SkyscraperCity banner

981 - 1000 of 1587 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
They are nut-jobs. I go there for a laugh. They are so incensed by people wanting to live differently than they do. Its bizarre.

Same people who think more Te Reo in primary school means they, as grown adults (in age, not mentality) are being "forced to speak Maori". Its nonsensical.

About the only thing that gets them wound up more than apartments (esp. with no parking) and Te Reo, is cycle lanes. Pass me the popcorn...
Must be the same fellas who think Xmas will be abolished and bananas will be required to be straight.

Reactions: tommo39

·
Registered
613 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
There's an application in the resource consents issued today for a "10-storey commercial building and associated earthworks" at 55 Molesworth Street, the former site of the ICI Building which was the building demolished after the Kaikoura earthquake.

It'll be interesting to see what it looks like.

https://wellington.govt.nz/~/media/services/consents-and-licenses/resource-consents/files/issued-applied/received-20-august---31-august-2018.pdf?la=en
Here's some renders for that building. The architects are Studio Pacific. I think it looks great.

·
Registered
613 Posts
There's been quite a bit of interesting housing news over the last week or so.

Firstly, there was this about how the WCC and the Wellington Company are teaming up to provide 35 affordable rentals in Freemason House on Willis Street: https://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/107073873/wellington-city-council-partners-with-developers-to-ease-rental-crisis-in-wellington

And then yesterday there was an article about how the Council has approached the Government to work with it in providing Kiwi Build houses. One of the proposed schemes is touted as a 10,000 house eco-suburb in the Lincolnshire Farm/Grenada area (dependent on the Petone-Grenada link road however).

There was also mention in the document released of developing the industrial land around the railway yard and port area to the north of the CBD, this could provide up to 3,000 homes.

Here's the article: https://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/107144952/government-asked-to-support-building-ecocity-and-use-kiwibuild-funds-for-capitals-housing-solution

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
The port land is an obvious one, in that - like Auckland - it does not seem to be an efficient user of the space. There should be room for some development there while the essential port activity can remain on a condensed footprint.

But then again, wasn't this the land that was suspect after the earthquake? or was that just the quality of the buildings themselves?

·
Registered
613 Posts
The port land is an obvious one, in that - like Auckland - it does not seem to be an efficient user of the space. There should be room for some development there while the essential port activity can remain on a condensed footprint.

But then again, wasn't this the land that was suspect after the earthquake? or was that just the quality of the buildings themselves?

Im not sure really what they mean about the port/rail land as much of it is in use and presumably needed, though there are pockets (especially around the city end) that seem likely to be able to be used for other purposes.

For instance, Centreport is currently looking at turning the two finger wharves next to Site 10 into residential apartments much like Clyde Quay Wharf was with the apartments there.

Then there's also the future integrated ferry terminal which will free up land opposite the Railway Station and along with the land around the BNZ/Stats House area could be also used for housing. However, this is to say nothing of the suitability of the land which would be something they'd need to figure out (I really don't know what the story is there).

And as for the land around the railway yard, I'm not sure what they mean by this either. It seems to me that most of that land is either critical to railway use or undesirable for housing, though I guess that there's a bit of room along the corridor with Thorndon Quay and perhaps the possibility of building over it (I seem to remember something called Project Kupe: https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/property/96663644/railway-to-stadium-plan-could-transform-poorly-presented-part-of-wellington).

Here are some links off the Regional Council's website showing concepts of the possible development of the two finger wharves opposite Site 10:

http://pnrp.gw.govt.nz/assets/Uploads/Nick-Barratt-Boyes-Appendix-B-Part-9.pdf

http://pnrp.gw.govt.nz/assets/Uploads/Nick-Barratt-Boyes-Appendix-B-Part-8.pdf

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I believe the wharfs around the Bluebridge terminal has recently been re-piled and could potentially be fit for apartments. And I would love to see Aotea Quay turned into a lovely residential boulvevard instead of the Industrial wasteland it is currently. Especially with that horrific Mainfreight terminal and a former warehouse site that I have to walk by everyday...

Regarding the Interislander/Bluebridge Terminals potentially merging, I would love to see that being made a seperate thread on here. The idea of a new world-class ferry terminal does excite me a lot. I would also like to see a kind of Cruise Ship Terminal in the same spot as the ferries in order to free up space for the freight ships needing to dock at Centreport. I often see little room left to dock these days, which means some ships have to be anchored out in the Harbour.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I believe the wharfs around the Bluebridge terminal has recently been re-piled and could potentially be fit for apartments. And I would love to see Aotea Quay turned into a lovely residential boulvevard instead of the Industrial wasteland it is currently. Especially with that horrific Mainfreight terminal and a former warehouse site that I have to walk by everyday...

Regarding the Interislander/Bluebridge Terminals potentially merging, I would love to see that being made a seperate thread on here. The idea of a new world-class ferry terminal does excite me a lot. I would also like to see a kind of Cruise Ship Terminal in the same spot as the ferries in order to free up space for the freight ships needing to dock at Centreport. I often see little room left to dock these days, which means some ships have to be anchored out in the Harbour.
I understand that Centreport is currently investigating the best site for a new cruise terminal (I see the old cruise terminal building has recently been demolished) and one of the likely sites is the Glasgow/Kings Wharf area (which is the area in front of the BNZ building).

I also understand that Centreport is currently putting together a long-term plan which will underline the future use of the port land. Considering that there's all that space around the BNZ/Stats house area currently empty (although there's no telling what will happen to the BNZ) I think it's likely that we'll see more development in this area. Such development would be, however, dependent on moving the Bluebridge Terminal.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Regarding the Interislander/Bluebridge Terminals potentially merging, I would love to see that being made a seperate thread on here. The idea of a new world-class ferry terminal does excite me a lot.
Yeah, although this presentation from Centreport in May '18 makes it clear its still likely to be at Kaiwharawhara,

As the Panel will be aware, we are working with our partners to investigate development of a multi user ferry terminal at Kaiwharawhara within the next 5-10 years. That project, together with directions for the future of the Harbour Quays commercial property precinct, may have major implications for the future use of the finger wharves, including Kings Wharf, Glasgow Wharf, Interisland Wharf and Waterloo Quay Wharf.
http://pnrp.gw.govt.nz/assets/Uploads/HS6-S121-CentrePort-Nick-Wareham-Evidence.PDF

- it also mentions the finger wharf concepts Solom12 linked to above..

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Keeping the ferry terminal at Kaiwharawhara makes sense as it is where the you can load and offload the rail wagons.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Keeping the ferry terminal at Kaiwharawhara makes sense as it is where the you can load and offload the rail wagons.
There is only one "rail" ferry left, and unless uncle shane gives Kiwirail a big pile of $$$ its likely to go the way of the Dodo when its life is up in 10-15 years time...

981 - 1000 of 1587 Posts