Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Name: Newtown Quarter
Use: Retail, Commerical, Industrial
Floors: NA
Space: 3600m2

From Neil Fraser's article...
The buildings are being turned into a mixed-use development of 3 600 square metres to be known as Newtown Quarter, with office and warehouse space plus retail. This looks like a really classy development blending the old facades into a modern facility.

Urban Solutions is the architects and it has been involved in a great deal of refurbishment in this area. The project has a courtyard and will be ideal for various types of eating establishments. It will have a substantial and positive effect on the area.

Looks like a quite a cool development! Very 44 Stanley me thinks!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think so because this is private-developer driven. JDA hasn't done anything on this side of Newtown, except for Transport House - and who knows what's going on there?! But I think in time to come the developments will be connected - just think that this is not so far from the Oriental Plaza.

Did anyoe go to the Joy of Jazz festival this weekend? Apparently they closed the streets of Newtown, and cafes were overflowing on to the streets. It was a really festive atmosphere it seems!

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
12,480 Posts
I don't think so because this is private-developer driven. JDA hasn't done anything on this side of Newtown, except for Transport House - and who knows what's going on there?! But I think in time to come the developments will be connected - just think that this is not so far from the Oriental Plaza.
Sometimes this year or early next year JDA will be starting with the project to revitalize the area Fordsburg so we might see something coming up there. It would be nice if they leave all those buildings as 2 or 3 floors high buildings and open up cafes, resturants etc. That will definately give life to the area.

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
12,480 Posts
I'm not sure if they still busy with this as it seems like there's no working going on unless if they working solely on the inside. The development in Carr Street should also accelarate this development.

·
Registered
19 Posts
after a year or so of nothing, there's activity on the site again - drove past it on sunday and there was a truck going in and i looked in and there were quite a few workers with tools. don't know what it means but it may well mean something

·
Afritect
5,049 Posts
the director/founder of urban solutions was my design lecture great guy really loves the inner city"brought that into his lectures made most students pro cbd and against the tasteless sandton also was enthusiastic about our african heritage " ..he was a on an inner city special with neil fraser last year

·
Construction agent
41 Posts
Could this be the same project? Just different? I have chatted to Urban Solutions and they are not involved in Newtown Quarter anymore.
"The latter, the Majestic, is the site opposite Gramadoelas, the great restaurant at the east end of Museum Africa next to the Market Theatre. The JDA called for and received proposals for the development of the sites last year'. (Citichat, Neil Fraser, 2006 article)
New mixed use development of 1000m2 of retail on the ground floor and 7000m2 of office space on the upper levels. Existing buildings to be demolished and the facades to be retained for the mixed use development.
Centrally located in the courtyard of the Market Theatre - separated from the theatre by a pedestrian mall in Margaret Mcingana Street.
The developer (Atterbury) is in the process of obtaining heritage and zoning rights.
Kate Otten and Mashabane Rose are the architects involved.

·
Afritect
5,049 Posts
Could this be the same project? Just different? I have chatted to Urban Solutions and they are not involved in Newtown Quarter anymore.
"The latter, the Majestic, is the site opposite Gramadoelas, the great restaurant at the east end of Museum Africa next to the Market Theatre. The JDA called for and received proposals for the development of the sites last year'. (Citichat, Neil Fraser, 2006 article)
New mixed use development of 1000m2 of retail on the ground floor and 7000m2 of office space on the upper levels. Existing buildings to be demolished and the facades to be retained for the mixed use development.
Centrally located in the courtyard of the Market Theatre - separated from the theatre by a pedestrian mall in Margaret Mcingana Street.
The developer (Atterbury) is in the process of obtaining heritage and zoning rights.
Kate Otten and Mashabane Rose are the architects involved.
wow that's got me interested kate otten and mashabane are great architects jeremy is okay hope it goes thru

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
12,480 Posts
Passed here just over a week ago and there's 0 progress, so dissapoitning thinking that it could have been an accelerator of investment bewteen Frodsburg and Newtown.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.