SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
22,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know we have the Historic Newcastle thread, and that a LOT of old Newspaper Articles have featured on there, and doubtless will continue to do so.

It is just that I have (as I am sure many others have) a number of copies of "old issues" of our main local newspapers, that do not necessarily contain articles or items about the topics we discuss here on SSC, but are interesting simply because they are 'old' and from our region.

They are part of our history . . . the story of how we got here and why we are how we are today!

I thought it would be good to have a 'dedicated' thread, where examples of (mainly) "Front Pages" from them could be shown, starting with . . .

Evening Chronicle - Monday August 17th 1959.

The above 'first example' I originally thought was actually about something that we HAVE discussed on here, the bombing of Manors Goods Yard during the war, but it is about a later warehouse fire near Manors Station, in 1959. I don't think it was at the 'Manors Goods Yard' . . though I may be wrong about that?

Most 'old newspaper' examples, will not be about SSC related issues or subjects though, I would imagine!

Actually, what finally convinced me to start this thread today, was the item in the next post that is from todays (30th March 2010) copy of the Journal.

·
22,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
100-year-old copies of The Journal unearthed
Mar 30 2010 by Brian Daniel, The Journal

RENOVATIONS at a Northumberland family home have unearthed copies of The Journal dating back more than 100 years.

The Beggs family, of Milfield, near Wooler, discovered numerous editions of our newspaper from 1908 while knocking down a wall.

Dad Peter, 54, who works on the till at Purdy Lodge services near Belford was in the process of demolishing the wall to convert two bedrooms into one on Friday when he found some rolled up old Journals which had seemingly been stuck to the wall for insulation purposes.

The papers, in remarkable condition given their age, date back to a time when The Journal was titled the Newcastle Daily Journal.

Rather than today’s compact format, the newspapers are even bigger than a modern broadsheet.

The papers, from March and April 1908, had edition numbers in the 16,000s and were for sale at the grand price of one penny.

For that, readers were treated to a mix of regional, national and international news.

Like today’s Journal, the Newcastle Daily Journal delivered Northumberland news, including tales of a new golf course being built at Rothbury and all the county’s 11,500 schoolchildren being given medical examinations.

As now, there was also a fair helping of sport with Newcastle United enjoying better fortunes, sitting second-top of the First Division on March 16, 1908, following a 3-0 win over Bury. Rivals Sunderland lost 3-0 to tabletoppers Manchester United, leaving them third bottom.

The papers are before the days of colour and photography in newspapers, but not of advertising. Surviving companies like Fenwicks and Bainbridges feature heavily, while there are also adverts for soap, nails, best toasties and Otterburn Travelling Rugs “as used by the Queen” and costing just 21 shillings.

Housewife mum Ali, 48, said: “They are brilliant. Considering their age, I think they are in really good nick.

“We have been having a read because they are immensely interesting. It was just amazing, just to see them.

You would never get anything like this again, not in such incredible condition.”

Peter, who has lived at Milfield since 1984, plans to place a copy of today’s Journal on the walls when redecorating, in the hope that the story of the family’s amazing find will be discovered in another 100 years.

·
22,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Evening Chronicle - Tuesday December 9th 1980.

Then, a photo of Lennon with his killer, signing an autograph for him a few hours earlier, in the next days DAILY MAIL of 10th December 1980.

·
'Stuffy'
5 Posts
Wow thes are quite interesting, especially the wartime papers.
I am just wondering though if you can find an article inthe evening chronical, i think it was during 1942 possibly 1943 when it was reported that a waaf was murdered on claremont road by a navy officer. Also an article about a female german spy inthe fighter command headquarters in newcastle.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Evening Chronicle - Tuesday June 4th 1940.

Its funny how newspaper language has evolved since then and how words change their meaning. I cant imagine even the most fevered modern-day jingoistic tabloid going with "German Losses are Terrific"

These days the same headline would be followed by four exclamation marks and 'LOL' at the end...

·
22,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its funny how newspaper language has evolved since then and how words change their meaning. I cant imagine even the most fevered modern-day jingoistic tabloid going with "German Losses are Terrific"

These days the same headline would be followed by four exclamation marks and 'LOL' at the end...

Agree with what you're saying about nowadys BL, but I think by "terrific" they dont mean 'terrific/great/fantastic', they just mean 'a lot' (a 'terrific' lot) so that is not quite as jingoistic as it sounds at first!

·
22,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great stuff NH ..

How about June 6th 1944? be interested in seeing that one :)

maxtoon,

I have now added the Evening Chronicle for "D Day June 6th 1944" ('Post 8').

ALSO,

I have added the Evening Chronicle from Tuesday June 4th 1940 (about Dunkirk) to the copy of the Journal of Wednesday June 5th 1940, that you had already seen.

I have added it in to the same post as the Journal, ie 'Post 4'.

·
Southeast Geordie
640 Posts
maxtoon,

I have now added the Evening Chronicle for "D Day June 6th 1944" ('Post 8').

ALSO,

I have added the Evening Chronicle from Tuesday June 4th 1940 (about Dunkirk) to the copy of the Journal of Wednesday June 5th 1940, that you had already seen.

I have added it in to the same post as the Journal, ie 'Post 4'.
Brilliant, thanks a lot NH :eek:kay:

·
22,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow thes are quite interesting, especially the wartime papers.
I am just wondering though if you can find an article inthe evening chronical, i think it was during 1942 possibly 1943 when it was reported that a waaf was murdered on claremont road by a navy officer. Also an article about a female german spy inthe fighter command headquarters in newcastle.
Sorry, I'm afraid I don't have anything on either of those.

·
22,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Evening Chronicle - Monday May 7th 1945.

The ABOVE is my copy of the paper, but I was then amazed to find the BELOW PHOTO of a group of ladies (at 'The Mayfair' 40 years later, on 9th May 1985) holding up a copy of the same paper!! No, I didn't inherit this newspaper and that is not my mother holding it! (no . . wait . . . )

PHOTO courtesy of "Looking Back at Celebrations", published by Newcastle City Libraries, in 1987.

I was partly motivated to use the above front page today (which I think now pretty well uses up most of my "historic wartime" papers) because in the new 'Issue 78' of the Evening Chronicle Remember When supplement (issued Tuesday April 13th 2010) on page 36 they show a view of the following days Evening Chronicle (Tuesday May 8th 1945, which I don't have) which is also 'headlining' the end of the war in Europe . . .

VE Day was celebrated throughout the land, and no more so than in the church hall at Benton Square, where children from Copperas Lane, Turret Road, Buteland, West Vallum, and the Forum got together. In the centre of the very back row of the below photo (4th from the right) is a young blonde-haired lad called Albert. He is now (in 2010) a neighbour of my sister in Killingworth Village, and he remembers those days very well . . .

·
OneWorld
383 Posts
The Journal - Tuesday June 2nd 1953.

Have you any editions which cover the Coronation exclusively,NH? I have encountered a few Newcastle-with-bunting shots in various parts of the media. I was thinking of a '60 Glorious Years' posting, although we should really wait another 3 years for it! However, as some of these captures are on websites that dearly need some TLC with their curation, it might well take that long to discover all of the sad headings these pictures have been put under :eek:hno:

·
22,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have you any editions which cover the Coronation exclusively,NH? I have encountered a few Newcastle-with-bunting shots in various parts of the media. I was thinking of a '60 Glorious Years' posting, although we should really wait another 3 years for it! However, as some of these captures are on websites that dearly need some TLC with their curation, it might well take that long to discover all of the sad headings these pictures have been put under :eek:hno:
I know I have something Funky, but it may only be a front page. I think it is the Newcastle Evening Chronicle, but I think it only covers the 'national' story.

I'll check.

Essentially, that's what this thread is about really (unlike the Historic Newcastle thread, which is about historical events IN this region) it is about how our regional newspapers have covered major historic mainly national and international events, over the years.

·
OneWorld
383 Posts
I know I have something Funky, but it may only be a front page. I think it is the Newcastle Evening Chronicle, but I think it only covers the 'national' story.

I'll check.

Essentially, that's what this thread is about really (unlike the Historic Newcastle thread, which is about historical events IN this region) it is about how our regional newspapers have covered major historic mainly national and international events, over the years.
Go for it then,NH,LOL

I'll try and keep up to speed with you:nuts:

1 - 20 of 119 Posts