SkyscraperCity banner

The next Canadian city to host a world event after Vancouver's Olympics is...

• ...Vancouver

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • ...Edmonton

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • ...Calgary

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • ...Winnipeg

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • ...Toronto

Votes: 36 38.3%
  • ...Ottawa

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • ...Hamilton

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • ...Montreal

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • ...Quebec City

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • ...Halifax

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • ...Victoria

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • ...other

• ...none of the above as Canada, from coast to coast, would host the FIFA World Cup.

• ...none because the world would've ended when Vancouver hosted 2010.

• ...none because America would've invaded us by 2011.

Votes: 6 6.4%
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which Canadian city will host a world event, after Vancouver hosts the 2010 Olympics, whether it be the Winter or Summer Olympics, Commonwealth Games, Winter or Summer Universiade, Expo World's Fair, or the Pan American Games? OR do you see the whole nation hosting a FIFA event - most specifically, the FIFA World Cup.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Edmonton World Master Games 2005
FINA World Championships Montreal 2005
-------Future-------
Vancouver Winter Olympics 2010
FIFA World Youth Championship 2007
-------Predict-------
Hamilton Commonwealth Games 2014
Toronto Expo 2015

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bluenoser said:
Depends what you mean by "world event"
the "world events" are in my original topic maker post.

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just a little off-topic. has anybody seen this version someone made of the NYC 2012 Olympic Bid logo? lol.....

its so true! :cheers:

·
www.mtlurb.com
2,159 Posts
I think that in the next 10 to 20 years, if the popularity of Football (the real one) keep going up, we will see the world cup in Canada. Its totally real with the final being played in the big O (73000 capacity):D

·
Registered
303 Posts
Well in 2007 the World under 20 championships will be held in Canada (thats the second largest FIFA event) with games happening or sure in Edmonton and Toronto with 4 other cities in the running.

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^ i think Vancouver will definetely be part of the four. the Whitecaps are lobying very very very hard for this and there's a lot of public support for it to be here in Vancouver. it's the same in Victoria.

·
Registered
16 Posts
malek said:
I think that in the next 10 to 20 years, if the popularity of Football (the real one) keep going up, we will see the world cup in Canada. Its totally real with the final being played in the big O (73000 capacity):D

It would need real grass wouldn't it?

I highly doubt we will see any major stadium being built with a capacity over 45000 in the next 20 years (Calgary is the only exception but chances are it will be less than 50 000). In that case if a large soccer event ever came here I would have to think Edmonton would play the prominent role in hosting it. I'm not being a homer here either, personally I wish soccer was a desease we could rid North America of. Just looking at the venues available, and considering were a nation that doesn't really have the need for any more massive stadiums the chances of a second 50 000+ being built in Toronto/Montreal/vancouver would be slim.

Next big event would be Edmonton or Toronto.

Edmonton because of it's history of large sporting events, and Toronto because it's batting a really low percentage when it comes to major events and you would have to think is due.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
I'm more than happy for Toronto to keep hosting major international events like TIFF...and that's every year...not once in a lifetime.

KGB

·
www.mtlurb.com
2,159 Posts
whats the TIFF??

9OSHO: the SKYDOME can hold International level footbal matches with natural grass, it was done last year, it can be done again.

For the Big O in Montreal, I think they did have natural grass way before for the olympics and some other events, it can be done too... the only hurdle is the retractable roof, which doesn't retract anymore.

·
Registered
16 Posts
malek said:
9OSHO: the SKYDOME can hold International level footbal matches with natural grass, it was done last year, it can be done again.

For the Big O in Montreal, I think they did have natural grass way before for the olympics and some other events, it can be done too... the only hurdle is the retractable roof, which doesn't retract anymore.
I never realized they temporarly put in grass in Skydome...excuse me Rogers Center. Would this be something they would be able to do for a two or three week long event? I'm guessing you could rig up some sort of sprinkler system at Rogers Center but the Big O would be far more challenging.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts