SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 80 of 1350 Posts

·
The Real Robin Hood
549 Posts
The control tower, or The Emirates Tower (to give it it's proper name) has opened for business. Story.

Saw it on the news, it's looking good. I personally like the lattice work and exposed core. It's the most technologically advanced control tower in the country, and apparently has views reaching the coast. That's a long way lol
Told you so ;)

·
The Real Robin Hood
549 Posts
^^ That would be great if you could :lol: and it wasn't a prediction I somehow get to know a lot of things in the Newcastle area ;) :lol:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The control tower, or The Emirates Tower (to give it it's proper name) has opened for business. Story.

Saw it on the news, it's looking good. I personally like the lattice work and exposed core. It's the most technologically advanced control tower in the country, and apparently has views reaching the coast. That's a long way lol.

Great news that there is growing hope for a New York service. If Newcastle could have both, then the airport will have a huge boost, more so than it is having already. It's a shame the same isn't happening in the city. Why can't we have cutting edge new buildings there for god sakes!?!

Anyway, hopefully this will be two way, and we will have alot more visitors coming from the east... We could do with some of their creativity in Newcastle.

It's all looking up for our airport.
Indeed!, great times at the airport!

Its great to see the beautifull Emarites Airbus A330 and it would be even greater to see a nice shiny silver American Airlines (737 probably) landing from New York!!

btw, im not too keen on the exposed bottom to the tower!

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
from the Chronicle

Airport to try and attract new airlines with speed dating

Sep 21 2007 by Nick Whitten, Evening Chronicle

AIRPORT management will be seducing airlines to bring new flights to Tyneside.

Newcastle International Airport chiefs are going aviation speed dating to win new routes for the region.

They are heading to Stockholm in Sweden for the annual World Routes Development Forum where they will have a series of meetings with airlines.

Hundreds of airports and airlines attend the conference – which runs from Monday to Wednesday next week – and Newcastle Airport has lined up meetings with 25 airlines. They will have 20 minutes with each to see if they can persuade them to fly out of Tyneside. Their priority is to secure a transatlantic service and they hope to start the ball rolling for a direct scheduled flight to New York. And their trump card could be a little help from Newcastle Brown Ale, who have supplied the airport with some Broon to give out at the conference.

It could be a tactic to impress the US carriers, with Newcastle Brown Ale being the number one imported beer in America.

Chris Sanders, head of aviation development at Newcastle, is leading the airport team, and he said: “In the airline industry, this event is a bit like speed dating, not that I have ever had the pleasure of that. But it is about sparking an initial attraction and hoping to make an airline interested in starting a new route.

“Having secured Emirates and their routes to the Far East last time, New York is the target for us.”

Supporting the airport in Sweden will be One NorthEast and NewcastleGateshead Initiative, and Tom Warburton, head of regeneration at One North East, said: “We are working with Newcastle and Durham Tees Valley airports to attract new routes”.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Flybe to the Toon

Jan 30 2008

by Adam Jupp, Evening Chronicle

MORE than 1,000 jobs are set to be created as an airline jets into Toon.

Europe’s largest regional carrier Flybe is setting up a base at Newcastle International Airport.

It is today set to announce three new routes to London Gatwick, Aberdeen, and the French town of Rennes.

And services to other of continental cities, including Stuttgart and Frankfurt in Germany, as well destinations across Scandinavia, are set to follow in the next 18 months.

Dunston-born Mike Rutter, Flybe’s chief commercial officer, said: “We are delighted to announce new Flybe routes to Gatwick, Aberdeen and Rennes.

“On top of that, we will bring to the airport over the next 18 months brand new routes to Scandinavia, routes to Frankfurt, Stuttgart and we will also bring a further range of French regional routes, as well as extending services to places like Brussels.”

Mr Rutter, who also plans to name an aircraft after Kevin Keegan, added: “We are Europe’s largest airline and it always galled me, being a Geordie, that we didn’t have a major base on Tyneside. Now, by announcing these routes, we have the anchor to create that and take it one step further in the region. I can personally say I am well chuffed.

“It is a massive boost to the economy of the North East and also provides safeguards for tourism and inward investment and the move to create an HQ in Newcastle creates jobs. The establishment of a base at Newcastle will itself create 125 jobs and when we hit our passenger target of one million in the next two years, that will support 1,000 jobs.

“In the long-term we will see the creation of highly skilled jobs like pilots, along with cabin crew and engineering staff and then there will be knock-on jobs in support services, ground handling and so on.”

Jet2.com currently operates the Newcastle to Gatwick route, but Flybe will take over the three daily flights to Gatwick, as well as adding the new services to Aberdeen and Rennes. The three routes add to those already running to Jersey, Southampton, Exeter, Limoges, Belfast and Cardiff.

The Aberdeen service will be six days a week, starting in March, while flights to Rennes will start in May and will be summer-only.

The arrival of Flybe, which also plans to set up a business lounge, is a coup for Newcastle Airport’s new chief executive Dave Laws.

He said: “Attracting Flybe was one of our strategic objectives for 2008, so to have achieved it so early on in the year is fantastic.

“In terms of their products domestically and in Europe, I think the airline will go down a storm in the region. What we need to do now is work with them to bring aircraft to the airport and get additional routes.

“It will create jobs for the region, which is good news, and from an environmental perspective, Flybe is a very very good airline.”

Flybe prides itself on being one of the most environmentally friendly operators in the world.

It has bases at Birmingham, Southampton, Belfast, Channel Islands, Edinburgh and Glasgow and runs 157 routes to 12 different countries. Flybe dealt with seven and a half million passengers last year.

Stacy Hall, One NorthEast director of communications and tourism, said: “Flybe is another internationally-recognised brand and its arrival is further recognition of North East England’s success at attracting inward investment.”

Graham Eastwood, regional industrial organiser for the T&G Section of Unite said: “As far as we are concerned, this is welcome news.

“Flybe have been an important part of the growth of Newcastle airport and we are delighted they have seen the reliability of the workforce at Newcastle and that it wants to invest further in the airport in terms of additional routes.”

Jet2.com will cease flying between Newcastle and London Gatwick on March 29 and all passengers booked on this service from March 30 can transfer to Flybe at no additional cost

S

·
0 Posts
Used it a couple of times and it always seemed well used, shame they dropped it because I quite fancied going back to Berlin in the summer. Now I'll have to use HLX/TUI and fly to Hannover and do the rest of the journey by train.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Great news about Flybe:)

Still waiting on news about the American route though. We have our gateway to the east now in the form of Emirates/Dubai, we need our gateway to the west!

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Great news about Flybe:)

Still waiting on news about the American route though. We have our gateway to the east now in the form of Emirates/Dubai, we need our gateway to the west!
Canadian airline Air Transat begins a regular toronto service in May tho i suppose we've had charter flights to Toronto for years.

S

·
0 Posts
I've heard the reason why the Newcastle-New York flight didn't get going was because they couldn't get the necessary landing and take off slots at JFK. Everything else was in place apparantley.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
More flights planned to boost expanding airport

Mar 3 2008 by Karen Dent, The Journal

THE number of flights, destinations and size of aircraft used at Newcastle International Airport are on the up after existing routes proved popular.

From today, Eastern Airways has boosted the number of daily trips from the airport to Aberdeen from five to six a day and from Southampton from three to four a day. The regional airline has brought in a larger 50-seat Saab 2000 aircraft to increase seat capacity by up to 50% for the additional flights.

From April the airline will introduce three flights each weekday to Cardiff and two daily flights to Stavanger in Norway.

The Aberdeen and Stavanger routes are both aimed at serving demand from the offshore oil and gas industry.

The Eastern news comes as global carrier Emirates has announced positive figures for its new route from Newcastle to Dubai, with 70,000 passengers reported to have used the link in its first six months.

Eastern Airways chief operating officer Chris Holliday said: “Business commuters want punctual, convenient flights specifically timed to suit their travel patterns and our increased services from Newcastle enable us to provide a comprehensive schedule to meet their needs and expectations.”

Newcastle Airport chief executive Dave Laws said: “We’re delighted that Eastern Airways are continuing to expand their services at Newcastle Airport.

“Additional flights to these popular destinations will greatly increase flexibility and choice for existing Eastern Airways passengers and should also help stimulate extra customer demand.

“The airline has an excellent reputation for punctuality and service, so its not surprising that their operations from Newcastle are continuing to grow.”

The airline, which according to Civil Aviation Authority figures is the most punctual operating from Newcastle, has dedicated fast-track baggage handling facilities at Newcastle, Southampton and Cardiff airports.

Although widely recognised as a business service – the airline says the high frequency of its flights are designed to cater for business people – Eastern is aiming to attract leisure passengers by offering discounted one-way tickets to coincide with the launch of the additional services. The promotional tickets, which include taxes and airport charges, start from £49.

Eastern Airways, which also flies to Birmingham and the Isle of Man from Newcastle, has a specially-branded North East plane as part of a partnership with regional development agency One NorthEast flying on scheduled routes from Newcastle and Durham Tees Valley Airport.

Vic Sheppard, vice president of Emirates in the UK, said he was pleased with their success in the North East.

He said: “When you launch a new service, the first year you expect to make a loss, the second to break even, and the third to make a profit. Our forecast for this year is to break even or perhaps have a little bit of profit.”

Emirates is considering upgrading its 180-seat Airbus to a Boeing 777 with 400 seats.

·
Registered
288 Posts
"Emirates is considering upgrading its 180-seat Airbus to a Boeing 777 with 400 seats."

I wonder if NCL could eventually cope with an A380 - Emirates has one or two of those on order!

S

·
0 Posts
I wonder if NCL could eventually cope with an A380 - Emirates has one or two of those on order!
Probably not, a 747 can only manage a take off from NCL if it has nothing in the hold. Obviously that isn't any good for a commercial service.

Any extension of the runway would probably meet with serious local opposition given how close such planes would be passing over the neighbouring villages at the end of the runway.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
From the official airport site, plans of how it should look in 2011 following the current masterplan, expanded terminal and runway.

I've updated the front page.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Can I jus say that I very much doubt that the airport will look like that in 2011. Expanding the airport at the moment would be daft as the number of flights are decreasing not increasing at the moment- that is even including Emirates. Easyjet and Jet2 have both reduced the number of aircraft at the Newcastle and the charters have also decreased the number of holiday flights this year.
Plus getting planning persmission for a terminal building and runway expansion (that will involve redirectinga road underneath the new extended runway) will take ages let alone get to build- seeing as though 2011 is what only 2 1/2 years away I simply can't see it happen.
That is unless there is something the airport hasnt told us yet i.e another low cost operater is going to base in Newcastle (Ryanair or Flybe) or we are going to get more long haul (Pakistan airlines has been mentioned and of course the long awaited USA conection) I would be totally flabergasted if their is any increase in terminal building and/ or runway in the next 3 years especially the way economy is going.

61 - 80 of 1350 Posts