SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 119 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Evening Chronicle - Friday October 12th 1984.

to 'fit in' with this weeks hot story about our new Lib Dem/Conservative Coalition Government, after the 6th May 2010 General Election, I searched to see if I had any old newspapers with headlines about previous General Elections.

Sadly (and surprisingly) I couldn't find any, so I have chosen this one, which is, at least, about politicians. It covers the (almost unbelievable) IRA Brighton Hotel Bombing of 1984, when the Conservative party (then in government) were holding their annual conference there.

·
OneWorld
383 Posts
You mean the Newcastle press doesn't have coverage of the Christine Keeler scandal, or the Chancellor of the Exchequer who rented his basement flat to a 'masseuse' in the 1990's?

What a poor showing!!:lol:

·
Super Moderator
22,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I didn't know the IRA tried to bump off the Conservatives...

You surprise me there Anger!

The Brighton Bombing is one of the darkest and most infamous episodes in our history, over recent times.

The 'threat' of possible bombs, were often on my mind while I was living and working in Central London.

I was working very near the Old Bailey courthouse, the day that was bombed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-446557/From-Old-Bailey-bomber-Northern-Ireland-minister.html

A year or so earlier, I had been woken up in the middle of one night by an explosion at the revolving restaurant at the top of the Post Office Tower in the centre of London. (It is now called "the BT Tower", I think).

My room (on the top floor of a college hall of residence) overlooked the Post Office Tower, and its 'twinkling lights' used to be the last thing I saw at night as I went off to sleep.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/october/31/newsid_2464000/2464143.stm

Those sorts of things leave a mark on you.

·
Super Moderator
22,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The Journal - Thursday July 30th 1981.

While Funkydory is continuing the ROYAL theme, with his "Coronation" series (from 1953) on the Historic Newcastle thread, we move closer to current times on here, with the Royal Wedding of 1981 of Charles & Diana . . .

·
Super Moderator
22,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
^^

The above post shows a happy event reported in The Journal of Thursday July 30th 1981.

Then, only sixteen years later . . .

The Journal - Monday September 1st 1997, and Saturday September 6th 1997.
Diana was killed on 30th August 1997.

I remember we had been out all evening (30th August is my wife's birthday) and when we got in and put a news channel on, we were initially (only) a little shocked to hear that Diana had been injured in a road accident, but was thought to be OK.

Not long after that, the same announcer said . . . "we have just been informed that Diana is dead".

I know that not everyone is a 'fan' of the British Royal Family, all I am doing here is showing how the Newcastle newspapers of 1997 reported the events that took place.

·
Super Moderator
22,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The Evening Chronicle - Tuesday May 29th 1951.

Back to a more LOCAL subject, on a front page now . . and a very sombre one at that.

·
Antagonist
393 Posts
I know we have the Historic Newcastle thread, and that a LOT of old Newspaper Articles have featured on there, and doubtless will continue to do so.

It is just that I have (as I am sure many others have) a number of copies of "old issues" of our main local newspapers, that do not necessarily contain articles or items about the topics we discuss here on SSC, but are interesting simply because they are 'old' and from our region.

They are part of our history . . . the story of how we got here and why we are how we are today!

I thought it would be good to have a 'dedicated' thread, where examples of (mainly) "Front Pages" from them could be shown, starting with . . .

Evening Chronicle - Monday August 17th 1959.

Wow, i actually remember my dad taking me to see this, it was on New Bridge St between the New Bridge pub and the Trafalgar pub, probably where the Metro Station stands today.

·
Super Moderator
22,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Wow, i actually remember my dad taking me to see this, it was on New Bridge St between the New Bridge pub and the Trafalgar pub, probably where the Metro Station stands today.

and funnily, it was almost exactly TEN years later (in 1969) that I was standing elsewhere in the City Centre, not far away, watching Callers burn down!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=982536

Well, there wasn't much on the tele back then!!

·
Super Moderator
22,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The Evening Chronicle - Friday August 20th 1982.

After Englands disappointing play at the World Cup so far (two draws from two matches played) I thought we could do with re-visiting some 'more pleasurable' football news from the past. Here is the Evening Chronicle from when Kevin Keegan first arrived at Newcastle United, as a PLAYER . . .

·
Super Moderator
22,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
The Journal - Tuesday May 7th 1974.

WE continue the "football theme" (going back eight years from the previous post) of our old Newspaper Headlines this week.

Today (day of posting, 23rd June 2010) we need to beat Slovenia, to stay in the World Cup. I am posting this BEFORE the match, in the hope that England get a better result today than WE did (in MY first FA Cup Final day, which ended up with me dancing in Trafalgar Square fountains!!) against Liverpool in 1974. Kevin Keegan was 'involved' in 1974 too, though these headlines are ALL about the fantastic homecoming, a few days later . . .

·
Super Moderator
22,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Evening Chronicle - Thursday April 17th 1975.

After yesterdays pathetic performance by England against Germany in the World Cup, here is a far happier England performance. I'll show the BACK PAGE first, as it is one of my favourite headlines about SUPERMAC at his best . . .

An ENLARGEMENT (more easy to read) of the narrative . .

·
Super Moderator
22,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
The Journal and Evening Chronicle - Thursday January 22nd 1976.

Keeping the football theme going (while I'm in the mood!!) and this was one G R E A T day, after we had lost so miserably at Wembley against Liverpool, only 20 months earlier . . . now we were BACK!

Now, I have been to many hundreds of matches at St James' (before and since this one) but the 3-1 Semi-Final defeat of Tottenham that night (it was 3-2 on aggregate) was quite simply the NOISIEST that the ground has ever been. Incredible

Now, I know it is difficult to read the text on the above papers, but it is more the "emotion" of the night that I am trying to catch here, in the old newspapers!

If anyone wants an enlargement of a particular area of text, I'm sure I can oblige!

·
Southeast Geordie
640 Posts
^^^^

Great article NH .. I was also drawn to the Vauxhall ad .. A Cavalier 1600L for £2041, and just loving that Hillman Imp, wow! :eek:kay:

·
cogito ergo sum
1,619 Posts
If anyone wants an enlargement of a particular area of text, I'm sure I can oblige!
Well that's very kind of you, but . . . as I have no interest in sport whatsoever, you may want to reconsider that offer! !
My interest in these pages only relates to the press coverage of railway matters; first, the Pay Train (an abandoned concept), and secondly, a BR threat of a major fares increase.

(please don't go out of your way to scan these in any more detail, but if there's any significant info relating to the "pay train" revenue-model, or the step increase in fares, then I would be very grateful, thank you).

·
Super Moderator
22,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Well that's very kind of you, but . . . as I have no interest in sport whatsoever, you may want to reconsider that offer!

My interest in these pages only relates to the press coverage of railway matters; first, the Pay Train (an abandoned concept), and secondly, a BR threat of a major fares increase.

Please don't go out of your way to scan these in any more detail, but if there's any significant info relating to the "pay train" revenue-model, or the step increase in fares, then I would be very grateful, thank you.

Hi DXN, more than happy to scan in the relevant bits from the recent front pages, that interest you. How coincidental is it that there was something (of interest to you) on BOTH of the last two front pages - bearing in mind they were both shown on here for 'other' reasons!

Anyway, here they are, I'll leave it to you to decide whether the info thereon is significant or not.

The 'Pay Trains' article, from the Evening Chronicle of Thursday April 17th 1975 (Post 33) . .

The 'B R Fares Increases' article, from the Evening Chronicle of Thursday January 22nd 1976 (Post 34) . .

·
Super Moderator
22,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Interesting article from the Evening Chronicle of today (13th July 2010) about a "July 11th 1916" copy of the Evening Chronicle . .

·
Super Moderator
22,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
The Journal - Monday July 21st 1969.

41 years ago tomorrow!

I thought then (we all did) that we would definitely have a fair few colonies on the Moon, by now. What they would be doing I don't know - but they would be there . . .

·
Super Moderator
22,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Evening Chronicle - Wednesday October 10th 1928.

Flying back from the Moon, to a bit closer to home. This is how the Chronicle reported the Royal Opening of the Tyne Bridge in 1928.

21 - 40 of 119 Posts