SkyscraperCity banner

1341 - 1350 of 1350 Posts

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I think as sad as it is to see jobs going, nationally we are going to need provide alternative employment for people involved in fossil fuel industries.

Although the jobs are hardly transferrable, but improvements in high speed rail networks, as well as re-industrialisation of Tyneside, Blyth, Seaham, Sunderland et al to support major green industry and logistics is an absolute must.

Maybe one day there will be a series of solar farms instead of a runway at Newcastle Airport instead.

·
Registered
250 Posts
My friends working for Easyjet, hundreds of direct jobs and hundreds of logistic, customer service and support service jobs going, really bad news, 2 jobs seriously does not cover it.

·
The Legend
13,174 Posts
Really bad news.
Newcastle Airport was only just getting back on it’s feet from the financial disaster of 07/08. It was on course for 10m passengers in the coming years and there was hopes for longer range routes to open.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
This is bad news- however most of the places they fly to are covered by other airlines at Newcastle- mainly Spain, Croatia, Malta and a Corfu thrown in. However I preferred easyJet to Ryanair (really crappy planes and service and rubbish times of flights as they don’t have a base), Jet2 (bit pricey now- usually same price for a holiday from them than a flight), Tui (pricey). Only places I see that easyJet fly to that aren’t covered by other airlines are Barcelona, Geneva, Jersey and Nice.
To be fair the writing was on the wall for easyJet at NCL- airlines have tried and failed to get the north east public to have city breaks to Budapest etc. and they all fail- all people want to do is to go on ‘holiday/ sunshine’ destinations not city breaks- all that seems to work from Newcastle to places in Europe are sunshine destinations and there was so much competition for easyJet to these places- maybe also people up here prefer the package holidays rather than arranging your own hence why Jet2 was doing well up here and Tui.
Although a blow, I hope maybe Nice, Geneva and Barcelona will be picked up by Jet2, once the pandemic is over.
The biggest potential blow and this would be a blow is that Emirates don’t return- they are keep pushing back their restart of flights from Newcastle when other places in the U.K. are restarting earlier.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
It is sad for economic reasons but I think we have to accept somewhat that COVID is a huge opportunity to change the mindset of convenient flying and have a mass cull of accessible flights.

What is absolutely key however is that these 'trade routes' are not just forgotten about but replaced with better rail and port services

·
King of Bernicia
1,225 Posts
This is devastating, goes far beyond the jobs lost from easyjet.
The airport is going to be in major trouble. Easyjet was a huge chunk of their flights.
The Geneva flight was regularly full of business travellers. Belfast and Bristol too were important business routes. Newcastle has lost a chunk of its competitiveness here.

Between this and everything else things really don't look good for the North East at all. My prospects for staying here into the future have dropped down a few notches.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Belfast and Bristol will remain as they will be run by crew/ aircraft from those places. I thought a lot of the places easyJet cover would continue but with plane/ crew from elsewhere- so a plane and crew from Bristol flys in early (good for business users) same crew and plane then goes to Nice returns to NCL and then back to Bristol early evening. So W shape as Ryanair do. Shock was that they are just cancelling everything. Initially they said NCL would still be part of their operations but clearly it isn’t really (apart from two domestic routes). Like I say I’d like to think that Barcelona, Geneva could be picked up by Jet2 or Ryanair. Thing with Ryanair is that as Newcastle isn’t a base the flight times are poor- flying home from Malaga is at 6am as it’s ran by a plane parked overnight there and with a crew from not NCL. As I say most bucket and spade places are covered with other airlines. I’m more nervous about BA, Emirates, KLM and Air France do in the long term- as I say EK keep putting back the DXB restart flights from NCL.

·
12,968 Posts
Geneva also has year round business as a snow destination, given their other similar destinations no surprise of we see a weekly Jet2 flight [though I wish they'd trun the [email protected]@dy tune off when you're on the plane :)].

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is devastating, goes far beyond the jobs lost from easyjet.
The airport is going to be in major trouble. Easyjet was a huge chunk of their flights.
The Geneva flight was regularly full of business travellers. Belfast and Bristol too were important business routes. Newcastle has lost a chunk of its competitiveness here.

Between this and everything else things really don't look good for the North East at all. My prospects for staying here into the future have dropped down a few notches.
COVID reality. Even London airports are under pressure. LGW (UK #2) in particular. Easyjet never really expanded enough at NCL to maintain the base under these pressures.

1341 - 1350 of 1350 Posts