Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Crazy young doge man
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seeing as we have a olympic thread, heres the Commonwealth games thread.

·
Crazy young doge man
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did make a poll but not within 5 minutes so it didnt go up and it had 15 options and im a slow typer!!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Anyone know where in Aus is considering bidding. Both Christchurch and Auckland are considering it for 2018... both have hosted before though.

·
Registered
77,333 Posts
god, if we do get another com games, its so far off. decades.we will be all old and grey by then.

·
Where am I?
487 Posts
Comm games are a VAST waste of taxpayer money. The only good thing that Melbourne got out of the Comm games were the upgrading of the MCG to become the greatest stadium in the world.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Comm games are a VAST waste of taxpayer money. The only good thing that Melbourne got out of the Comm games were the upgrading of the MCG to become the greatest stadium in the world.
for once i'd have to agree with bozo. I'm not even sure its the greatest stadium in Australia (unless you define greatest as biggest)

I think the recent upgrade made the MCG look worse. For all the money that was spent you'd think they could've come up with a more cohesive (and modern) design. I would've put a new and wider roof all the way around. Perhaps suspended, translucent and sloping upward. Definitely providing greater coverage for the spectators. Consistent height stands too should go without saying.

As for the comm games, who needs it. They're boring and below standard. The UK and Canada dont take it seriously, so whats the point?

·
Registered
278 Posts
As for the comm games, who needs it. They're boring and below standard. The UK and Canada dont take it seriously, so whats the point?
The games get pretty huge ratings in Australia... which I always assumed was because of their sheer dominance. I read somewhere that if Australian states were competing separately in Manchester, they would still have made 3 out the top 4.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The games get pretty huge ratings in Australia... which I always assumed was because of their sheer dominance. I read somewhere that if Australian states were competing separately in Manchester, they would still have made 3 out the top 4.
that'd make it more interesting. but it still wouldnt be a world class event.

·
Registered
278 Posts
It's not the Olympics, but it's still in the Top 5 biggest sporting events in the World (after both Olympics and the soccer and rugby World Cups).

·
Registered
448 Posts
It's not the Olympics, but it's still in the Top 5 biggest sporting events in the World (after both Olympics and the soccer and rugby World Cups).
how do you measure that?

thats as ridiculous as saying Melbourne is the world's most liveable city.

there are dozens (maybe even hundreds) of sporting events that more people care about than the Comm games.

·
Registered
278 Posts
In terms of viewership and participants. The Manchester Games were the largest sports event ever staged in Britain and the 2006 games here the biggest outside an Olympics in Australia.

·
Registered
448 Posts
in terms of viewership i say bullshit. those numbers are estimates (guestimates at best) and they're always trumped up to make the event seem more marketable. Then somebody says it and its taken as fact, then everybody else just assumes it true.

participation counts for bollocks. Thats like saying the local pennant tennis competition is bigger than Wimbledon because it has more participants, or the AFL grand final is bigger than the FA cup because there's more players on the field.

·
Banned
481 Posts
Once upon a time you could categorise the Comm Games as mickey mouse. But I think Melbourne just made them interesting again. New Dehli has them next, wait til you see what they do with them...I suspect it'll be huge.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts