SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Human Being
39,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to relaunch this Newcastle thread. Two reasons: firstly, I accidentally deleted some files from my Photobucket account; and secondly, I was not happy with many of the photos that I had posted earlier on in the thread's life.

Newcastle Upon Tyne is a city in the far north-east of England. It has a history of shipbuilding, coal mining and was a major centre for the wool trade. Historically, it is was part of the lovely county of Northumberland, and was also an early Roman settlement. The emperor Hadrian built a wall stretching from the east coast north of Newcastle to the west coast, to keep the neighbouring Scots at bay; the remains of which can still be visited.
Newcastle sits eight miles inland from The North Sea - with the ancient settlement of Tynemouth being the entry point to the River Tyne, the major river which flows through Newcastle.

The photos which follow will be familiar to those who have viewed this thread previously, albeit re-organised and re-edited:

·
Registered
975 Posts
Very impressive – I had no idea. Great photos! Ta.

Reactions: openlyJane

·
Human Being
39,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tynemouth sits, literally, at the mouth of the River Tyne as it enters The North Sea, about 8 miles from Newcastle city centre. If I was to live in Newcastle, Tynemouth is where I'd live; that is if I didn't live in the suburb of Jesmond near to the city centre:

·
Registered
958 Posts
I've loved Newcastle since I first went there as a kid in the 1950's. I spotted the bookshop in the Grainger Market which I used to browse around back then. Great pics Jane!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts