SkyscraperCity banner

101 - 120 of 1359 Posts

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Jet2.com will keep flying from Newcastle Airport

Apr 21 2009 by David Old, Evening Chronicle

GEORDIE sunseekers can continue to look forward to low-cost holidays, an airline has vowed.

Jet2.com pledged its commitment to Newcastle International airport after its parent company, Dart Group, announced strong trading despite the economic downturn.

It is the latest show of support for the region since the boss of Durham Tees Valley warned the North East could lose links with London.

Newcastle International chief executive Dave Laws joined BA bosses in rubbishing the claims Tyneside to London links were under threat.

Now Jet2.com’s boss, Philip Meeson has hinted more destinations could be on the cards from Newcastle.

He said: “We like Newcastle and are very committed to the city. We are always in constant dialogue with the airport about how we can expand our services and serve more destinations.

“We certainly hope to add more destinations but we don’t want to go too fast. We’ve had a very fast-growing leisure offering and we want to ensure we give our customers really friendly service so they want to come back. Their holidays start with us and we’re working very hard to give them the lowest possible fares at destinations which are very popular.

“This past year we have seen excellent growth into brand new destinations while our most popular routes are still at the core of our service, providing value holidays and leisure breaks for people to escape the gloom of the UK.”

His comments came after the Dart Group’s pre-close update revealed the firm was in line to hit profit targets. A statement revealed 1.2m passengers had already booked their breaks with the airline which is in line for a record summer.

City analysts said the collapse of rivals XL had strengthened the group’s position.

Analyst at Collins Stewart, Andrew Fitchie said: “At Jet2.com, small capacity cuts and last year’s network re-focus on the Eastern Mediterranean, Turkey, the Canaries and Sharm el Sheikh, have paid off. Charter income has increased substantially, driven principally by the collapse of XL.

“Jet2.com is one of a small number of airlines that has traded consistently profitably over recent years. Clearly the outlook for the sector remains uncertain, however Jet2.com’s bookings remain strong.”

Chris Arden, analyst at Arden Partners, said: “These results show that the strategy of evolving Jet2.com into an integrated airline/holiday/charter model is working very well and that its longer range routes to the Canaries and the Eastern Mediterranean provide great competitive services.”

The low-cost airline is launching flights to party island Ibiza and Eastern European’s hotspot Split, in Croatia, from Newcastle next month.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
some pretty bad news - Cimber Air are cutting the Newcastle Copenhagen service in May. I bet our co-owners in denmark are a bit miffed.

·
Put it in your mouth
7,111 Posts
My parents' monthly trips to Copenhagen are about to get a lot harder!

What's the nearest city to Newcastle with a direct flight to CPH? It's Edinburgh, isn't it?

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
yes i think so. i can't see this route being resurrected until the recession is over.

though talk of the BA LHR route being axed is fanciful... i hope. those flights are usually very busy and more importantly, they connect into the long-haul flights that are BA's cash cow.

S

·
0 Posts
Yeah but how many of the passengers on those BA flights are from Newcastle Airport?

I'd imagine in comparison to Manchester/Edinburgh/Glasgow not a lot. Plus the growing popularity of other hubs such as Schipol, CDG and even Dubai must be eating into their passenger numbers.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Schipol and CDG have been around for ages. Dubai is the only one that i can see having any sort of impact. as i said, can't see them dropping the route.

·
Urban Environmentalist
1,661 Posts
I use the LHR flight about 5 or 6 times a year and I would say I'm an average traveller, maybe once or twice for hols and the rest for work trips to London... everytime I have been on its been packed! Not one seat free. Flybe to Exeter on the other hand, ghost town every time!

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
My parents' monthly trips to Copenhagen are about to get a lot harder!

What's the nearest city to Newcastle with a direct flight to CPH? It's Edinburgh, isn't it?
some good news, Cimber are re-instating the Newcastle-Copenhagen route on May 11th, only 3 days after they were supposed to end scheduled flights. :banana:

·
Put it in your mouth
7,111 Posts
lol, that's good news indeed.

My dad is a Danish translator, so he's always going to Copenhagen for work.

·
Urban Environmentalist
1,661 Posts
some good news, Cimber are re-instating the Newcastle-Copenhagen route on May 11th, only 3 days after they were supposed to end scheduled flights. :banana:
Its soooooo expensive! I looked into it once and I think a return was £300. Yikes!

·
ताज़ा सम
517 Posts
Nice airport:)
Keep it up

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I've just came across this photograph of the construction of the new hotel at NIA. I'm not sure if anyone will have seen it before so I thought I'd add it here. It was taken at the end of last year. The last I heard was it is due to open in December as Doubletree by Hilton, not sure if anyone has heard anymore?

Credit goes to WAZA05 on flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2878504763/

·
Registered
134 Posts
Great to hear a new route opening to Norway, I would love to visit some day.

"Travellers wanting to sample the delights of the Fjords can access Norway and other Scandinavian countries following the re-introduction of flights between Newcastle International Airport and Bergen, Norway's second largest city.
Operated by Eastern Airways, the route was launched by the Lord Mayor of Newcastle, Cllr Mike Cookson, at the airport today on Monday, 5 October at 9.45am before he boarded its inaugural flight at 10.30am.
This daily weekday service arrives in Bergen at 1.35pm local time and the return flight will leave Newcastle's twin city at 2.30pm arriving into Newcastle at 3.35pm, with fares starting from £89 one way.
Cllr Cookson was joined on this first flight by Cllr Bill Shepherd, Newcastle City Council's Executive Member for Regeneration and Housing, and on arrival were guests of the Mayor of Bergen before returning to Newcastle International Airport tomorrow.
Once in Bergen the Lord Mayor and Cllr Shepherd will be looking at regeneration projects and offshore businesses which have close links to the North East. The Lord Mayor and Cllr Shepherd hope Newcastle and Bergen can learn from each other and promote economic growth between the two cities.
Before his flight on this new service Cllr Mike Cookson, the Lord Mayor of Newcastle, said: "This city already enjoys a close friendship with the people of Bergen and I am thrilled to be launching this new Eastern Airways flight which not only gives people access to whole of Norway but to all Scandinavian countries.
"Each year Newcastle welcomes thousands of visitors from Norway and this weekday service will provide a fantastic gateway to the United Kingdom for business and leisure passengers, especially as we head toward the festive period."
Chris Holliday, Eastern Airways' chief operating officer, said: "Restoring this important link will help to further strengthen business links, forge new partnerships and also provide greater inbound tourism opportunities to both these attractive short break destinations. We're also pleased that our new service allows the Lord Mayor of Newcastle to take a convenient direct link to meet Bergen's mayor as part of the city's long-standing relationship."
Chris Sanders, Head of Aviation Development at Newcastle International, said: "We are delighted that Eastern Airways have chosen to launch flights to Bergen in addition to their existing Stavanger service. Trade and tourism links with Norway are strong and this service will help these important links expand further."

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/dec/08/passenger-tax-flights-reduce-co2

Only a passing mention of Newcastle airport, but an important one - the expansion of Heathrow will essentialy take up all of the UK's capacity for extra air travel without going above the level of carbon emissions we hope to be making in the future (if that makes any sense - I'm very tired right now!).

As a result, expansion of a number of regional airports including Newcastle would be blocked.

Personally I'd block any expansion and stop the third runway at Heathrow...

·
The Legend
13,197 Posts
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/dec/08/passenger-tax-flights-reduce-co2

Only a passing mention of Newcastle airport, but an important one - the expansion of Heathrow will essentialy take up all of the UK's capacity for extra air travel without going above the level of carbon emissions we hope to be making in the future (if that makes any sense - I'm very tired right now!).

As a result, expansion of a number of regional airports including Newcastle would be blocked.

Personally I'd block any expansion and[i/] stop the third runway at Heathrow...

That is a joke, yet again it means people have to travel to London, this government is a fucking joke, I thought they atleast wanted to give the impression they wanted the NE (and other regoins for that matter) the progress, and to stop the north-south divide.

Fucking joke.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
This whole tax to reduce CO2 emissions is non-sense, people will still fly, they have no choice if they want to go abroad. The only difference is the government gets more money, which will no doubt be wasted. Or are they trying to make flying only accessible to the rich?? What a disgrace! :eek:hno:

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
Well hopefully if we can get high speed rail up here eventually we won't need to fly. In fact I'd only fly to a London airport if a) the flight was much cheaper (which happens all too often and needs to be rectified - through train prices dropping, obviously) or b) because it was a connecting flight to another flight out of that London airport.

As things stand, it takes you about three hours to get to London by flying anyway - getting to the airport an hour before flying, slightly under an hour's flight, plus the time for picking up bags, passport control, getting into London itself etc etc. As long as the train's clean and not full of idiots (which admittedly isn't always the case) I'd rather just hop on one and read for the three hours.

As for the taxes, the research shows that the majority of people using cheap flights are those who have bought holiday homes abroad that they visit regularly - not exactly poor people. They're maybe talking about adding £10 to a flight (although I'm pulling numbers out of the air to some extent), which is nothing on the cost of a holiday even to the poorest members of society. And if this money is being put directly into fighting climate change (this is a big "if" though) then I think it's entirely a good thing.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
The thing is by building high speed rail it only reduces the number of domestic flights to the areas served by the rail service. Even then people will use domestic flights for connections because its easier, not to mention people using the airport to fly to other countries, which is the majority of passengers for the airport.

101 - 120 of 1359 Posts