SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 848 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Just a quick summary of the current developments at Newcastle University.

Kings Gate

Cost: £35m
Architect: Bond Bryan Architects

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/about/campus/developments/projects/kingsgate.htm

INTO Newcastle

Cost: £50m
Architect: FaulknerBrowns

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/about/campus/developments/projects/into.htm

Medical Sciences Building

Cost: £29.8m
Architect: FaulknerBrowns

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/about/campus/developments/projects/medical.htm

Business School

Cost: Commercial pre-let
Architect: Ian Simpson Architects

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/about/campus/developments/projects/nubs.htm

·
22,044 Posts
The landscaping around the new Admin Building (Kings Gate) is now well under way, here is a photo of what it was like only a few months ago, and a copy of the PLANS showing the completed layout leading up the steps to the Quadrangle and main Northern Stage entrance area.

and this is what the INTO building should look like . . .

·
Letting off the happiness
5,855 Posts
I really like this building. A fantastic bit of noughties infil architecture and a vast improvement on the empty carpark there before. Hopefully the next building down on Percy Street will be of a similar quality.

·
The Legend
13,146 Posts
I really like this building. A fantastic bit of noughties infil architecture and a vast improvement on the empty carpark there before. Hopefully the next building down on Percy Street will be of a similar quality.
Yes, maybe we should ask Newcastle University to buy and develope the oxfam site.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
AngeroftheNorth said, in the main thread, that someone pretty high up at Newcastle Uni wanted to get rid of the Claremont Buildings on Barras Bridge. This was going to be refurbished as the northern writer's centre but funding for this unfortunately fell through.

·
Urban Environmentalist
1,661 Posts
I know from a source at the uni that they would NEVER get rid, they are keen to preserve any historic buildings as so much damage has been done in the past with poor buildings being added to campus etc. The current problem is they dont know what to with these buildings becuase the uni has TOO MUCH space on its hands! Ever since 2007they have been trying to condense the space footprint for cost/environmental reasons so these buildings are standing empty. The only occupant on the whole row is a doctor and dentist (they lease the space from the uni).

·
22,044 Posts
I know from a source at the uni that they would NEVER get rid, they are keen to preserve any historic buildings as so much damage has been done in the past with poor buildings being added to campus etc. The current problem is they dont know what to with these buildings becuase the uni has TOO MUCH space on its hands! Ever since 2007they have been trying to condense the space footprint for cost/environmental reasons so these buildings are standing empty. The only occupant on the whole row is a doctor and dentist (they lease the space from the uni).
That's my dentist (Kingswalk Dentists) and she has just got new premises in Leazes Park Road, so there will only be the doctor left. Isn't that the 'University Medical Doctor', or something?

I know my dentist has had to put up with YEARS of mess and building works outside. She had the scruffy 'temporary' (for about 30 years!) surface car park in front of the building, then the mess from the Northern Stage re-furb (the back of that overlooks these buildings) then from the University Admin building (Kings Gate) construction. Now, just as the landscaping around that area in front of her building is being done, she's moving!!

Below is a photo of the lanscaping work being done, a few months ago. I think it is nearly finished now.

I think it's great when small areas that have been a MESS for years (detracting from any good impact that neighbouring 'new builds' might have made) suddenly become beautifully landscaped and ADD to the environment. What that achieves (when it is well done, as the University, for example, usually do) is to 'complete' the urban lanscape by joining new and pre-existing older buildings/areas together! Completing the picture, so to speak.

This little area will do just that.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
The current problem is they dont know what to with these buildings becuase the uni has TOO MUCH space on its hands! Ever since 2007they have been trying to condense the space footprint for cost/environmental reasons so these buildings are standing empty.
If they have too much space on their hands why are they building £200m worth of new buildings? Doesn't really make sense?

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I know from a source at the uni that they would NEVER get rid, they are keen to preserve any historic buildings as so much damage has been done in the past with poor buildings being added to campus etc.

They weren't that keen to preserve the Old Brewery, were they?

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
I can't imagine they'd ever try to get rid of the building, plus it's listed, but the guy really did like the idea of knocking the place down. He probably has absolutely no say in that side of things (I certainly hope not anyway) but he was alarmingly keen as I say. Don't worry though, I'm sure it was just idle chat.

·
Urban Environmentalist
1,661 Posts
If they have too much space on their hands why are they building £200m worth of new buildings? Doesn't really make sense?
Because exisiting buildings were a poor use of space, and energy inefficient largely. The biggest offender being Kensington Terrace, which is now replaced with King's Gate (the new one on Barras Bridge). For info, this building is now occupied as of today!

The other buildings going up are the Business School (relocation), INTO Centre (external company) and medical research building (VERY specific type of facility required). But I swear... despite how it looks... they are trying to reduce space requirements :)

·
Registered
784 Posts
What's happenning with the Kensington Terrace buildings? Presumably the University will stay as Landlord on the buildings, keeping up their little property empire?

·
Letting off the happiness
5,855 Posts
Is the university cutting back on courses? I would've thought with demand at the moment being so high for places they could utilise the extra space with more courses, but I guess it's far more complicated than that in regard to government funding etc.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
I've been wondering for some time what they will do with Kensington Tce. If the housing market was good they'd make lovely houses like the ones on Jesmond Road by the library, but I doubt anything like that will happen anytime soon since the ones that were done are mostly still empty. Student accommodation maybe?

1 - 20 of 848 Posts