SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Architect
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Next Merging Southeastern Metros?

I've noticed how much you people bitch about theses made up mergers between metropolitan areas, so I've decided to ask you this:

What two (or more) metro areas in the Southeast will merge before all others.

There, now you can make up as many as you like.

·
Architect
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My choice goes to Atlanta and Athens. I think they'll merge within the next 5 or 10 years, 15 years at the latest.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Matt - you have been inquisitive! ;)

Atlanta & Athens will likely become a consolidated metro - but not a merged metro. Greenville & Spartanburg will likely become a consolidated metro again. I don't see any reason Tuscaloosa & Birmingham will be merged, if any Alabama metro is merged it will be Decatur & Huntsville first or even Mobile & Gulfport MS.

·
Architect
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^Sorry for the confusion. I didn't specificly mean MSAs. CMSAs or whatever will do just fine.

@ralex231: What is the triangle and the triad?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
louisianacharm said:
new orleans-baton rouge
They've already merged with the technical metropolitan areas established by the census bureau already next to each other and intermingling. So, according to this threads topic, New Orleans-Baton Rouge doesn't apply. It's already happened with commuters in several parishes next to each other with the MSA's commuting to either one of these cities.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I seriously doubt the triangle and triad will merge within the next 15 years. Those metros are still a 1.5-2 hour drive apart.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Charlotte and Columbia??????

·
Registered
211 Posts
Though granted......places like the Greensboro-Kernersville and GSP will remerge first.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
atlrvr said:
Charlotte and Columbia??????
Heh, yeah - the Catawba River Valley is the modern day Golden Crescent of the ancient past! Winnsboro, Lancaster & Chester are absolutely busting at the seams! ;)

·
Panache
133 Posts
Not to sound like a bitch, but i've always wondered why southerners (on this forum at least) are seemingly so obsessed with "merging metros". I mean, I know its exciting to some people to see population figures increase by whatever means, but all a "merging metro" is in the south is multiple cities connecting by a thin strip of disgusting, destructive, and irresponsible sprawl. It is typically not anything to be proud of. Just wondering.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Skanky the Boricuo said:
Not to sound like a bitch, but i've always wondered why southerners (on this forum at least) are seemingly so obsessed with "merging metros". I mean, I know its exciting to some people to see population figures increase by whatever means, but all a "merging metro" is in the south is multiple cities connecting by a thin strip of disgusting, destructive, and irresponsible sprawl. It is typically not anything to be proud of. Just wondering.

you're not alone. and if i see another thread on your favorite freeways in the south. :bleep:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Skanky the Boricuo said:
Well, you are a bitch. NO really - I keed I keed.

I don't know why - metro populations are an over inflated representation of overall small & relatively insignificant urban areas. Atlanta has nearly 5 million? Charlotte has nearly 2 million? Obviously the next dramatic step would be simply adding metro areas to other ones, though they are often connected by not 'sprawl' but an invisibile land pattern called exurbia. It's like radon, many people live with it but don't know what it is - & what destruction it can cause.

But I have more & more grown weary of metro populations, they are only a collection of counties that share similar commuting patterns.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sean in New Orleans said:
They've already merged with the technical metropolitan areas established by the census bureau already next to each other and intermingling. So, according to this threads topic, New Orleans-Baton Rouge doesn't apply. It's already happened with commuters in several parishes next to each other with the MSA's commuting to either one of these cities.
Those two metro areas have been geographically adjacent to each other for decades since Ascension Parish (Baton Rouge) and St. John Parish (New Orleans) were added to the respective msa's--at least as far back as the 1980 census.

While at some point, it's conceivable that the two metros might meet the Census commuting standards for a CSA, they'll never be merged into one metro.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts