated thread to the cinemas in the area, as well as throwing in other events too.

I'll start with the Empire Newcastle, after discussing how bad it is in the above thread I've have another bad experience. I went last week looking to see the film Triangle, it was only on twice a day, one at 3pm and once around 9pm.

Given they'd reduced to just 2 showings despite it only being released the week before I thought it'd be pretty empty. How wrong I was, after queueing for what seemed like a lifetime (while everyone bought huge tubs of popcorn and overpriced nachos) they told me it was in the smallest screen and had sold out!

The guy was friendly enough and tried to tell me of some alternative films but there was little else that interested me, they were showing Michael Jackson's film 11 times a day which meant little room for any other films.

Since this incident I've learned something pretty interesting from a friend who is 'in' at the cinema. Apparently, despite the place being packed when I went, they're not doing too well financially and are trying to make cutbacks where they can, most recently I was told staff have had the amount of free films they get to see cut down a lot.

That would add up with our suspicions in the original thread where we talked about them closing the box office for large parts of the day to save money.

NB - The mentioned 'off-topic' posts on the Gateshead Quays thread, have now been merged (see posts 1 to 8) into this thread.

·
The Legend
13,176 Posts
To be honest, I have never liked the Empire in the Gate. I don't know why. I just don't like how small it is, how crowded it is, the popcorn tastes horrible, and honestly, Cinema prices have always been high, but they are just grtting out of hand now. In all honesty I'm not a fan of the Gate, seems to be full of all you can eat bland food resturants, bars and the well known have a resturant located on every corner brands like Pizza Hut. The building it'self isn't too bad. I just don't like what it has to offer inside. Back to the Empire, it's too small, Newcastle needs a bigger cinema, when you think that most people from Northumberland and even large number of people from North Tyneside despite having Silverlink also use it. Empire though have been in debt since they formed, which only formed because of the merger of Odeon and UCI, (both of whom I actually liked) maybe now the debt is showing to be uncontrolable. I imgine they would of got a fair bit of money on Haloween though, with the all night cinema showings, I went to it last year and they only planned on having 1 screen, but had to put on 3, and they decided to do it again this year despite them planning on it being a one off.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Echo the comments about the Empire at The Gate - i try to avoid going there since its not very good, much prefer the Odeon at the Metrocentre (the new one should be even better)

·
Registered
298 Posts
I imgine they would of got a fair bit of money on Haloween though, with the all night cinema showings, I went to it last year and they only planned on having 1 screen, but had to put on 3, and they decided to do it again this year despite them planning on it being a one off.
I believe it was extended to 3 screens again this year.

Echo the comments about the Empire at The Gate - i try to avoid going there since its not very good, much prefer the Odeon at the Metrocentre (the new one should be even better)
I'm not a fan of the current Odeon at the MetroCentre, the sloping seating system isn't great and it takes a long time to get home if you're seeing a film on an evening.

I've got great hopes for the new one they're building, hopefully it'll live up to my expectations and I'll be able to ditch the Empire permanently and just stick to that and the Tyneside.

·
The Legend
13,176 Posts
Bring back the Cannon in Monkseaton I say!!!!!

Happy days!!!
I remember that, it was on the roundabout, a block of flats there now. Silverlink put that in the grave.

No matter whathappens, I WILL NOT use the Metrocentre. I think my hatred of the place has already been expressed here, so no need for me to say it again.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I remember that, it was on the roundabout, a block of flats there now. Silverlink put that in the grave.

No matter whathappens, I WILL NOT use the Metrocentre. I think my hatred of the place has already been expressed here, so no need for me to say it again.
Yeah the Cannon was a fantastic place tbh. Really good memories for me as pretty much all my chidhood experiences of a cinema were at the Cannon aswell as the odd occasion at the Whitley Bay Playhouse. The Cannon was a great little place, One huge screen with seats that went on for ever!!!, and one small and compact screen. Great stuff. My best mates Grandad was the projectionist so we used to get in free and even sometimes sit up with him amongst all the reels!!

You're right, the Silverlink killed it which is a shame but if you look at the flats there today, they pay tribute to the Cannon with the way they curve round the corner and with the shape of the roof.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
It's a huge shame that neighbourhood cinemas couldn't survive here. When I was a student in Leeds in the late 70s/early 80s there were at least two small cinemas in Headingley catering for locals and (largely) students - the Hyde Park and the Cottage Road, neither particularly arthouse. I know the Hyde Park is still going (don't know about the Cottage Road) and if that could survive, how come the Jesmond Cinema, in an equally studenty area - and with the advantage of being adjacent to the Metro station - couldn't?

·
Super Moderator
22,097 Posts
It's a huge shame that neighbourhood cinemas couldn't survive here. When I was a student in Leeds in the late 70s/early 80s there were at least two small cinemas in Headingley catering for locals and (largely) students - the Hyde Park and the Cottage Road, neither particularly arthouse. I know the Hyde Park is still going (don't know about the Cottage Road) and if that could survive, how come the Jesmond Cinema, in an equally studenty area - and with the advantage of being adjacent to the Metro station - couldn't?
In Newcastle I think the two main suburban cinemas that survived into the mid/late 80s were the Royalty and the Jesmond. There was also the Apollo on Shields Road into the 70's (possibly early 80s) but I can't remember when it closed.

Anyway, there's none now . . unless you call 'Silverlink' a suburb!! (nearly, but not quite!)

·
Super Moderator
22,097 Posts
I have included the below out of interest, about (primarily) Newcastle CINEMAS. This is how the daily list of adverts looked in the Chronicle every night, throughout the 60s/70s era.

In case this thread is really only intended for "nowadays" discussions, I have also included this in the Historic Newcastle thread. I just came across this today, when I was searching for something else entirely!

1 - 20 of 960 Posts