SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
The Legend
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier today I strlled across to the Auzzie section of SSC (usuallu only the Canadian side of things I look at) and I proposed to them that we should each make a dedicated thread about each others city of Newcastle because as twin cities we share more then just been twin cities, we share similar industry, similar/same named towns etc, even our football/soccer clubs share the same name, though theirs does have an extension on to their name.

Anyway I thought it would be great if every so often we took a look to see whats happening on the other side of the world and like I said had a thread dedicated to the discussions of our twin cities. Anyway as the Australian Newcastle doesn't have a Sub-Forum like we do and foucses on our old ways of just having single threads it's unlikely that they will give us a thread on their side of things, but theirs no reason why we can't have a thread about their Newcastle with Auzzies coming on here every so often to give us updates of whats happening in their Newcastle, and hopefully some may take an interest in whats happening in our Newcastle.

·
The Legend
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Earlier today I strlled across to the Auzzie section of SSC (usuallu only the Canadian side of things I look at) and I proposed to them that we should each make a dedicated thread about each others city of Newcastle because as twin cities we share more then just been twin cities, we share similar industry, similar/same named towns etc, even our football/soccer clubs share the same name, though theirs does have an extension on to their name.

Anyway I thought it would be great if every so often we took a look to see whats happening on the other side of the world and like I said had a thread dedicated to the discussions of our twin cities. Anyway as the Australian Newcastle doesn't have a Sub-Forum like we do and foucses on our old ways of just having single threads it's unlikely that they will give us a thread on their side of things, but theirs no reason why we can't have a thread about their Newcastle with Auzzies coming on here every so often to give us updates of whats happening in their Newcastle, and hopefully some may take an interest in whats happening in our Newcastle.
The link to the thread above is here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1058549

I would very much appreciate it if NH :)cheers2: NH)could copy this link onto the "Useful website links" so that everyone can have veiw and easy access to it once the Skybar has move on a few pages.

Also thanks to hollow man who has already posted on there before I was able to get the link up.

·
Super Moderator
22,608 Posts
The link to the thread above is here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1058549

I would very much appreciate it if NH :)cheers2: NH)could copy this link onto the "Useful website links" so that everyone can have veiw and easy access to it once the Skybar has move on a few pages.

Also thanks to hollow man who has already posted on there before I was able to get the link up.

DONE . . .

It is in Section 20.

NEWCASTLE AUSTRALIA - TWIN CITY SSC THREAD
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1058549

I wasn't sure what 'title' to give it, let me know if you are happy or not with the above, Chris.

·
The Legend
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
The Legend
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, not long ago a created a thread that allows us easy access and discussions between our city of Newcastle and our sister city Newcastle in Austrailia, I was wondering if anyone thinks that we should create a thread for all or our sister cities to give us easy access and to be able to discuss whats going on here and in our other sister cities aswell?

Hopefully it would allow us to communicate more with cities like Newcastle, Australia, Newcastle, South Africa, Atlanta, and Little Rock in the USA. Little Rock is very proud of it's connection with Newcastle, they often send over a group of children to learn about our city while we mainly sned of MP's from the area, it would be great to know more about these places. Lets not forget Bergen who also treat us very well, sending over xmas tree's every year and probs doing much more behind the scenes, no doubt we only send them over a bottle of Brown Ale, a Greggs Stottie, a tub of Peaspudding, a savoloy, and a NUFC Annual.

I think we could also try doing SSC twins in which we have a SSC sister city that we communicate to, ofcourse we would need to choose cities that are similar to ouw own. For example in Canada I was thinking about Hamilton which has a history of being very indsutrial, ship building, has a similar population size to us etc, or Saskatoon which has a Science park (which we aim to have) but their industry more relies on farming, Uranium, Gold mining, Diamond Mining etc but the name toon on the end of it is splet like the way we say toon and is also pronounced that way.

Has anyone got any other or better ideas? or do you not think something like would work?

·
Super Moderator
22,608 Posts
The President of the United States of America, visits Newcastle on 6th May 1977.

At some point in the future, I will do a full and detailed post to cover this visit to Newcastle by Jimmy Carter, in 1977. The bulk of his time was spent, and all of his speeches and presentations took place, on the 'open spaces' (as he called them that day) in front of the Civic Centre and St Thomas' Church. He then went to 'Washington Old Hall', the ancestral home of the first president of the United States, George Washington.

I have quite a bit of information about this visit, and at some point will do a proper post on it.

In the meantime, as a quickie in response to Chris's post, here is a photo I took, which shows just how close I was to him that morning . . .

In those days, I only had my little 'Kodak Instamatic' camera, with no zoom lenses of any description . . . so the above is how close I was!!

That morning, myself and Mrs 'H' had both decided we weren't going to bother going to see him, even though a visiting president of the USA was a very rare thing in the UK, just as it is now. I changed my mind and went there instead of going to work. I later got a bit of a telling off from my boss, for going 'awol' that morning!! Unknown to me, Mrs H had done the same thing, and was somewhere else in the big crowd.

It was very interesting to see Jimmy Carter, the 'peanut farmer from Atlanta' in front of our Civic Centre. This day, is why we are a 'twin city' of Atlanta, of course.

"J C" (I remember) famously said that morning, in his 'Southern American' drawl . . .

"Howay the Lads . . . I'm proud to be a Geordie now!!"

·
6ft of fun.
87 Posts
Jimmy Carter came back on the anniversary of that visit - it must have been 10 years, cos I was still living up there. He trundled down Northumberland St in a ceremonial coach, throwing out handfulls of monkey nuts to the crowd*

* passing shoppers.

·
Super Moderator
22,608 Posts
Great post Historian!!, I never knew thats the reason why we are twinned with Atlanta!!

Has there ever been a major Newcastle event that you havent been at?!?!?

Well, I wasn't at "Garibaldi's"!!

But seriously, I'll do a proper post about Jimmy Carters visit, at some point in the future.

·
Super Moderator
22,608 Posts
Gelsenkirchen, one of Newcastle's historical 'Twin Cities', is home to the Schalke 04 football club
May 1st 2011, Sunday Sun

THEY are fighting for their lives in football’s greatest club contest, but one German side can count Tyneside among its away support.

Newcastle and the city home of Schalke 04 are twinned, and officials of the club are hoping for black and white backing to overturn a first-leg 2-0 defeat at the hands of Manchester United.

The Bundesliga side face a stern test to overcome the home defeat in the two-match tie for a place in the Champions League final at Wembley next month.

The cities of Newcastle and Gelsenkirchen formed an official bond in 1947 just two years after the end of the Second World War.

The twin cities share a history intertwined in the industrial revolution and the exploitation of natural resources.

Gelsenkirchen developed as the industries coal, steel and iron grew rapidly much as Newcastle was built on the back of the coal mining and ship building industries from the 16th century onwards.

While the phrase “coals to Newcastle” is synonymous with the Tyneside city, “the town of a thousand fires” is the name given to the Westphalian twin.

Read More - http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/news/nor...e-newcastle-united-of-germany-79310-28613037/

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Gelsenkirchen, one of Newcastle's historical 'Twin Cities', is home to the Schalke 04 football club
While the phrase “coals to Newcastle” is synonymous with the Tyneside city, “the town of a thousand fires” is the name given to the Westphalian twin.
Read More - http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/news/nor...e-newcastle-united-of-germany-79310-28613037/
As a sad coda to that, I read in a paper a couple of days ago that the Tyne is now the fourth largest port for coal imports in the UK.

·
Super Moderator
22,608 Posts
Jimmy Carter, President of the United States
of America, visits Newcastle on 6th May 1977

On April 2nd 2010, I wrote the below on this thread . . .

Newcastle Historian; April 2nd 2010 said:
The President of the United States of America visits Newcastle.

At some point in the future, I will do a full and detailed post to cover this visit to Newcastle by Jimmy Carter in 1977. The bulk of his time was spent, and all of his speeches and presentations took place, on the 'open spaces' (as he called them that day) in front of the Civic Centre and St Thomas' Church. He then went to 'Washington Old Hall', the ancestral home of the first president of the United States, George Washington.

I have quite a bit of information about this visit, and at some point will do a proper post on it.
Well, I apologise that it has taken me so long to get around to doing so, but here is my 'story' of the Visit of Jimmy Carter to Newcastle on 6th May 1977.

AND . . . I was there :cheers:that day!

Actually, that morning both myself and 'Mrs H' originally decided that we were not going to bother going to see JC, even though a visiting president of the USA was a very rare thing in the UK, just as it is now.

I quickly changed my mind though (after we had split up to go off to our respective workplaces) and I headed off down to the Civic Centre, instead of going to work. I later got something of a telling off from my boss, for going 'awol' that morning!!

Unknown to me, Mrs H had done the same thing, and she was somewhere else in the big crowd, though I never actually saw her there.

It was very interesting to see Jimmy Carter, the 'peanut farmer from Atlanta', and to listen to him in front of our own Civic Centre. "J C" (I remember) famously said that morning (as he was given the 'Freedom of the City') in his pronounced 'Southern American' drawl . . .

"Howay the Lads - I'm very grateful to be a Geordie now!!"

Of course his visit to Newcastle that day is why we became a 'twin city' of Atlanta, Georgia, and there is much more about 'The Friendship Force' (as it is called) with Atlanta, later in this post.

I wanted to record the historic occasion personally, but in In those days I only had my little 'Kodak Instamatic' camera, with no zoom lense of any description. Anyway, the below photo, that I took, shows just how close I was to him (with no 'zoom lense') that morning . . .

Here is my full collection of six photos from that morning (from my own Photo Album from that year) and those "very little specks" in the distance are : Councillor Hugh White (Lord Mayor of Newcastle) James Callaghan (Prime Minister) and Jimmy Carter (US President) . . .

Here are two "slightly closer" (!) photos of those same events, taken from the folowing days Journal . .

This photo was taken by the 'Official City Council Photographers', as Jimmy Carter arrived at Newcastle Airport . .

A later letter of thanks to the Lord Mayor from the President of the United States . .

The visit, as recorded in the May 1977 issue of City News' . .

The visit, as recorded in the Evening Chronicle of that same day, 6th May 1977 . .

Shortly afterward, BBC Radio Newcastle issued an LP record of the day . .

This next item will be of particular interest to those of you who were not around in 1977, and so did not see the "endless" coverage of the speeches on the National News.

This is a short excerpt from Jimmy Carters speech, in a YouTube Video . . .

All the speeches that day took place in front of the Civic Centre, but after that the President then visited Washington New Town, as shown in this really excellent little book, published by the Washington Development Corporation . .

I recently posted the complete story of the Washington part of Jimmy Carter's 1977 visit, in four articles taken from the above ^^ book.

The articles are on the 'Sunderland & Durham' Forum, in their History and Old Photos thread . . .

Part One - Introduction and Background.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=77463231&postcount=359

Part Two - Waiting for the President . . and . . The President Arrives.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=77527381&postcount=361

Part Three - Leaving the Old Hall . . and . . The famous Tree Planting . . and . . The President leaves Washington.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=77927125&postcount=367

Part Four - Washington from Old to New.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=78541640&postcount=373

Finally - The resultant "Friendship Force" with our Twin City of Atlanta.

Very soon after the visit, Newcastle was "twinned" with Jimmy Carter's home City of Atlanta, and the Friendship Force was started . . .

So, all in all, a VERY memorable day :)

·
Super Moderator
22,608 Posts
Newcastles of the World project comes to Newcastle
by Joanne Butcher, Evening Chronicle, June 15th 2012

NEWCASTLES from across the globe are coming together in one city.

From Newcastle, Australia, and Neuchatel, Switzerland, to Shinshiro City, Japan, cities who share the Newcastle name will unite for the largest-ever gathering of its kind, and where better to do it than the “original” Newcastle, our city right here on the Tyne.

Organising the Newcastles of the World project is Coun David Faulkner, leader of the Liberal Democrats at Newcastle City Council.

He hopes to build a lasting legacy of cultural, business and friendship links across the globe. “There are over a hundred different ‘Newcastles’ or ‘New Castles’ around the world, in many different countries and in many different languages,” said Coun Faulkner. “We think of ourselves as the first and original Newcastle. Many of the other Newcastles are names after our city, for example in America or former Commonwealth countries were settlers who set up new towns. Others have no connection at all – they are just the site of a new castle at some point in history.

“This is a special opportunity to be able to welcome many of them here and to be able to connect with people and groups in many more of the ‘Newcastles family’ through social media. The idea ultimately is to create a network of Newcastles. It is not about just local authorities getting together but about citizens and groups in different Newcastles getting in touch and building contacts.”

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...es-to-newcastle-72703-31187932/#ixzz1xsPdAzxZ

·
dE/dm
2,407 Posts
Very nearly went to Newcastle NSW recently when I was in Sydney. Unfortunately I had a meeting later in the day and wouldn't have time to go there and back. Went to Wollongong instead :eek:hno:

·
The Legend
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've just stumbled across this from a few years ago. To my knowledge it hasn't been successful yet.

Campaign to twin Alicante with Newcastle:

As the North East recovers from its latest arctic blast of winter, a campaign has been launched to twin Newcastle with Spanish sunshine holiday destination Alicante.

The Spanish city is the most popular destination for holiday-makers flying from Newcastle airport and celebrities from the region joined calls for the cities to be twinned.
More here: http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...-twin-alicante-with-newcastle-61634-22935932/

·
Northumberland Import
1,575 Posts
Alicante may be popular but the reason is Benidorm.

Newcastle would twin well with Benidorm. Places have a lot in common (climate aside)

·
The Legend
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alicante may be popular but the reason is Benidorm.

Newcastle would twin well with Benidorm. Places have a lot in common (climate aside)
Don't people looking for a more relaxing cheap holiday go to Alicante where as those looking for parties, nightclubs and everything else go to Benidorm but both use Alicante airport?

·
Northumberland Import
1,575 Posts
I'd say 95% of those plane loads are off to Benidorm. Alicante isn't the cheapest when you compare it to other airports.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts